• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root last step before i root - backing up "people" the way that I want!

ssddyakno

May 3, 2010
Baton Rouge
OK, nobody seems to know the answer for this. I'm about to starting trying this whole rooting process.

What I want to do is back up my people app, but ONLY what I have stored in the phone. There has to be a way to do this. Every thread I read mentions that google does that automatically, but I do not want to import my gmail contacts because there are tons of people in there who I do not want in my phone.

So the physical app, and what's stored IN the phone is what I'm looking for.

Who can help me out here?

Much thanks!

you can use titanium after you root and before you flash different roms.. if you do the root, it shouldn't screw anything up. it's when you flash roms/kernels that you start having to worry about data loss. but yeah, after you root, do a full app and data backup on titanium backup and a nandroid backup and you'll be fine.

Reactions: ssddyakno
Upvote 0
As long as you don't sync your account with your google account (inside settings>accounts and sync) after you do a titanium backup and restore ok the new rom, you'll have exactly whim you wish to have.

In other words:

Root, install titanium, backup contacts, nandroid backup, flash rom, start restore, uncheck contacts in google sync, titanium restore, enjoy.

From my Incredible Drooooiiiiiid.

Upvote 0
OK, nobody seems to know the answer for this. I'm about to starting trying this whole rooting process.

What I want to do is back up my people app, but ONLY what I have stored in the phone. There has to be a way to do this. Every thread I read mentions that google does that automatically, but I do not want to import my gmail contacts because there are tons of people in there who I do not want in my phone.

So the physical app, and what's stored IN the phone is what I'm looking for.

Who can help me out here?

Much thanks!

Exactly what you described is very easy. Hit menu, then hit import/export, and export to SD card. Then, hit "Phone" rather than Google. This will export only your phone contacts to your SD card, and you can simply import them later.

Upvote 0
As long as you don't sync your account with your google account (inside settings>accounts and sync) after you do a titanium backup and restore ok the new rom, you'll have exactly whim you wish to have.

In other words:

Root, install titanium, backup contacts, nandroid backup, flash rom, start restore, uncheck contacts in google sync, titanium restore, enjoy.

From my Incredible Drooooiiiiiid.
Perfect. Now if i could only get root!

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones