• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Launcher App suddenly inaccessible

Wombat Pete

Lurker
Feb 2, 2015
Android 12, Ulefone Power Armor 18T
I was creating, essentially, a new GUI in Total Launcher. It's been working really well for months now.
A few days ago, I must have accidentally changed a setting - and Total Launcher is no totally unavailable.
It's there under Settings/Apps, but the "open" button is missing.
The icon for TL is there in the app tray, but when I hit it - this may be the weirdest thing - it takes me to the settings page for the TL app (with the missing "open" button).
Total Launcher is NOT in the list of available home (launcher) apps any longer.
If I open the app page for TL, it appears to running. I can force stop it - that changes nothing, and doesn't solve the problem - which entrenches my suspicion that the problem is a system setting.
All that's left to do is uninstall and reinstall the app, but that would mean a tremendous amount of work, and I have the sense that there's a button accidently pushed somewhere that merely needs to be released to fix the problem!
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/solutions/help!

Last edited:
Try clearing the app defaults. Settings, applications, default apps, reset default apps. then tap the home button, or swipe up for home, and it should ask which default launcher to use. Tap 'Total Launcher' and then 'always'.

Otherwise, it might be incompatible with Android 12. I was saddened when discovering that AOSP Music that I've used since Android 2.3 also 'disabled itself' and did the same behavior you're experiencing whenever my phone got Android 12. (I no longer have that phone, and yet another reason I don't believe in updates)

Reactions: Wombat Pete
Upvote 0
Try clearing the app defaults. Settings, applications, default apps, reset default apps. then tap the home button, or swipe up for home, and it should ask which default launcher to use. Tap 'Total Launcher' and then 'always'.

Otherwise, it might be incompatible with Android 12. I was saddened when discovering that AOSP Music that I've used since Android 2.3 also 'disabled itself' and did the same behavior you're experiencing whenever my phone got Android 12. (I no longer have that phone, and yet another reason I don't believe in updates)believeandbelievesamesame
Thanks, I'll try that! BUT... all I see is a list from which I can choose a launcher, and "none of the above" doesn't seem to be one of the choices. how do I CLEAR the defaults?
There's no "reset default apps" that I see...

(I doubt it's a compatibility problem, as TL has been working beatifully on this system for months.)

Upvote 0

Otherwise, it might be incompatible with Android 12. I was saddened when discovering that AOSP Music that I've used since Android 2.3 also 'disabled itself' and did the same behavior you're experiencing whenever my phone got Android 12. (I no longer have that phone, and yet another reason I don't believe in updates)
Screenshot_20230314-165918.png
This looks, I think, like it wasn't a terribly recent update. The problem sprung up the day before yesterday. (If I'm reading it correctly.)
UPD: People on the TL forum are reporting no problems using TL with Android 12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On the Samsung OneUI 4 (Android 12) update, the reset default apps option is one of the options you see if you tap the three dot menu in upper right corner after you go to application manager, but I am unsure how on yours it works. The option varies across devices.

Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the Play Store? Then it should give you an 'Open' button within Play Store once it finishes?

Upvote 0
UPDfd
On the Samsung OneUI 4 (Android 12) update, the reset default apps option is one of the options you see if you tap the three dot menu in upper right corner after you go to application manager, but I am unsure how on yours it works. The option varies across devices.

Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the Play Store? Then it should give you an 'Open' button within Play Store once it finishes?
That's what I was trying to avoid doing, as I might lose any number of settings. It's a launcher in which I was building a very complex GUI, in effect.
But... (see below)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones