• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root late to the game

m_c_gusto

Lurker
Jun 5, 2014
Good evening guys...so I got this great new device today. Its supposed to be a flagship device called the Evo 4g! Its gonna be huge I think.

So I recently signed up for Freedompop and got this phone. My thought was I have a work phone. I can just use this as a "home" phone.

The phone came unlocked with S-ON (I did not have to do anything as far as I can tell when I powered it up) and it has software version 5.07.651.1 and hboot 2.18.0001

My goal is to flash a rom that has runs something newer than the 2.3.5 that the phone shipped with. One of the blog sites mentioned that you can put KK on the FreedomPop Evo so that sparked this little mission. I have looked at a few root guides but seem to run into dead ends with either dead links to the necessary files, or to issues when flashing files in recovery.

The latter seems to be happening more often now.

I have the following on the root of my sdcard:

zzzvr_superwipe
cm-11-20131217-unofficial.zip
cm-7.2.0-supersonic.zip
MikeG-v3.11-signed.zip

As far as recovery, i have just flashed the following:
PC36IMG_AmonRA-v2.3-hausmod_revA.zip

So I think I am stuck. With this setup (and even with the clockworkmod recovery 5.0.2.2 that I tried) When i try to flash one of the ZIP files listed above I get an (bad) install aborted message and cannot proceed.

Is there a preferred method to do this? Perhaps I am missing something? Thanks for any assistance if anyone is still out there.

Best,

Hiya and welcome to Android forums!

I've moved this into the Evo 4g root forum.

I'm not sure if it would be wise to flash a rom as all the roms you see now are sprint based.

However wait on someone more experienced with the Evo 4g and cross carriers to chime in.

You may need a more up to date recovery to start flashing files. Remember to make a backup before attempting to flash anything as well.

Cheers

Upvote 0
I will check out that thread and thanks guys! to answer your questions, the cm-11 file i found was from a link in regards to putting cm on a freedom pop phone. the cm-7.2 i found on the cyanogen mod sight as a the last stable for the evo 4g.

I do think there is something to that the fact that i am on freedompop and there being issues with messaging.

I will read that thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones