• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Last step question

pink

Aug 24, 2010
I am trying to root my HTC Eris, I am doing the Rooting for Dummies....I must really be a dummy. I wipe, and then zip from the SD card and my ROMs are not there... I have downloaded two different ROMs and neither show up... I have followed the directions to a T... and something is wrong at the last step :( Please help a dummy :thinking:

I am trying to root my HTC Eris, I am doing the Rooting for Dummies....I must really be a dummy. I wipe, and then zip from the SD card and my ROMs are not there... I have downloaded two different ROMs and neither show up... I have followed the directions to a T... and something is wrong at the last step :( Please help a dummy :thinking:

You're all set and ready to flash your first ROM, pink.

As two others have advised, be sure you've not left the zip fil in a "downloads" or other folder (to put it another way: the folder itself will be residing on the root section of your card, the zip file just needs to be taken out of that folder and put there next to it, not in it ;)).

Upvote 0
I downloaded them from my phone

Connect your USB cable to the device and into the USB port of your computer, then have a look at the topmost folder to see if the ROM zip is there.

If not, click the folder on the left where it's most likely to be and, once you find the zip by looking into those folders, drag the zip to the main, root folder.. that's where it's flashed from.

Upvote 0
You're all set and ready to flash your first ROM, pink.

As two others have advised, be sure you've not left the zip fil in a "downloads" or other folder (to put it another way: the folder itself will be residing on the root section of your card, the zip file just needs to be taken out of that folder and put there next to it, not in it ;)).

Ok, moved them out of the Download file.. .Next question, do I need to restart the whole rooting process, or can I just restart, wipe, and load?

Upvote 0
Ok, moved them out of the Download file.. .Next question, do I need to restart the whole rooting process, or can I just restart, wipe, and load?

You're ready to go as long as that zip is now in your root folder. :)

Shut down your device, go into recovery (volume up and power key held down until the screen comes back on) and, after wiping, select "flash from zip.."

Upvote 0
I just wanted to add: take your time.. especially when the device is booting for the very first time after the flash is finished.. it will take quite a while and it'll seem like it's locked up on one screen forever.. just wait. ;)

Then, take the configuration slowly with a long pause between each step. It's a brand new operating system.. baby it for a while. :)

Upvote 0
I just wanted to add: take your time.. especially when the device is booting for the very first time after the flash is finished.. it will take quite a while and it'll seem like it's locked up on one screen forever.. just wait. ;)

Then, take the configuration slowly with a long pause between each step. It's a brand new operating system.. baby it for a while. :)

I have a Rooted phone folks! THANKS for everyones help!!!!
:D

Stayed tuned I may have other questions ;)

Upvote 0
Like LED said, the market should be there, unless you downloaded a ROM that has a seperate gapps zip(ie. CELB).
Check the rom thread you downloaded from to see if they have another gapps file for your google apps.
Then go and put that zip file into the "root" folder, and go back into recovery and just flash that file (do not wipe). Reboot and you should have it back.

Titanium B/U is awesome because it saves your user data along with program(ie logins, handcent configs, etc.), plus when you go into market the first time after reboot, if you go to your downloads, you can re download all the stuff you had (it will show a list of free, not installed programs). If you go the market route, you wont have your user data.

Upvote 0
If you had a lot of apps, and you really really don't want to re-download and re-configure them, then there is one thing you can do.

If you followed the dummies tutorial, then you should have made a nand backup after rooting and before flashing Kaos. You can restore that backup, then download TitaniumBackup and do a backup of your apps+data. Then you can reflash Kaos and redownload Titanium and restore your apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones