1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Latest Gingerbread Update Froze My Evo 4g

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by broad_st_bully, Sep 4, 2011.

1. broad_st_bully

None

Aug 14, 2011
    self-employed
    South Philly, PA.
    Just a quick heads-up for anyone with a rooted phone...I just flashed my phone back to the stock Evo 4G (like when you first root the phone) and I got the pop-up window for the latest update for Gingerbread-4.53.651.1...
    I checked a few forums & found other people ran the update (allegedly, on rooted phones) with no problems....
    when I ran the update it froze my phone for almost an hour...just the triangle with the exclamation point in the center &the little green android....
    to get it back I removed the battery, flashed recovery and it's fine now....
    ...just a heads-up for anyone who's thinking about updating...:mad:

Advertisement

dustwun77 likes this.
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    it might work now, but i want to make sure though that everyone know that you should never accept an OTA when you are rooted. and this applies not just for the evo. just wait until the devs come up with their own version of the ota. or when a stock rooted ota comes out.

accepting an OTA could unroot you and you may not have a way to reroot your phone. most OTA's will change the hboot and close any known exploits. it also could also brick your phone and put your phone in a weird state.

DaRayvn and Granite1 like this.
  3. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1
    The stock software uses the stock recovery to flash an OTA update. Thats the stock recovery's only function, to accept and flash ota updates. So when you root your phone and load a custom recovery you remove the ability for the phone to properly download and flash an ota. JUST DON'T ATTEMPT IT!

Like Ocn said, it could update your hboot, and lock nand all over agian, or it could update your hboot and leave s-off, but remove your custom recovery, all sorts of strange and unusual things "could" happen.
    Why risk it?
    The devs will have a rooted version you can flash usually before the OTA is officially released. Besides, the stock software blows, go get you sum customflashaholicromplayalistic kickin on your supersonic!

:D

ocnbrze and DaRayvn like this.
  4. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Grand Rapids
    "customflashaholicromplayalistic"

well put lol.....

Tags: