• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laugh at iPhone x thread

The claim is that the face recognition uses 2 cameras to get stereo imaging, which existing Android face recognition systems don't (though my wife's laptop does, so it's not an innovation).

However, I do find it funny that they are pretending that not having a fingerprint scanner is a choice because face id is better, rather than because the under-screen technology wasn't ready and they didn't want to distract from the logo by putting a scanner on the back ;)

Upvote 0
I'm laughing more at the reported "wireless charging" that will come around, oh, next year some time. And it will require proprietary Apple wireless charging docks. Meanwhile, Android has had wireless charging for what? Three years? And we can use any Qi-compatible charger!

:D:D:D

Upvote 0
It's worth posting again ....

evolution.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm laughing more at the reported "wireless charging" that will come around, oh, next year some time. And it will require proprietary Apple wireless charging docks. Meanwhile, Android has had wireless charging for what? Three years? And we can use any Qi-compatible charger!

:D:D:D
Yeah, but apple did it. So it's legit now.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I was wondering what Sir Jony Ive is doing these days. I mean he was the creative force behind a lot of Apple's products. But I guess a person only has so many game changing and revolutionary ideas in their mind. And when you're an engineer worth $130 million net, then I would think there's a tendency to sit back a little. Don't blame him really.

Upvote 0
Yes I struggle to see these days where the innovation is from Apple. I think it's mainly a style and image thing, supported by their loyal customer base. Someone I know buys Apple kit, but then he'll usually go for the premium (most expensive) brand of any particular product. It's all about labels.

What's funny is that all these people buying iPhones are doing so to impress other people who... have iPhones. We Android people are just laughing at them, because they're putting so much effort and expense into being just like every other member of the collective. And most of them keep their iPhones in cases, so nobody really knows who has the latest model!

I was at a play over the weekend (Deathtrap, save your money) and some guy was marveling at my smartwatch. He'd apparently never seen one. I told him it was a Huawei Watch, and gave him the 10-second overview of what it can do and why I love it... and his next statement was:

And I can't make this up...

"Is that Apple?"

SMH

(Hint: turn your smartwatch OFF before the play starts. Apparently it didn't know it was supposed to be dark in there)

Upvote 0
What's funny is that all these people buying iPhones are doing so to impress other people who... have iPhones. We Android people are just laughing at them, because they're putting so much effort and expense into being just like every other member of the collective. And most of them keep their iPhones in cases, so nobody really knows who has the latest model!

Ah but the iPhone X has the notch, so everyone else who have lesser iPhones can tell straight away, even if it's in case.

I was at a play over the weekend (Deathtrap, save your money) and some guy was marveling at my smartwatch. He'd apparently never seen one. I told him it was a Huawei Watch, and gave him the 10-second overview of what it can do and why I love it... and his next statement was:

And I can't make this up...

"Is that Apple?"

SMH

Even now, I can honestly say the only smart watches I've actually seen in the wild with people wearing them here are Apple Watches. A while back Huawei did have a city centre, high profile travelling road-show touting theirs. But now it's all but vanished, and this is in their home country.

Of course I'm NOT buying an iPhone X nor a Galaxy Note8, as they're both too expensive, especially in the PRC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah but the iPhone X has the notch, so everyone else who have lesser iPhones can tell straight away, even if it's in case.
Before we laugh too loud though, here's a report that Samsung have a patent for a phone with the notch at the bottom. Not only is that not top-notch innovation (because it's bottom-notch...) but if you hold it upside down people might mistake it for an iPhone X.

Even now, I can honestly say the only smart watches I've actually seen in the wild with people wearing them here are Apple Watches.
Funnily enough, although I do see more Apple Watches than other smart watches I have seem Motorola, LG and Huawei watches, as well as Pebbles, in the wild. Of course Fitbits and similar vastly outnumber them (claims by "analysts" and the blogs that smartwatches would kill them seem premature so far).

Upvote 0
I'm seriously considering a V30 because I'm getting so incredibly sick of the changes in iOS10 and 11, but this snarky, condescending nature of so many Android users puts me off a bit. :(

Both OSs have their strengths, and people buy what they want with their own money. It's not funny, it doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they have the freedom to choose. If it wasn't for the first iPhone, Android wouldn't be where it is either. Goes both ways guys.

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones