1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Last ditch effort to fix gps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mttfrog13, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    So I've put my captivate up for sale. $200 along with an 8gb microsd card. The reason is because I was recently hired and I'm moving to a new area and need a functioning gps. I was using my phone's gps to navigate to view a few apartments and I missed 2 appointments because I missed a few turns because my gps signal kept dropping. In bad traffic, a wrong turn can cost you 20 minutes. This is unacceptable. I am looking to either sell it for about $200, or trade up to an Atrix 4g along with paying an additional $100.

Anyway, it's been over a year since this phone has been released. Are there any guaranteed fixes besides trading for another captivate which I can't do. My phone is rooted and flashed with the Apex rom. I'm willing to try anything. I've tried a few fixes but haven't gotten any success.

Advertisement

2. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    That is the nature of the beast. The Captivate was designed with a flawed GPS, Samsung and AT&T both know that and refuse to do anything about it. I have tried everything, including a warranty replacement phone, and I have had no success. The best thing to do is dump it and learn from the experience like I have.
    I am really tempted to jump on the Attain when it is released, but I still have such a bitter feeling toward Samsung that I am aprehensive. I will wait until others have bought and used theirs for a while to see if it has problems like the Captivate had.

3. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    I went ahead and got a motorola atrix 4g off of craigslist for $250. I'm very satisfied. The gps finds and locks on to 10 or 12 satellites indoors and stays consistently locked. Even after flashing roms on my captivate, the gps wasn't consistent, and neither was the speed.

The atrix is also much more snappier. It's faster than a lag fixed captivate. The only things I will be missing are the super amoled screen, and the AMAZING captivate/galaxy s development community. But I feel like the motorola atrix is a better phone out of the box. It does the things that the captivate didn't which forced me to root and flash roms on my captivate. The Atrix has gingerbread, working gps, no lag, and free tethering without root. The higher res screen, ffc, camera flash, and dual core processor are just extra.

My upgrade is in March, but I think this atrix can hold me over a bit longer so that I can wait to see if a "official" google nexus is coming out, or some other device, rather than feeling the need to rush and get rid of my captivate in order to get a working gps.

4. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    i've lost track of how many warranty replacement captivates I have had. After the 9th one back in December when they refused to refund my money and let me get a different phone, I decided I am going to warranty replace that broken ass piece of crap every 5 days until I get one that works. Haven't found one yet. Probably been through at least 40 of them by now.

And since Samsung and AT&T know full well that the GPS is inherently flawed, and they keep rolling the same refurbs around in a circle and refuse to do anything about it, I'm going to class action their asses to high heaven!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    And just in case you think they actually refurb anything, they don't. I got the same IMEI back 6 phones later and it had the same problem. And I just checked my records. I'm up to 41. Wow I didn't think it was that many.