1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Latest Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bullitt5177, Dec 27, 2014.

1. bullitt5177

bullitt5177 Newbie
    None

May 24, 2010
    Ford Service Tech
    Tewksbury, MA
    Wasn't the latest update (I got mine on the seventeenth/version 21.44.8) supposed to give us data with voice? That's what everything said that came with it, but I still have no data access in a call. Did it work for anyone else?

Advertisement

#1 bullitt5177, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Yes. First, you need to access your account features (either online with verizonwireless.com or by calling vzw) and add the free HD voice calling feature on your line. Next you need to restart the phone (though you may want to wait a few hours) and go through the settings / More... / mobile networks / VOLTE to turn the feature on for your phone.

3. bullitt5177

bullitt5177 Newbie
    None

May 24, 2010
    Ford Service Tech
    Tewksbury, MA
    That did it. Thank you!! I'm surprised they require you to do that.

4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    With the latest update I simply went to Settings | Advanced Calling and turned it on.

... Thom

Skipdawg, LizMac and DanL like this.
  5. DanL

DanL Member
    None

Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks! That was easy and I would have never known about it. Looks like another tip for the "Droid Turbo reference and Tips" Thread.

Thom likes this.
  6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Done.

... Thom

7. CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    Driving Miss Daisy
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    It appears the reason they don't turn it on by default is that when you activate the VoLTE feature, it changes the way the phone works on the network. Since flipping the VoLTE switch, I've noticed that the hand offs between LTE and 3G/1x are no longer seamless. Verizon did note on their Advanced Calling 1.0 page that calls will no longer hand off to the legacy network, which I'm OK with, but this obviously affects being able to use the data connection in weak signal areas as well.

To wit… I have a local grocery store (Publix) next to an airport so there is no nearby Verizon tower. Especially on my old Droid DNA, it would quickly jump to 3G, then to 1x in the back of the store where the LTE couldn't reach. (It also would occasionally roam on C Spire's shit service, since their stubby tower is across the street, but it never actually worked on data.) This Moto Turbo holds on to LTE a lot better but I was still hitting 1x in the bowels of the supermarket. Before the VoLTE switch it was seamless, the only difference is the data got very slow. Now, the phone actually completely loses service for about 30 seconds while it switched back to the legacy network. And then there's a big delay going back to LTE when it regains that signal. Very annoying.

I first noticed this because "play tone when roaming" was checked in my settings and so my phone would say "loss of service!" every time I went in that Publix store. Then it would say "Verizon Wireless!" when either 1x, 3G or LTE would come back. It squawked a lot in the store as I went in and out of coverage. It drove me crazy until I figured which setting to change to shut that woman up. :)

So far the VoLTE feature has not impressed me beyond offering voice and data together. I only have one person (my father) who has an Advanced Calling phone with the feature turned on, out of a good dozen Verizon users in my contact list. There's a marked improvement in call clarity, but not as good as I thought it should be for being all IP. It has a very artificially weird tunnel like sound from the few test calls we've placed.

I'm thinking of disabling the feature. I probably only make 3 minutes of phone calls every two months, so I won't miss not having data and voice together.

8. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

I read a post a few days back about a guy who switched back after enabling it and then he couldn't re-enable it again. It gave him a message saying it wasn't available on his device, even though he was on the current software build. The guys at Verizon even tried to tell him that Advanced Calling wasn't available for the Turbo. This is quickly turning in a CF.

I have a friend I went to school with (telecommunications) who was working on this for Verizon, and he was raving about the call quality. His words were it was "like you're talking to them in the same room". Maybe if the room you're talking in is a 6 foot diameter tube.

I agree it doesn't sound natural, my experience has been the tunnel effect like you mentioned, as well as a high pitched hiss. Hopefully it'll get better.