• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Latest Gingerbread Update Froze My Evo 4g

Just a quick heads-up for anyone with a rooted phone...I just flashed my phone back to the stock Evo 4G (like when you first root the phone) and I got the pop-up window for the latest update for Gingerbread-4.53.651.1...
I checked a few forums & found other people ran the update (allegedly, on rooted phones) with no problems....
when I ran the update it froze my phone for almost an hour...just the triangle with the exclamation point in the center &the little green android....
to get it back I removed the battery, flashed recovery and it's fine now....
...just a heads-up for anyone who's thinking about updating...:mad:

Reactions: dustwun77
Just a quick heads-up for anyone with a rooted phone...I just flashed my phone back to the stock Evo 4G (like when you first root the phone) and I got the pop-up window for the latest update for Gingerbread-4.53.651.1...
I checked a few forums & found other people ran the update (allegedly, on rooted phones) with no problems....
when I ran the update it froze my phone for almost an hour...just the triangle with the exclamation point in the center &the little green android....
to get it back I removed the battery, flashed recovery and it's fine now....
...just a heads-up for anyone who's thinking about updating...:mad:
it might work now, but i want to make sure though that everyone know that you should never accept an OTA when you are rooted. and this applies not just for the evo. just wait until the devs come up with their own version of the ota. or when a stock rooted ota comes out.

accepting an OTA could unroot you and you may not have a way to reroot your phone. most OTA's will change the hboot and close any known exploits. it also could also brick your phone and put your phone in a weird state.

Upvote 0
it might work now, but i want to make sure though that everyone know that you should never accept an OTA when you are rooted. and this applies not just for the evo. just wait until the devs come up with their own version of the ota. or when a stock rooted ota comes out.

accepting an OTA could unroot you and you may not have a way to reroot your phone. most OTA's will change the hboot and close any known exploits. it also could also brick your phone and put your phone in a weird state.

+1
The stock software uses the stock recovery to flash an OTA update. Thats the stock recovery's only function, to accept and flash ota updates. So when you root your phone and load a custom recovery you remove the ability for the phone to properly download and flash an ota. JUST DON'T ATTEMPT IT!

Like Ocn said, it could update your hboot, and lock nand all over agian, or it could update your hboot and leave s-off, but remove your custom recovery, all sorts of strange and unusual things "could" happen.
Why risk it?
The devs will have a rooted version you can flash usually before the OTA is officially released. Besides, the stock software blows, go get you sum customflashaholicromplayalistic kickin on your supersonic!

:D

Reactions: ocnbrze and DaRayvn
Upvote 0
+1
The stock software uses the stock recovery to flash an OTA update. Thats the stock recovery's only function, to accept and flash ota updates. So when you root your phone and load a custom recovery you remove the ability for the phone to properly download and flash an ota. JUST DON'T ATTEMPT IT!

Like Ocn said, it could update your hboot, and lock nand all over agian, or it could update your hboot and leave s-off, but remove your custom recovery, all sorts of strange and unusual things "could" happen.
Why risk it?
The devs will have a rooted version you can flash usually before the OTA is officially released. Besides, the stock software blows, go get you sum customflashaholicromplayalistic kickin on your supersonic!

:D

"customflashaholicromplayalistic"

well put lol.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones