• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Last day with htc desire tomorrow xe arrives

chris 290

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Well I have had the desire from just after launch. Sick of the memory issue as I have not had the guts or knowledge to root.

Decided to upgrade today and first looked at the new galaxy nexus, was surprised at how ugly and cheap looking the phone was. So went on the hunt for an alternative, played with the sensation xe and decided to go for it.

Have I done the right thing?

Hello to all by the way....

Phone will be delivered tomorrow, I probably should have waited for something like the htc edge but im intending to get a next gen tablet some time next year.

nervous and excited at the same time :)

Well, the phone arrived and all is not well...

Two hours in and the phone crashed for the first time and did a full reset.

It is quite clear to me from the moment I switched it on that the phone used a huge amount of ram. Over time, this equates to phone constantly reloading sense. By day 8, sense reloaded every time I left the internet, after leaving some applications and on occasions just swiping between home screens.

Once the phone lost its display and needed a battery pull. The phone I have is the worst I have owned ever bar none. It is being returned tomorrow hopefully for a full refund as I never want to experience this phone again.

It may be that I have a dud phone but sense 3 uses so many resources that I dont believe that another phone will be much better.

I did breifly try another launcher (lancher pro). I thought this would solve the problem by bypassing sense. Launcher pro ran much to my surprise - slowly!!! I had used launcher pro on a previos desire and on an orange san francisco where it ran smooth as butter.

Have no idea how this phone could be considered top of HTC line with so little ram ruining what would otherwise be a great phone.

So dissapointed as I gave my original desire to my sister and have to use a dumb phone until I find an alternative android buddy again.

Any help and advice about what I should look for next would be greatly appreciated. Features I want are:

Front facing camera
os - 2.3.4 or higher (for google talk)
good speaker quality (like to use speaker phone)
1gb+ for apps

Budget not so important but I need a stable phone that I can video chat on and that doesnt run out of space for apps.

Please somone give me some advice

Upvote 0
I had a desire and moved to the XE, it was a pain that it imported Facebook contacts as 'real' contacts as well as the contacts I had linked to them - if you know what I mean, thought it then wants you to look these to facebook again.

Never had it fail or need a reboot. My only issue is Handcent SMS was great on the desire, different colour LED flash for different people and it actually flashed. On the XE you can't seem to get it to set a colour and even when set to flash, it doesn't, so if you are not in earshot when it beeps it gives no indication of having had a text in.

Other than the above, I am really pleased with it and sounds are a lot better then the Desire, turn the Beats Audio off and it is wrse than the Desire but I would still like a bit of a graphic equaliser on it like I had on a Nokia N95.

Upvote 0
Well, the phone arrived and all is not well...

Two hours in and the phone crashed for the first time and did a full reset.

It is quite clear to me from the moment I switched it on that the phone used a huge amount of ram. Over time, this equates to phone constantly reloading sense. By day 8, sense reloaded every time I left the internet, after leaving some applications and on occasions just swiping between home screens.

Once the phone lost its display and needed a battery pull. The phone I have is the worst I have owned ever bar none. It is being returned tomorrow hopefully for a full refund as I never want to experience this phone again.

It may be that I have a dud phone but sense 3 uses so many resources that I dont believe that another phone will be much better.

I did breifly try another launcher (lancher pro). I thought this would solve the problem by bypassing sense. Launcher pro ran much to my surprise - slowly!!! I had used launcher pro on a previos desire and on an orange san francisco where it ran smooth as butter.

Have no idea how this phone could be considered top of HTC line with so little ram ruining what would otherwise be a great phone.

So dissapointed as I gave my original desire to my sister and have to use a dumb phone until I find an alternative android buddy again.

Any help and advice about what I should look for next would be greatly appreciated. Features I want are:

Front facing camera
os - 2.3.4 or higher (for google talk)
good speaker quality (like to use speaker phone)
1gb+ for apps

Budget not so important but I need a stable phone that I can video chat on and that doesnt run out of space for apps.

Please somone give me some advice

I know this is 3 month old post "advice" pack it up and send for a replacement. Had my XE for 3 days now and i find it a stunning handset with no problems whatsoever.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones