• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Larger S-Pen for Galaxy Note 8.0

RichardChiu

Jul 11, 2013
My Galaxy Note 8.0 has become my ultimate productivity tool, replacing my Livescribe, Nexus 7 and countless Moleskine notebooks and planners. However, I don't like the size of the S-Pen. It's just too small to be writing comfortably for long periods of time.

I have searched for a larger pen, but have not been successful. Here are some of the pens I've tried:

Surface Pro Pen:
- Comfortable, but feels a bit cheap and price is decent. Eraser mode works well. However, the issue is with calibration. When the pen is perpendicular to the screen, it's accurate. Using the pen at an angle and the pointer is way off. Not usable.

Compaq Pen:
- From my old HP/Compaq tc4400 convertible tablet. Same calibration issues as Surface Pro Pen.

Samsung S-Pen Holder:
- I was really excited to get this and waited over 4 weeks after ordering on Ebay. I remember reading all S-Pens work across the Note devices. The pen feels great, solid but not too heavy with rubber grip. But to my disappointment, the calibration on the pen was also off when used at an angle! I know this was made for the original Samsung Note, but I was hoping the technology in use was the same.

So any other options for a larger pen was will work and be accurate with the Galaxy Note 8.0? If Samsung makes a new S-Pen holder for the Note 8.0, I would buy in a heartbeat but I haven't seen anything announced.

I had the Note, then upgraded to Note 2 and also have the Note 10.1. I currently use the S Pen with eraser designed for the Note 10.1. I also found there is a slight calibration issue with the S Pens in general. But at most, they are only off by a very small margin (~ less than 1mm). But not as drastic as the MS Surface Pro pens or other digital pens (which can greater than 2mm).

At least in my experience. I own the S Pen holder, S Pen with eraser, Note 2 OEM and Note 10.1 OEM S Pens.

The S Pen with eraser also comes with interchangeable nibs.

Here's my collection of Pens:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/689943-my-wacom-pen-collection-note-2-10-1-a.html

Here's a comparison shot between the S Pen Holder, S Pen with eraser and regular BIC pen:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...axy-note-s-pen-stylus-holder.html#post5931382

Edit: There's also a BT S Pen available. But definitely more pricey due to BT and doesn't have an eraser.

Reactions: RichardChiu
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize the BT S-Pen is actually made by Samsung. I'm hesitant to buy it without first confirming there will be no calibration issues.

Unfortunately with the S-Pen Holder with my Note 8.0, I do notice a 1-2mm offset when using at an angle. It's noticeable enough that I don't like using it over the standard Note 8.0 S-Pen, despite it being more comfortable to write with.

Maybe I'll just hack something together to make the Note 8.0 S-Pen beefier. Make my own franken S-Pen!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize the BT S-Pen is actually made by Samsung. I'm hesitant to buy it without first confirming there will be no calibration issues.

Unfortunately with the S-Pen Holder with my Note 8.0, I do notice a 1-2mm offset when using at an angle. It's noticeable enough that I don't like using it over the standard Note 8.0 S-Pen, despite it being more comfortable to write with.

Maybe I'll just hack something together to make the Note 8.0 S-Pen beefier. Make my own franken S-Pen!

It's funny because I never had any calibration issues, until I was checking work email from a browser today. For the first time, I noticed that even though the indicator was hovering/pointing at the item I wanted to click on, when I went to actually click, it would trigger something .5-1cm higher. Really odd.

Has anybody tried this:
How to fix S-pen if too Sensitive or Visa-versa. (on Note 2) - YouTube

Upvote 0
It's funny because I never had any calibration issues, until I was checking work email from a browser today. For the first time, I noticed that even though the indicator was hovering/pointing at the item I wanted to click on, when I went to actually click, it would trigger something .5-1cm higher. Really odd.
Actually I found this to be more of a browser issue. If I used Chrome, the input would be off by a very good margin. If I used stock or Opera, the input was more accurate. I think it's something in the page coding or browser that is causing this. If all the browsers I used did the same thing, then I would be inclined to say it was a pen calibration issue, but it wasn't as one browser worked fine and the other didn't.

However, on a side note, the S Pen with eraser (that's supposed to be designed for the Note 10.1) would be off by a good 2-3 mm if in the Note 10.1's notification bar, but it's fine when used on the rest of the screen. Now that's odd behaviour... never figured that one out.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Actually I found this to be more of a browser issue. If I used Chrome, the input would be off by a very good margin. If I used stock or Opera, the input was more accurate. I think it's something in the page coding or browser that is causing this. If all the browsers I used did the same thing, then I would be inclined to say it was a pen calibration issue, but it wasn't as one browser worked fine and the other didn't.

However, on a side note, the S Pen with eraser (that's supposed to be designed for the Note 10.1) would be off by a good 2-3 mm if in the Note 10.1's notification bar, but it's fine when used on the rest of the screen. Now that's odd behaviour... never figured that one out.

Thanks, NG. I am gonna try using the oem browser more often now. That's a little disappointing. Never had the issue on my Note 2, but definitely not deal breaker.

Upvote 0
No. None of the Notes have Pen calibration software. They only have 'auto calibration' software which doesn't work perfectly or not work at all with certain pens.
Not that my voice matters but I agree. Very often a bit of necroposting helps.

FYI, for people looking for a larger pen for your N8 hunt for the Wacom CS3002 model number Bamboo Feel. That is the model pen that's compatible with our N8's. Be aware there is also a CS300 (note only 3-digits in the numeric portion) which has the offset issue.

You can go to Wacom's EU site to track it down. Also as far as I've been able to find the CS-3002 is only available outside the US market. I got lucky finding one by accident.

http://forum.Wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14181

Be aware some places have a model in stock which has an offset issue. It seems those are not in blue boxes but do have a blue sticker indicating "Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Note". the read several comments indicating the offset. My CS3O02W had blue & white packaging. So if you order I'd confirm the packaging and model number.

Upvote 0
Interesting enough in the US Wacom site they have a model CS300UK2. Which is labeled as "Bamboo Stylus feel for Samsung Galaxy Note". Available in black or white.

Edit: It states tested devices: Note I, Note II, Note 8.0 and Note 10.1

Product Page: http://www.wacom.com/us/en/everyday/bamboo-stylus-feel-samsung-galaxy-note
Store Page: http://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CS300UK2?

The only thing I didn't like about it is that there is no eraser, which is why I didn't get it and got/use the S-Pen with eraser. But I have the Note 10.1.

Upvote 0
Amazed that Samsung didn't allow nibs to be replaced/changed on the Note 1, Note 2 and Note 8 models. I really hate the slippery feel with the plastic nibs on them. Finally swapped out the S-Pen with eraser standard (white) nib with the flex (black with white tip) nib. Feels much more natural to me in writing and drawing as there is a feeling of some resistance. That's probably because it has a rubber tip opposed to the plastic tip.

Upvote 0
Amazed that Samsung didn't allow nibs to be replaced/changed on the Note 1, Note 2 and Note 8 models. I really hate the slippery feel with the plastic nibs on them. Finally swapped out the S-Pen with eraser standard (white) nib with the flex (black with white tip) nib. Feels much more natural to me in writing and drawing as there is a feeling of some resistance. That's probably because it has a rubber tip opposed to the plastic tip.

Where'd you get the replacement nibs? I've been wanting to replace the nib with the same/similar nib that's on the Note 8, which I feel is so much more responsive.

Upvote 0
Where'd you get the replacement nibs? I've been wanting to replace the nib with the same/similar nib that's on the Note 8, which I feel is so much more responsive.
To tell you the truth, I totally forgot that the S-Pen with eraser and the Note 10.1 both came with 5 replacement nibs. The Note 10.1 had 2 white standard nibs and 3 black with white tip flex nibs. The S-Pen with eraser came with 1 white standard nib and 4 black with white tip flex nibs. I actually sent an email to Wacom to see where I can acquire more replacement nibs or what would be compatible in their current line-up.

I'll post back if they reply back.

The Wacom Bamboo Stylus Feel does have replacement nibs (soft and firm; no flex) for sale. Just not sure if they would be compatible with the Note 10.1 S-Pens.

Upvote 0
To tell you the truth, I totally forgot that the S-Pen with eraser and the Note 10.1 both came with 5 replacement nibs. The Note 10.1 had 2 white standard nibs and 3 black with white tip flex nibs. The S-Pen with eraser came with 1 white standard nib and 4 black with white tip flex nibs. I actually sent an email to Wacom to see where I can acquire more replacement nibs or what would be compatible in their current line-up.

I'll post back if they reply back.

The Wacom Bamboo Stylus Feel does have replacement nibs (soft and firm; no flex) for sale. Just not sure if they would be compatible with the Note 10.1 S-Pens.

Really?...LOL...I'll have to dig into the box for the s-pen w/ eraser. I forgot until you mentioned it here...LOL.

Upvote 0
As promised, here's the reply I got back from Wacom. Pretty disappointing if you ask me...

You would need to check with Samsung directly for compatible nibs. Unfortunately, I am not sure if a specific Wacom nib would work in that pen. The nibs for Wacom tablets are all cross compatible, but are larger than that of the S Pen.

So, I just shot an email to Samsung support to see what their reply would be. Although I'm guessing it's going to be along the lines of buying another S Pen, since they probably don't provide them for sale to the general public.

Upvote 0
Just an update from Samsung. LOL.

Here's what I originally wrote:
Subject: S Pen Replacement Nibs
Hello, I am inquiring where replacement nibs for the Galaxy Note 10.1 S Pen and S Pen with eraser can be found or acquired. I have contacted Wacom and they referred me to you as they were not aware of what would be compatible as their nibs are larger than what the S Pen uses. I can confirm this as I have a Wacom Intuos5 Pen Tablet. Any information that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Here's the reply:
Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Care.
After reviewing your email, I understand that you would like to purchase the S-pen for your tab.

We would like to inform you that Samsung does not sell its products directly to its customer and you need to purchase them from your local authorized Samsung dealers and online retailers.

As you are trying to purchase a S-pen, we would like to inform you that if you reside from any of the location from A/B you need to contact the respective as mentioned below:

A) <Location 1>

B) <Location 2>

If you does not reside in the above mentioned places, you can contact our Samsung Canada Parts who is our authorized parts dealer at www.samsungcanadaparts.com and the contact information is 1-877-407-6593 timings Mon - Fri: 7:30am to 8:00pm, Sat: 8:00am to 4:00pm.

You can contact them and can purchase the parts online.

We hope we&#8217;ve answered your inquiry. Please let us know if there are any additional questions or concerns.
You can also visit our How To & FAQ >section on the website for more product information.

We deeply value your loyalty to Samsung and are committed to provide you with the highest level of customer
service. If for any reason theinformation we provided did not resolve your issue, we have various
contact channels that are available to assist in resolving your concern

For immediate assistance with a live agent, you can chat with us here

For support by phone, you can reach us at 1-800-SAMSUNG(726-7864)
Samsung&#8217;s Social Media Team is available to assist with providing up-to-date information or answering questions.
Visit us on Facebook
Visit us on Twitter

I guess we're out of luck if we wear out our nibs and need a replacement. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Just buy an an S Pen with eraser model #ET-S200EBEGSTA. Amazon has merchants that sell these pens which include replacement nibs for as little as $18 including shipping. I've been using this pen exclusively since I received it and I keep the original pen holstered.
I do have the S Pen with eraser... :rolleyes:

I was inquiring for the replacement nibs found in the S Pen. Considering the Wacom nibs only cost around $5 (standard nibs) -$10 (specialty/spring loaded nibs) for 5 replacement nibs. Buying another S Pen with eraser is pointless and not needed. It is also more costly per nib (going that route). Also in Canada, good luck finding an S Pen with eraser for that cheap with shipping costs (provided they ship to Canada or anywhere else outside US).

Upvote 0
Not that my voice matters but I agree. Very often a bit of necroposting helps.

FYI, for people looking for a larger pen for your N8 hunt for the Wacom CS3002 model number Bamboo Feel. That is the model pen that's compatible with our N8's. Be aware there is also a CS300 (note only 3-digits in the numeric portion) which has the offset issue.

You can go to Wacom's EU site to track it down. Also as far as I've been able to find the CS-3002 is only available outside the US market. I got lucky finding one by accident.

Wacom Forum - Wacom Europe GmbH &bull; View topic - Bamboo Stylus Feel CS-300; Differences between the versions?

Be aware some places have a model in stock which has an offset issue. It seems those are not in blue boxes but do have a blue sticker indicating "Compatible with Samsung Galaxy Note". the read several comments indicating the offset. My CS3O02W had blue & white packaging. So if you order I'd confirm the packaging and model number.

Thanks for the info about the Bamboo Feel stylus. I've been trying to track down the Blue version for Galaxy Note, but can't find any seller that will ship to Canada. There are a few listed on Ebay, but those look to be the stylus not for the Galaxy Note.

Upvote 0
I do have the S Pen with eraser... :rolleyes:

I was inquiring for the replacement nibs found in the S Pen. Considering the Wacom nibs only cost around $5 (standard nibs) -$10 (specialty/spring loaded nibs) for 5 replacement nibs. Buying another S Pen with eraser is pointless and not needed. It is also more costly per nib (going that route). Also in Canada, good luck finding an S Pen with eraser for that cheap with shipping costs (provided they ship to Canada or anywhere else outside US).

I know what you mean. I can't find the S Pen with Eraser at any retailer. I do see listings on Ebay, but none sell for less than $30. Frustrating that Samsung doesn't make their accessories more available.

Upvote 0
Interesting enough in the US Wacom site they have a model CS300UK2. Which is labeled as "Bamboo Stylus feel for Samsung Galaxy Note". Available in black or white.

Edit: It states tested devices: Note I, Note II, Note 8.0 and Note 10.1

Product Page: Bamboo Stylus feel for Samsung Galaxy Note | Wacom
Store Page: http://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CS300UK2?

The only thing I didn't like about it is that there is no eraser, which is why I didn't get it and got/use the S-Pen with eraser. But I have the Note 10.1.

BTW...This was available at Best Buy for $39.99 at Best Buy. It's retail costs elsewhere, aside from the Wacom store directly, are much more expensive. Nonetheless, I had extra gift cards (since I didn't end up getting Geek Squad protection), and this thing is absolutely worth every penny!

While I love the S-pen with eraser, the button on this Wacom stylus works exactly as the S-pen button does...and it just seems like I can write much better than the S-pen with eraser or even built in S-pen! The pressure sensitivity even seems that much better on this thing (or maybe it's just the fact that it's bigger, so I can place better pressure when writing, due to it not being as awkward to hold.

2013-10-07_11-40-30_932.jpg

Upvote 0
BTW...This was available at Best Buy for $39.99 at Best Buy. It's retail costs elsewhere, aside from the Wacom store directly, are much more expensive. Nonetheless, I had extra gift cards (since I didn't end up getting Geek Squad protection), and this thing is absolutely worth every penny!

While I love the S-pen with eraser, the button on this Wacom stylus works exactly as the S-pen button does...and it just seems like I can write much better than the S-pen with eraser or even built in S-pen! The pressure sensitivity even seems that much better on this thing (or maybe it's just the fact that it's bigger, so I can place better pressure when writing, due to it not being as awkward to hold.
And the best part about this is that Wacom does sell replacement nibs for the Bamboo Feel. Unfortunately, it's not an easy find here in Canada. We would need to outsource for this and the nibs. Which means more costs. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones