1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Latest Google Update makes Assistant not work

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by delaneybob, Jan 23, 2021.

1. delaneybob

delaneybob Lurker

Hi There,

Samsung S9 Android version 10 Kernel 4.9.16 Knox 3.4.1 (Verizon) all are latest updates

Google Assistant stopped working about 2 weeks ago and finally had to uninstall Google to factory default and it works again. Once I re-update Googler- Assistant does not work.

Does not work= does not even launch

Anyone else experience this and fix it?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Report it to Google.

The "Google" app is where Assistant lives, so the fact that restoring that app to the factory-installed version fixes your problem suggests that the current Google app has a bug and does not work properly with either the S9, your version of the S9 (all Samsung phones come in many versions), or maybe your individual S9 (i.e. is incompatible with some particular feature of your phone's apps/data/settings). And the fact that it does work again when you revert the version, then stops when you re-update, indicates that it's a problem with the app version rather than you having inadvertently changed some important setting. So that's my guess, but as we don't know how widespread this is we don't know whether Google are aware, hence my suggestion that you report it to them.

Meanwhile turn off automatic updates in the Play Store so that it doesn't just reinstall the broken version on your phone and use the old one for a bit.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. delaneybob

delaneybob Lurker

Thanks- based on the reviews at the store ( not sure how to post one) but alot of folks with same issue. Goggle appears to be aware of the issue

Hadron, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.

Galaxy S9 Forum

The Galaxy S9 release date was March 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.8" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 9810 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2018
Release Date
Reviews