• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Larger font for SMS messages

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum and brand new to android phones. I have just got the Samsung Galaxy Ace. The problem I'm having (well, one of them!) is that the font of SMS is too small for me to see as I'm long-sighted.

I can't seem to find a way to increase the font size. I've looked in the most obvious places, but I must be missing it - again, probably an eyesight thing! - as I know most phones (even old ones) have this ability.

If anyone can direct me to the setting to adjust the font size, I'd be really grateful as it would mean I can read and send text messages when my glasses aren't within reach!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sorry - am guessing you are over 40 like me. I have returned my Android phone after 2 weeks because of this problem. Absolutely shocked to find on text entry the font size is almost microscopic and you cannot vary it. Affects the basic phone use of Contact management and SMS management. Googled it, finding many people with same problem and complaints dating back to first Android release, tried all the apps suggested as solution, but all had drawbacks. Not willing to 'root' the new phone. This should be a basic feature of the phone to allow you to use it as a phone instead of an amusing games machine!! Loved the phone for the amusing extras, but only when I had magnifying glasses handy, which I do not when I am mobile .... oh I almost forgot, this is supposed to be a MOBILE phone. Will return to Android only if they fix this in the base product. Meantime looking around for alternative smartphone that does not have this problem ... am guessing Nokia/Windows combo is likely solution for me......

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum and brand new to android phones. I have just got the Samsung Galaxy Ace. The problem I'm having (well, one of them!) is that the font of SMS is too small for me to see as I'm long-sighted.

I can't seem to find a way to increase the font size. I've looked in the most obvious places, but I must be missing it - again, probably an eyesight thing! - as I know most phones (even old ones) have this ability.

If anyone can direct me to the setting to adjust the font size, I'd be really grateful as it would mean I can read and send text messages when my glasses aren't within reach!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Just got my new phone and have the same problem!
just posted it and seen yours
Did you get anywere with it ???

Upvote 0
I solved this in a similar way to what Gammer suggests. As there is no way to increase font size within the pre-installed messaging software, I downloaded a free app from Android Market, but in my case the app is Handcent.
It is fully customizable (if that's a word?!), including font size, bold, italic etc right through to background and text colours and style.
I have now got my fonts exactly how I need AND I CAN READ MY TEXTS! :D Ha ha!
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Brian566
Upvote 0
I solved this in a similar way to what Gammer suggests. As there is no way to increase font size within the pre-installed messaging software, I downloaded a free app from Android Market, but in my case the app is Handcent.
It is fully customizable (if that's a word?!), including font size, bold, italic etc right through to background and text colours and style.
I have now got my fonts exactly how I need AND I CAN READ MY TEXTS! :D Ha ha!
Hope this helps.

Just downloaded it but can not see were you change text size:thinking:

Just found there are two different setting tabs now sorted :eek:

Reactions: rhiannonon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones