1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Last day with htc desire tomorrow xe arrives

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chris 290, Nov 17, 2011.

1. chris 290

chris 290 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Well I have had the desire from just after launch. Sick of the memory issue as I have not had the guts or knowledge to root.

Decided to upgrade today and first looked at the new galaxy nexus, was surprised at how ugly and cheap looking the phone was. So went on the hunt for an alternative, played with the sensation xe and decided to go for it.

Have I done the right thing?

Hello to all by the way....

Phone will be delivered tomorrow, I probably should have waited for something like the htc edge but im intending to get a next gen tablet some time next year.

nervous and excited at the same time :)

Advertisement

2. chris 290

chris 290 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Well, the phone arrived and all is not well...

Two hours in and the phone crashed for the first time and did a full reset.

It is quite clear to me from the moment I switched it on that the phone used a huge amount of ram. Over time, this equates to phone constantly reloading sense. By day 8, sense reloaded every time I left the internet, after leaving some applications and on occasions just swiping between home screens.

Once the phone lost its display and needed a battery pull. The phone I have is the worst I have owned ever bar none. It is being returned tomorrow hopefully for a full refund as I never want to experience this phone again.

It may be that I have a dud phone but sense 3 uses so many resources that I dont believe that another phone will be much better.

I did breifly try another launcher (lancher pro). I thought this would solve the problem by bypassing sense. Launcher pro ran much to my surprise - slowly!!! I had used launcher pro on a previos desire and on an orange san francisco where it ran smooth as butter.

Have no idea how this phone could be considered top of HTC line with so little ram ruining what would otherwise be a great phone.

So dissapointed as I gave my original desire to my sister and have to use a dumb phone until I find an alternative android buddy again.

Any help and advice about what I should look for next would be greatly appreciated. Features I want are:

Front facing camera
    os - 2.3.4 or higher (for google talk)
    good speaker quality (like to use speaker phone)
    1gb+ for apps

Budget not so important but I need a stable phone that I can video chat on and that doesnt run out of space for apps.

Please somone give me some advice

3. jammychap

jammychap Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 12, 2010
    Engineer
    Milton Keynes England.
    Oh dear, thats not good, I also have upgraded from the DHD to the XE and today is my first full day with the new phone, will let you know how it go's..............;)

4. DesireMe

DesireMe Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2010
    Poker
    Strathaven
    My partner has the XE and i've had a decent play with it. I've noticed a little lag loading widgets sometimes and this morning required a battery pull, the buttons lit up but nothing happened. Apart from that, she's well happy and i'm slightly envious.

5. Loud

Loud Member
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Careers Advisor
    Manchester Uk
    I came from the Desire to XE and I've had no issues at all. No lag loading widgets or internet and I've physically compared to my Desire, as my g/f has it, and the XE appears faster and smoother.

I'm a happy (phone geek) bunny at the mo.

6. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Lancaster, Lancashire
    Same here. Just got my phone today and LOVE it!

7. alackman

alackman Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    london
    I too came from desire to the xe. Slapped go launcher straight on after giving sense 12 hours of chance, the only time the phone has rebooted was in that 1st 12 hours, more than two weeks later, still very happy with this phone.

8. Gannet

Gannet Newbie
    None

May 13, 2010
    UK
    I had a desire and moved to the XE, it was a pain that it imported Facebook contacts as 'real' contacts as well as the contacts I had linked to them - if you know what I mean, thought it then wants you to look these to facebook again.

Never had it fail or need a reboot. My only issue is Handcent SMS was great on the desire, different colour LED flash for different people and it actually flashed. On the XE you can't seem to get it to set a colour and even when set to flash, it doesn't, so if you are not in earshot when it beeps it gives no indication of having had a text in.

Other than the above, I am really pleased with it and sounds are a lot better then the Desire, turn the Beats Audio off and it is wrse than the Desire but I would still like a bit of a graphic equaliser on it like I had on a Nokia N95.

9. murzz

murzz Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Edinburgh
    I know this is 3 month old post "advice" pack it up and send for a replacement. Had my XE for 3 days now and i find it a stunning handset with no problems whatsoever.