• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Latest Leak Users: How Close to Finished Is It?

Latest Leak Users: How Close to Finished is it?

• Total voters
I don't seem to be having any problems with the newest leak. The gmail bug is nonexistent, and the dial has had no issues so far. Those were really my only issues with the original leak.

How about the stock browser, and sound issues reported by users of the first leak?

There were many other things brought up, but those two stand out to me (I'm not a leak user, 1.5 awaits the OTA).

From what I've been reading in the long original thread about this second leak, it seems to have some improvements; nobody has said it is the same as the first one.

I'm just wondering how much is improved and most importantly, how close does it appear to be finished.

Upvote 0
How about the stock browser, and sound issues reported by users of the first leak?

There were many other things brought up, but those two stand out to me (I'm not a leak user, 1.5 awaits the OTA).

From what I've been reading in the long original thread about this second leak, it seems to have some improvements; nobody has said it is the same as the first one.

I'm just wondering how much is improved and most importantly, how close does it appear to be finished.
When using the side button to turn up the ringtone sound, the sound still breaks out on the first time, but is normal on the second time. Did it on first leaked 2.1, now on the newest one, so I'm guessing it's still not fixed.
My browser hasn't crashed like it sometimes has yet, but I've only been using this leak for a few hours so IDK if it's fixed.

Upvote 0
Can't vote.

While there are some problems, many of them will not be fixed by HTC or Verizon and will have to wait for Google to correct them. Those problems won't or shouldn't affect the OTA. Also you have to look at the fact that this build, while new to us, probably isn't the latest test version out there. There may be something with zero to minimal bugs in it being tested right now. While I am still hopeful, I don't see the OTA coming in the next 7 days. Maybe in the beginning of April.....maybe.

Upvote 0
Can't vote.

While there are some problems, many of them will not be fixed by HTC or Verizon and will have to wait for Google to correct them. Those problems won't or shouldn't affect the OTA. Also you have to look at the fact that this build, while new to us, probably isn't the latest test version out there. There may be something with zero to minimal bugs in it being tested right now. While I am still hopeful, I don't see the OTA coming in the next 7 days. Maybe in the beginning of April.....maybe.

I respect and look forward to your posts, OTD. But it would have been nice if you could have set aside those quite logical misgivings about voting. ;)

It's just about your assessment of what you have in your Eris now as the software, not about what other versions of the 2.1 in development might be in tester's phones. Point well-made though.

Upvote 0
Can't vote.

Couldnt agree more, very nice build, but pretty sure they are still testing newer builds...

Upvote 0
I'm really just glad that my dialer issues are now fixed, it was horrible having to wait so long for a stinking call on the old leak.

Amen.

I don't *think* this happened on 1.5, but it happened on the last leak to, when I call someone it still vibrates once when it places the call. I'm use to it now, but I still don't think it occurred on 1.5

Upvote 0
I voted that its almost there because I truly think it is. But I do not think it will hit before the end of this month.

I wish it were possible to put together some sort of data on the bugs ironed out since the first leak vs time it took to iron them out = time to arrival of OTA.

Something like that. :D

Upvote 0
I wish it were possible to put together some sort of data on the bugs ironed out since the first leak vs time it took to iron them out = time to arrival of OTA.

Something like that. :D

Based on the dates of the files in the two ZIP's, it looks like it took them two and a half weeks (February 11 to March 1) to basically fix the Google sign-in bug and little else. Not too promising.

Leak 1
thenestor-albums-droid-eris-android-2-1-leak-zip-contents-picture887-2-26-605-2.jpg

Leak 2
thenestor-albums-droid-eris-android-2-1-leak-zip-contents-picture888-2-26-605-4.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, the consensus at this point is that "almost finished, it'll surely be done by 31 March" is far and away the most popular choice amongst those who've installed this newer leak.

People must be impressed with the progress from the first leak, although specifics on that are hard to come by, at least in a clear list form across the board; there have been anecdotal reports, but somebody would have to go through the threads and find all the bugs reported in the first leak and then do that for this one and post the data with details "bug for bug."

At the least it is safe to dispel the rumor that Eris is not to receive an update at all. What remains to be seen is if the "before the end of Q1" reported "promise" comes to fruition; six days left in Q1. ;)

Upvote 0
Have not encountered the sound bug since the update, thankfully. I was restarting the phone every hour to get sound back on the first leak. Also, the browser has not crashed at all. There are a few other bugs that need to be ironed out, but it's almost there. As OTD stated, a good portion of the bugs are on Google and not HTC/Verizon.

Upvote 0
Have not encountered the sound bug since the update, thankfully. I was restarting the phone every hour to get sound back on the first leak. Also, the browser has not crashed at all. There are a few other bugs that need to be ironed out, but it's almost there. As OTD stated, a good portion of the bugs are on Google and not HTC/Verizon.

What do you think is the reason for uneven reports about some of these bugs? Some have started threads wanting help for the same bugs that others say are not there in the same leaked 2.1.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to vote because my choice is not there. That would be:
*Could* have been the OTA with minor updates sent out as needed. Surely *not* done by March 31.

As for me, I liked the first leak better. But I know I'm in the minority here. I actually liked the Google sign in and I think my battery was better on leak #1. I never had the dialer issue others had and I don't care if the phone vibrates when I make a call. The darn thing vibrates all the time anyway so who cares? But all in all I'm happy I have 2.1 so I don't stress about the date any longer. At this point it's so close to being done that whenever it comes it comes. They can take 'til June AFAI care.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones