• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Late to the Party

I recently acquired a HTC Eris from my friend who upgraded to an iPhone. I am an Android newbie but pretty tech savvy.

What version of Android should I install or should I just stick with 2.1? Should I install a custom rom? I want to be able to play around, but value stability.

When I used the reset/wipe procedure, i.e Volume Down, Send, Power. Did it reinstall the image of the OS or did it just wipe personal data?

• I am wondering because I have the left scroll ball problem and some other glitches and crashes.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums, latetotheparty.

Users of that great old little device seem to get the most out of it by rooting and experiencing the wonderful, vast world of custom ROMs available for the Eris.

Have a look here:

Eris - All Things Root - Android Forums .. if you haven't already discovered it. ;)

Many ROMs not only customize your phone, they also wash away various bugs and issues not hardware related.

Have fun, post back how things are going. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones