• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Latest software update for DNA (late September/early October rollout)

CrackedLCD

Jan 17, 2013
LA (Lower Alabama)
goo.gl
Looks like we've gotten another software update. This is upgrading to 4.09.605.5 and seems to be security minded. Looks like it closes a root loophole, does something with Softpay (formerly ISIS) and some sort of wifi indicator tweak.

Has anyone gotten it yet? It was about 180 MB and came in this evening for me. So far the only thing I've noticed different is it reset all my developer options (I had all the animations turned off to make it seem faster) and the phone in general seems noticeably slower.

I'm worried that the non-specific update to Software is going to interfere with Google Wallet, but I guess I'll find out next time I may a tap & pay purchase.

Looks like we've gotten another software update. This is upgrading to 4.09.605.5 and seems to be security minded. Looks like it closes a root loophole, does something with Softpay (formerly ISIS) and some sort of wifi indicator tweak.

Has anyone gotten it yet? It was about 180 MB and came in this evening for me. So far the only thing I've noticed different is it reset all my developer options (I had all the animations turned off to make it seem faster) and the phone in general seems noticeably slower.

I'm worried that the non-specific update to Software is going to interfere with Google Wallet, but I guess I'll find out next time I may a tap & pay purchase.

I have been getting "requests" for two days. I have been delaying it until I can research what it entails. Last update I got was a pain in the *ahem* and I really hate that I have to accept them eventually on property that is MINE! MINE! Not Verizon's or HTC. I own it.

I have it settled back in and now they want to send another one. Just irritates the crap out of me. I don't want to have to go back and fidldle with ever little setting that they just "happen" to have to touch as part of their update.

These companies have to realize that there are a LOT of us that don't want to have to reconfigure our phones every time "they" need to update it. Change is not always good. And this is from a guy that is looking at a Note 4.

Rant[/end]

I already have an issue with WiFi just chewing battery even though it hooked into a good source.

Upvote 0
It could be coincidence and it'll take me a few days to know for sure, but it does seem like this latest update affects battery life negatively. I can't see or tell any different in wifi performance or the way the wifi indicators looks or acts, so I dunno what was supposed to change, there. I've been lucky to never have any serious wifi issues, at least not at home where I need it most.

Other than resetting all my developer options (turning animations back on and mock locations off) it seems the boot up screen is slightly different. The white HTC image has changed and it now says something about Android on the bottom before fading into the Beats logo.

Upvote 0
It could be coincidence and it'll take me a few days to know for sure, but it does seem like this latest update affects battery life negatively. I can't see or tell any different in wifi performance or the way the wifi indicators looks or acts, so I dunno what was supposed to change, there. I've been lucky to never have any serious wifi issues, at least not at home where I need it most.

Other than resetting all my developer options (turning animations back on and mock locations off) it seems the boot up screen is slightly different. The white HTC image has changed and it now says something about Android on the bottom before fading into the Beats logo.

Ill be watching your feedback. As I already indicated I was very unhappy with the last push. The update service becomes an orphaned process that itself chews battery and you have to go kill it until the wake up process.

Overall I have been very happy with the phone but these "necessary" pushes are just pure crap. There HAS to be a way around it. I am not rooted or anything. Just tired of the surprises a new update brings and having to work around the things they broke in the process.

Right now if I stream music I get about 8 hours out of the phone. If I just use it for texting, web surfing and talking I get about 30-36 hours out of it. And its almost two years old.

Upvote 0
I definitely am suspecting the battery life has taken another hit.

I was at 85% about 45 minutes ago and after loading one little app and using it for about 10 minutes, I'm down to 70%. I already have to keep my phone constantly charging when in the car because I use Waze for navigation/traffic and it's a total battery hog.

I'm amazed at your 30-36 hours with regular use. If I don't leave the house and don't use Waze, I can usually get 8 hours of life out of my phone, using it sparingly to surf the web and read news articles. Streaming or playing music is also about 8 hours, video I can get 6-7. And this is 100% on wifi.

To be fair, though, this is with nearly 200 apps in total installed and I allow about a dozen apps and services to sync full time

Upvote 0
My battery life has significantly decreased since the new software update. I'm not a heavy user and can easily make it through a full day on a full charge. Now, I can't. The problem seems to be that so many apps just keep running even when I force quit them. I use a Task Manager and will periodically go through and kill apps that I'm not using or don't need to use, but can't disable for various reasons. Then half an hour later I'll go back and check and they're all running again.

It's just after 2 pm here and I'm already down to 49% battery. I should be closer to 70%. This needs to be fixed NOW.

Upvote 0
It's just after 2 pm here and I'm already down to 49% battery. I should be closer to 70%. This needs to be fixed NOW.

Agreed. Its a half *ahemed* deployment...again. I wish congress would hurry up and pass the bills that allow us to "own" our phones again. I will continue to deny the upgrade.

Also guys, do a few hard forced reboots (holding the power button until the count down powers off the phone) and see if that helps. I have had to do that three or four days in a row to get things "back".

All the more reason NOT to buy a new phone.

Upvote 0
Seemingly immediately after this update online videos don't play offline videos from the gallery function properly. Not on WiFi not on 4G. In multiple apps (YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, NFL mobile). Most just say there was a problem with the video or an error occurred. YouTube states that the connection had been interrupted. Every thing else loads and this is both in the individual apps and in the internet and Google chrome app. I have tried uninstalling apps/updates and re-installing with no improvement. Power cycled with no improvement. Tried multiple WiFi networks with no improvement. Only thing that helped was a "hard Reboot".

Upvote 0
Seemingly immediately after this update online videos don't play offline videos from the gallery function properly. Not on WiFi not on 4G. In multiple apps (YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, NFL mobile). Most just say there was a problem with the video or an error occurred. YouTube states that the connection had been interrupted. Every thing else loads and this is both in the individual apps and in the internet and Google chrome app. I have tried uninstalling apps/updates and re-installing with no improvement. Power cycled with no improvement. Tried multiple WiFi networks with no improvement. Only thing that helped was a "hard Reboot".

Hard reboot being the hold the power button until the count down completes?

If this is how Verizon wishes to handle their customers, my contract is up and my wife is pushing to move to another provider anyway due to coverage issues. This behavior won't help their cause. Not that they really care anyway. I am not oblivious to that.

I am still declining the so called "upgrade". Its stupid as I am not rooted or anything either. This phone is two years old now what possible security risks does it pose?

Upvote 0
Yes a hard reboot as in holding down the power button through the countdown. I had forgot about trying it until I read your post right before I posted the first time.

What's the difference between that and a regular reboot? I honestly have never heard of it until just around the time this update was pushed out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones