• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Launcher Pro Lag

Mark1987

Jul 20, 2010
Is it normal to experience lag when opening programs. A number of times my screen has gone black when opening a program and the device seems to be unresponsive when pushing the buttons. A few seconds later the phone goes into a mini frenzy because of the buttons pressed during the lag time.

Just wondering, because I was assuming that the launcher pro would be a lot more snappier than the stock samsung ui.

Maybe a factory reset would solve the problem?

Is it normal to experience lag when opening programs. A number of times my screen has gone black when opening a program and the device seems to be unresponsive when pushing the buttons. A few seconds later the phone goes into a mini frenzy because of the buttons pressed during the lag time.

Just wondering, because I was assuming that the launcher pro would be a lot more snappier than the stock samsung ui.

Maybe a factory reset would solve the problem?

I have similar problem with ADW Launcher. I could not open one particular folder in one of the home screens. I rebooted my phone (by pressing volume and power button simultaneously) and it solved the problem. The UI from ADW Launcher is snappier but at times i experience enormous lags and also choppy performance. Samsung UI was never a problem like people are saying in forums.

Upvote 0
Last Thursday (1 week with phone), I did a factory reset. I don't know what the problem with the phone was, but it would do just what you are experiencing. Black screens before a program opens, huge lag after you pushing a button/icon.
I had Launcher Pro and ADW launcher loaded, but it didn't seem to matter which launcher I used. I would kill all tasks and still no difference. I even started to uninstall apps one at a time, but couldn't track down what the problem was.
Since the reset 4 days ago, the phone seems MUCH more responsive, no lag or black screens. I'm using TouchWiz now with no problems. I'm just installing a few programs each day so I can track it better if I start having problems. All is good so far. Most of the programs have been reinstalled, with the exception of Launcher pro, ADW launcher and Fancy widget.

Upvote 0
I"m having the same problem. Probably all the same stuff everybody is talking about re: LAG for the Captivate. Bunch of threads about fixes; new roms for improvments, etc.

It seems to me that in spite of what everybody says about Android handling memory, and that 60mb is plenty, it seems to vary.

One thing that I am noticing (or maybe its my imagination), is that if I use the phone for a while, and open several different programs, and do a lot on it, it will ultimately get slow, laggy, and almost worthless.

If I shut the screen off and set it down for a while, and come back to it later, it seems rsponsive again (Android having time for cleanup?).

Not sure what to think about it yet.

Upvote 0
I"m having the same problem. Probably all the same stuff everybody is talking about re: LAG for the Captivate. Bunch of threads about fixes; new roms for improvments, etc.

It seems to me that in spite of what everybody says about Android handling memory, and that 60mb is plenty, it seems to vary.

One thing that I am noticing (or maybe its my imagination), is that if I use the phone for a while, and open several different programs, and do a lot on it, it will ultimately get slow, laggy, and almost worthless.

If I shut the screen off and set it down for a while, and come back to it later, it seems rsponsive again (Android having time for cleanup?).

Not sure what to think about it yet.

I've had the same deal. Don't wanna do factory reset though. That would be a pain.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone. I just downloaded an updated version of Launcher Pro, and my device is much faster now. I use Advanced Task Killer, and manage to get about 120 mb free after killing all other apps except for lookout(tracks phone location, antivirus, etc.

I posted another thread asking about possibilities of backing up my apps on my pc since I don't have a micro sd card. Any suggestions for programs that would help?

Upvote 0
It seems like I've recieved maybe up to 4 launcher pro updates.

One thing I did that really helped lags I was having: I uninstalled the 3rd party lock screen. It was nice, called GoTo. But it was slowing down my device a lot.

Also, anyone using a task killer: I highly recommend you look at AutoKiller (and there are 2 others like it). Read this thread on XDA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones