1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Latitude Questions

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Dan Davies, May 7, 2012.

1. Dan Davies

Dan Davies Member
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    I have had great success with Latitude, working better than my colleague's in-car unit. However, I had a couple of questions:

- Whenever it starts, it always asks for an additional download to enable voice directions, which I have never bothered with. However, it always gives voice directions! What is with that?
    - Although it works great, it needs not only the GPS (which makes sense), but also a data link. Why is that?

Thanks for any help!

Dan

Advertisement

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I'm not sure about the voice download, I've never had that come up.

The data connection is for the maps and directions. Maps are not stored on your phone (unless you choose to cache an area to your phone and then it is only a basic road map). Also with Latitude it uses data to access the location of the other people on your latitude list.

Dan Davies likes this.
  3. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    Are you talking about the Navigation app that is part of the Maps app on Android? IIRC, Latitude is the app that is also part of Maps that lets you share and/ or check in your location. So the navigation/ satnav part is still part of the same thing, but not exactly the same.

It probably wouldn't hurt to give the voice d/l a try. It's probably just for additional languages. And same as what chrlswltrs said as far as data. But if you do happen to lose data signal for a bit while using navigation, it automatically caches your route and a few potential/ likely re-routes when you first start navigating somewhere, just in case.

Dan Davies likes this.