1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Latest word on when Gingerbread 2.3 will be here for the Shift?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by briankink, Feb 4, 2011.

1. briankink

briankink Lurker

thanks in advance, I'm sure it's been discussed at nauseum

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. z28forlife

z28forlife Member

No word yet. Probably not till summer time is my guess.

3. Matty Mo

Matty Mo Android Enthusiast

Based on the disappointments that sprint has dropped on us with the epics upgrade to 2.2 which is still be dragged out and tonights big reveal i don't think we will ever see it on the shift!!!

jking.

most likely end of summer beginning of fall

4. noobs

noobs Newbie

Part of me thinks never. Especially if an Evo 2 gets announced and released this summer. I feel the Evo has to get it before the Shift would.

5. thathrill

thathrill Newbie

I would think the the Evo and the Shift would get 2.3 at the same time...

6. lunavista

lunavista Newbie

More possible bad news, folks. Rumor is that Android is killing 2.3 rollout & asking manufacturers to wait for 2.4 in April since it supports dual-core. Rooting, anyone?

7. z28forlife

z28forlife Member

I can't see them not releasing gingerbread, sooo many people would be pissed off. If that's the case why even get a non dual core phone?

8. noobs

noobs Newbie

Normally I would agree with this but look at the Galaxy series phones. EVERYONE is pissed about the updates not coming out on them that were promised months ago but the complaints haven't really sped anything up.

9. lunavista

lunavista Newbie

Same deal w/Hero. Sprint has been promising all along that Evo would get 2.3, but GrandpaGoogle holds all the cards. What bugs me is it looks like instead of 2.4, we'll actually be getting 2.3.1 specifically for dual-core lacking any other real enhancements.

10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Apples and oranges.

The Evo was the first non-Google phone (Nexus One) to get Froyo - it leaked by end of July and was fully out August 3, 2010 - so, that's not Sprint's doings - it's Samsung's.

HTC has the best upgrading record as of last year in the business.

Remember that the Gingerbread source code made it into the AOSP repository on or around December 18, 2010 - add in a little holiday time alone and we're barely 6 weeks out from that.

Add in the CES activities plus the launch of the Thunderbolt and a few others - we're not so far behind at all with either the Shift or the Evo. (My original projection for an official Evo update to 2.3 was by today, btw - and that would have been _soonest possible_.)

I'm personally still noodling on a new expected date - but summer or so is way too far out there.

The rumor mills have yet to decide what the real deal is with 2.4 (the article that launched that one was still calling it Ice Cream instead of Ice Cream Sandwich) and Honeycomb as tablet-only, despite the SDK showing otherwise.

I'll take this initial shot - within 30 days, we'll have 2.3 and the new Sense --- unless there's something fundamentally defective in 2.3 and that's the real reason to push out to 2.4.

11. z28forlife

z28forlife Member

HTC has been on top of the upgrades since the launch of evo, the galaxy line is with all carriers and I think doesnt have the same pressure the ego line has. It's springs main selling phone and if HTC knows if they don't upgrade to 2.3 then a lot of people will leave Sprint so I bet Sprint is pushing them just as hard as us customers are to get this release out. Just my .02 though.

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews