1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support latest software update trashed settings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Heather1234, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Heather1234

Heather1234 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    this update:
    - caused camera flash on every notification-fixed thanks to you guys.
    - re-set the individualized notification sound on Every. Single. Alarm- tediously and painstakingly fixed.
    - removed my incoming text notification sound; will have to find it online again and see if it'll upload, but my guess is it's gone for good, and that's a shame because it was pretty cool. And YES, that makes me cranky. INSERT MANY BAD WORDS HERE.
    - completely blew away my (paid for) ToDo app - re-downloaded successfully, thank god.
    AND
    - it inserted ridiculous picture icons on the text messaging threads that pointlessly clutter up the screen for no reason. PLEASE TELL ME THERE'S SOME WAY TO REMOVE THEM!!!!!!!

To my great dismay, I'm on Verizon, with a Samsung Galaxy s3. Help.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Everyone who has reported bugs in the update has reported different ones.

One of those bad words is "backup". Back up ANYTHING you really like. Post the name of the sound if you remember it and maybe someone has it or knows where it is. If it's part of a longer piece, post a link to that, and which part you like. (Or learn to use Audio Record Wizard and Audacity and make a ringtone or notification tone out of any audio you can get to hear on your computer.)

Play remembers what you've bought. They got that one right.

Go SMS Pro. Handcent SMS. Etc.

Every carrier is in it for what's in your pocket, not the smile on your face. As long as you don't jump ship, they really don't care how dissatisfied you are. It's not the execs who feel your anger, it's the salesdroids in the stores and the customer service monkeys in Who-knows-where-land (or is that Who-knows-where-istan?).

That goes for the manufacturers too. If the next phone you buy is a Samsung (and they DO make good phones, regardless of anything else I can accuse them of - and there's loads of that), they're happy, no matter what you say about them behind their backs. Did you hear that Samsung? (No, they're not paying the least bit of attention.)

3. Heather1234

Heather1234 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Thanks for your reply, Rukbat.

'One of those bad words is "backup". Back up ANYTHING you really like.'

I back up weekly. Backed up the evening before I stopped deferring and allowed the update. When I got off the verizon chat after determining that they couldn't do anything to help me with the missing app, I went to keis to try to figure out the restore part, which I've never done, only to be told that I had an 'unsupported device', and to connect a different one. So having a backup (in this case) has done me no good.

'Go SMS Pro. Handcent SMS. Etc.'

So what you're saying, is that the BUG which forces me to see the stoopid, unwanted, cluttery face icons on my text message thread, is really Samsung's version of a 'feature' they assume I want, because they're not giving me any ability to disable it?

'Who-knows-where-istan'

Yes. I believe you've hit that particular nail on the head right there.

'If the next phone you buy is a Samsung... '

I think our contract with Verizon is up this August. Since they OBVIOUSLY can't afford to hire QA people to test Samsung's software updates BEFORE they assault the customers with a buggy product, we will most likely jump that particular ship. I know next to nothing about hardware, but I will definitely start researching now so I'll be more informed by then. Do you have a rec?

IMO, it's unconscionable that what should only be updates/fixes to functionality are coupled with MANDATORY, sometimes IRREVOCABLE changes to my customized fonts, colors, styles, and sounds that either force me to DL and re-learn replacement apps, or to put up with changes I did not ask for and DO NOT WANT, and which will irritate me daily.

I'll tell you this - I would pledge my eternal devotion to any manufacturer/carrier who gave me an update choice:
    "Updates are available for your device; Update now? Defer for x days? DISREGARD?"

I'd be perfectly happy with an idiot switch that follows the DISREGARD option with an 'Are you sure?', and a disclaimer about if I choose to disregard, don't come whining to them later. Really. There hasn't been an update that *hasn't* pissed me off. I doubt that I'm alone there.