• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Latest OTA - does this mean I can't root anymore?

berardi1111

Nov 11, 2008
NYC
Ok so I just got my EVO, LOVE IT. I updated to the latest OTA. I'm pretty happy but have a couple questions about rooting. I've been reading a lot but I'm still overwhelmed with the wealth of info.

#1. I updated the OTA - does this mean I can't root yet until the new OTA is rooted?

#2. I would like to go to a new rom without all the junk. I don't use sense, or any of that other fancy stuff running in the background. Is there a rom you would recommend?

#3. In the past, I had a rooted device where I could modify the androidinstall.tar and remove .apk's I didn't want. Is this possible with the current situation on EVO?

#4. With all these roms, do you generally clean wipe everything each time? or do settings / apps / configs remain?

Thanks!!!

The OTA Update has been known to cause:

nausea, vomiting, water weight gain, lower back pain, receding hairline, eczema, seborrhea, psoriasis, itchy chafing clothing, liver spots, blood clots, ringworm, excessive body odor, uneven tire wear, pyorrhea, gonorrhea, diarrhea, halitosis, scoliosis, loss of bladder control, hammertoe, the shanks, low sperm count, warped floors, cluttered drawers, hunchback, heart attack, low resale value on your home, feline leukemia, athlete's foot, head lice, club foot, MS, MD, VD, fleas, anxiety, sleeplessness, drowsiness, poor gas mileage, tooth decay, split ends, parvo, warts, unibrow, lazy eye, fruit flies, chest pains, clogged drains, hemorrhoids, dry heaving, and sexual dysfunction.

AND Loss of Root.

Upvote 0
i'm liking the latest update when it comes to my battery. missing the wifi though. i see something called fresh i'm going to try and install. can anyone point me to a step by step instruction manual for installing this fresh. and i mean ALL the steps necessary. right down to nand unlock and backing up and all that jazz. the on ly instructions i can find so far are for installing that rooted software which blocks 4g. the method i've already done. and would now like to check out this fresh thing.

Upvote 0
i'm liking the latest update when it comes to my battery. missing the wifi though. i see something called fresh i'm going to try and install. can anyone point me to a step by step instruction manual for installing this fresh. and i mean ALL the steps necessary. right down to nand unlock and backing up and all that jazz. the on ly instructions i can find so far are for installing that rooted software which blocks 4g. the method i've already done. and would now like to check out this fresh thing.
Sorry, latest update = no root, no Fresh, no nand unlock or back up. For the time being, the only jazz available is via stored or streaming music apps. You can use either of these guides (pretty much same guide at different sites) whenever the OTA gets rooted:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-evo-4g/99793-tutorial-idiot-proof-root-guide.html
[TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! NAND Unlock and ADB Update!! - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If the guys over at xda-dev or unrevoked don't have this OTA rooted by the time the official Froyo is finally released, do you think it would be a bad idea to update (whenever that may be)?

I'm wondering if there could be a new vulnerability in the Froyo release or that they may patch some vulnerability that wasn't apparent in the OTA until after the release. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones