• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Last question before I decide to upgrade to 2.1 or not

Ok, so I've been sitting here all day deciding whether or not I want to upgrade to 2.1. It's not that I don't want 2.1 and all of its great features, it's that I was waiting for the official version to come out. I believe I'm safe in assuming that the version of 2.1 that has been leaked out will not be exactly the same as the 2.1 that will be pushed out OTA by Verizon. The biggest thing holding me back from getting the leaked version is that it seems like it'll be such a pain in the ass to wipe my phone clean then put all my apps and contacts back on. Then, assuming that a different, less buggy version of 2.1 will come out officially, obviously I'll have to get that version and who's to say I won't have to go through all that trouble to clear my phone off then load all my apps back on again? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Ok, so I've been sitting here all day deciding whether or not I want to upgrade to 2.1. It's not that I don't want 2.1 and all of its great features, it's that I was waiting for the official version to come out. I believe I'm safe in assuming that the version of 2.1 that has been leaked out will not be exactly the same as the 2.1 that will be pushed out OTA by Verizon. The biggest thing holding me back from getting the leaked version is that it seems like it'll be such a pain in the ass to wipe my phone clean then put all my apps and contacts back on. Then, assuming that a different, less buggy version of 2.1 will come out officially, obviously I'll have to get that version and who's to say I won't have to go through all that trouble to clear my phone off then load all my apps back on again? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

My advice is to just go with your zone on other decisions like this one, if you've had any.

To me that means going with what turned out in the long run to be the policy that made me the most comfortable over time, not just for this issue.

Upvote 0
It really depends on if you want to cut the edge or be comfortable. Mission critical with no backup? Comfort IMO. Backup (meaning another phone), a few hours to kill, have some fun with some new stuff? Go for it. I waited until a lot of others did it and haven't looked back. Your call, your life. Either way I don't think you will be unhappy.

Upvote 0
I don't regret it, but if I could go back to 2.1, I would. It really doesn't look a whole lot different, but it does seem a tad bit smoother. I guess I'm indifferent, then. The only thing that makes me want to go back is to be safe in case something bad happens, although nothing has so far.
The speaker going out occasionally, requiring a restart, is a bit annoying, but it isn't that bad.

My reasoning for going to 2.1, initially, was to see if any thing changed (despite there being pictures showing that not a whole lot had) and just to have the latest update. Kinda OCD about that.

Upvote 0
Well I'm backing everything up as best I can and going in. See you on the other side.

yeah with me i just back everything up and it was really easy. once i got through the setup screen i was up and running with all my stuff again in like 5 minutes. just make sure you dont back up your setting from 1.5 because if you restore them then it will mess with 2.1 and you will probably need to re-flash it.:eek:

Upvote 0
According to the email I received from HTC, they are not releasing the OTA until they figure out a way for it to not wipe the phone clean, and that's why it's not out yet...but of course, still no timeframe ;)

they should just do it over the computer. that way they can just make a program that can save all of our data (and i mean all of it and not just the stuff that htc sync does now) and automatically restores it once 2.1 is on it. there problem solved, now lets tackle something heavy like world hunger. :D

Upvote 0
According to the email I received from HTC, they are not releasing the OTA until they figure out a way for it to not wipe the phone clean, and that's why it's not out yet...but of course, still no timeframe ;)

We've seen a lot of posts relating to correspondences from HTC, Verizon and Google. Emails, phone calls and face-to-face talks.

Emails can be shown (with headers for verification) as a way to have readers of your post understand from their own standpoint what the HTC or whomever respondent meant.

Could you please post the email from HTC you're referring to?

Upvote 0
This is what I sent:

Is the Droid Eris 2.1 leak online that thousands have downloaded safe to install on my phone if I can put it on properly? If not, are we looking at more than a few weeks until this gets pushed OTA or even online?
This is the reply I got, very quickly, I might add....

HTC said:
We are pleased to know that you are interested in our newest update. I wish we could say more, but at this time I can only say that we are still working on that update. When the Android 2.1 was released to our test devices, people noticed that the update wiped all data from the device before installing the new operating system. Due to this issue, we are still working on the update. Also, we cannot guarantee how the Android 2.1 will operate on your device. I can't give a definitive time frame for when this update will be released.

Edit: This is also what prompted me to go ahead and download 2.1, I asked about it and HTC didn't tell me to avoid it and wait for them, they just noted what would likely happen if I did it....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones