• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Latest Galaxy S update

So how do we know... what the latest one is that will even run on our phones? I mean since its android, you'd think that it would run on anything that met the minimum hardware requirements, right?

I haven't the foggiest either.

I assume Galaxy S and below won't get Android 3.0 updates and above, whereas the Galaxy S II and the like will [if not installed with such - I guess].

Upvote 0
So unless you buy a new phone every few month then essentially you're stuck with whatever firmware update the phone came installed with - unless I want to bin my warranty and [potentially] mess up my phone beyond repair with all this Flashing malarkey?

Sounds like a stupid business model to me... :thinking::(

Actually, I've owned 3 Android Phones

LG EVE - started with 1.5, only went to 1.6
HTC Magic - started with 1.5, then an updated 1.5, went to 1.6 and then 2.1
Samsung Captivate - started with 2.1, then went to 2.2 and then 2.3

to say that your stuck is not 100% true in most cases, however eventually all phones will stop getting updates. Just like an old computer that has XP can't always be updated to Windows 7. It's the same idea, just happens faster.

BTW, yes Honeycomb is 3.0, but it's not a smartphone build, it's only for Tablets. You may luck out and be able to get ICS, but I wouldn't count on it.

Upvote 0
to say that your stuck is not 100% true in most cases, however eventually all phones will stop getting updates. Just like an old computer that has XP can't always be updated to Windows 7. It's the same idea, just happens faster.

BTW, yes Honeycomb is 3.0, but it's not a smartphone build, it's only for Tablets. You may luck out and be able to get ICS, but I wouldn't count on it.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know that all technology heavily inclines you to upgrade [XP users in a very short while will be left to their own devices, TV users that haven't done the digital switchover thing etc.] after a few years - but I'm just very new to this pace with smartphones.

The Samsung Galaxy S only came out last year didn't it[?]and it's gone through X revisions already.

I just feel the least I should get is the rest of the Gingerbread [2.4-7] updates officially, even if they don't seem to add much [not to mention my fear of said updates simply wiping my phone clean - as half-backed-up as it is atm].

Upvote 0
As far as I'm aware Google are determined to get Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) made available for as many phones as possible. The whole point of ICS is a one size fits all policy, rather than having different versions of Android across a wide range of phones. It will merge the best bits from Gingerbread with Honeycomb.

The first Android phone with ICS is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, so it's entirely up to Samsung to provide a version for the SGS which shouldn't be too difficult for them.

All the best.

Ray

Upvote 0
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know that all technology heavily inclines you to upgrade [XP users in a very short while will be left to their own devices, TV users that haven't done the digital switchover thing etc.] after a few years - but I'm just very new to this pace with smartphones.

The Samsung Galaxy S only came out last year didn't it[?]and it's gone through X revisions already.

I just feel the least I should get is the rest of the Gingerbread [2.4-7] updates officially, even if they don't seem to add much [not to mention my fear of said updates simply wiping my phone clean - as half-backed-up as it is atm].

I agree, I'd love to see them continue to support it, but chances are they won't.

Upvote 0
Hmm, interesting. Yeah samsung has always been a little flaky (imo) on their updates and software support. Maybe they're getting better finally. But I have a friend with some random HTC phone, and that thing has SELF UPDATED somehow, from 2.1 all the way to 2.3 lol. Over the span of time that he's had it. Why can't samsung get that going on?

Upvote 0
OS 2.3 is all you'll need on the galaxy s mobiles, for the time being. Accomplishes everything, and more. By the time 2.3 is obsolete our current phones will be too.

For that matter, there's nothing wrong with staying with 2.2. The only difference I can see between the two OS's on galaxy s mobiles is with gaming, 2.3 runs the apps more smoothly.

Upvote 0
ICS is available from XDA developers as BETA 2. Obviosely not bug free but still very good : -

[DEV] ICS port for I9000/I9000B - BETA (ICS sources) - work in progress - xda-developers

Enjoy your SGS.

i have flashed ICS to my SGS international version, very nice but i have to go back to gingerbread 2.3.5 for two main reasons i.e., all my music are in my 32 Gb external sd card but in ICS, my music files are inaccessible and there is no FM radio in ICS. complete instructions and download links are here

Upvote 0
I just updated my Galaxy S 2 days ago, and the firmware version says "2.3.5". Has anyone noticed any issues and/or changes with theirs? Mine has several that are pissing me off:

-My screen will stay on for an undetermined amount of time regardless how many times I click on my "Power" button when I try and put it in standby/lock. Or, it will periodically takes screenshots when I'm trying to place it in standby.

-My keyboard layout for Samsung and Android has changed dramatically. It looks nothing like it used to.

-Prior to the update, I had approximately 20 apps I manually installed, none of which were saved to my SD card. Now, I can only install around maybe 12 or 13 before I get a message telling me there isn't enough available space on the phone itself to support any more apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones