• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

latest unbranded firmware

Just to be clear, ICS has been released for SGS2 outside of NorthAmerica. Other factors have a play as well. If your phone came from a carrier, it won't get update unless the firmware is approved. Then you have to use Samsung Kies to update

Sorry for being such a noob but how long does that usually take? Also just tried kies for the first time and cant even seem to find an update button, i got the phone on contract from tesco mobile if that helps at all? from what i can tell its not branded, is there any way i can check? Also is it possible to install ics manually like from new, unbranded? Thank you for your help, Luke

Upvote 0
Usually, depending on country (your country's version of FCC also has to approve it before it can be passed to carriers for modification and approval), it could take anywhere from 1month to six, or it may never be approved at all by your carrier. Unbranded Samsungs get the update without all this BS.

In Kies on your PC (Note, Kies, not Kies Air. Also, on your PC, not Kies for Android), click on Tools>search for updates.

Yes you can update using unofficial firmware with ICS, like CM9, but you need to root and flash manually. Note that if you go through this method, you need to read a lot. A mistake in the process can turn your phone into an expensive paperweight. While the chances of doing so are slim and this is a worst case scenario.

Upvote 0
Usually, depending on country (your country's version of FCC also has to approve it before it can be passed to carriers for modification and approval), it could take anywhere from 1month to six, or it may never be approved at all by your carrier. Unbranded Samsungs get the update without all this BS.

In Kies on your PC (Note, Kies, not Kies Air. Also, on your PC, not Kies for Android), click on Tools>search for updates.

Yes you can update using unofficial firmware with ICS, like CM9, but you need to root and flash manually. Note that if you go through this method, you need to read a lot. A mistake in the process can turn your phone into an expensive paperweight. While the chances of doing so are slim and this is a worst case scenario.

What would you reccomended man? Is it worth outting unbranded samsung firmware on?

Upvote 0
just tried kies for the first time and cant even seem to find an update button

An obvious button would be too logical. Iirc the "check for updates" option is in one of the menus.

i got the phone on contract from tesco mobile if that helps at all?

It will use either XEU or CPW firmwares, both of which were released on Monday.

If you have problems, ask over in the Galaxy S2 section - they're a pretty friendly bunch. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones