• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Launcher pro or ADW?

I liked the customization of Launcher Pro better, but it would occasionally have this weird but where certain folders on my phone's "desktop" just wouldn't open no matter how many times I tried to open them. It would require restarting the phone for the folders to open again.

That said, I've switched back over to ADW launcher, which certainly isn't bad.

Upvote 0
I used Launcher Pro, then switched to ADW after reports of better battery life, then switched back and forth a few times - the battery didn't seem to drain much faster/slower with either for me. So I'm back to Launcher Pro. No real reason, it's just the one that was still running when I decided battery usage was essentially the same.

Upvote 0
I like launcher pro for the customizable dock. You can have 5 icons x 3 plus each icon has two settings. For example you can set up one to open browser when tapped, or open a book mark when swiped. I have the camera icon open camera when tapped, gallery when swype. The music icon opens mixzing when tappe, pandora when swyped. I put the phone icon in the middle on all three drawers. When I tao phone it opens phone but when I swipe it, it opens the notification tray.which is nice because my thumbs aren't long enough to reach up there

Upvote 0
I like Launcher Pro a lot more, but it does seem to drain your battery a bit more than ADW, so now I am back to Twiz and I still cant believe you cant customize the dock lol

you can change icons to different apps on dock. from what I recall, on the apps launcher screen you can go to edit, change to non-alphabetical, then drag what you dont want off the dock and drag what you want onto the dock, then change back to alpha..

Reactions: Ynomrah and acp
Upvote 0
I have both ADW and Launcher Pro. I use home switcher to switch between ADW, Launcher Pro and the TW Launcher. I did not notice any significant battery life improvement from one over the others. The battery life seems to be about the same between all three to me.

I like ADW for the following reasons:

1. DROID X theme available in the market
2. Ability to expand and shrink widget size
3. Swipe to get preview of all home screens

What i don't like about ADW:

1. Too many FCs (Force Close)
2. When you select the apps on the homescreen, the color you choose stands out a lot. You will notice it even when you flip through the screens. I would like to see a no press color option

I like Launcher Pro for the following reasons:

1. First and foremost, scrollable dock
2. Dock notifications (not that important but a cool feature to have)
3. Three customizable dock layouts (I have the glass one)
4. Separate memory usage settings (I like the option that prevents force closes)
5. 3D App drawer (not that important but looks cool. They say it is under development and may cause stability issues. But, it is working perfect on my samsung captivate)

What i don't like about Launcher Pro:

1.Occasional Choppy performance
2.No swipe to open previews option (although you can hit the home button while on home screen to get preview of all screens)
3. Don't see any free add-on themes that will go with LauncherPro (may be i am wrong. If someone knows where to get themes i can use with Launcher Pro then please reply to this message)

TWLauncher: this is the samsung touch wiz. I don't hate anything about this. I don't like it too much either. In other words, I don't care!!

Final verdict:

I prefer Launcher Pro over ADW because of one single reason. Force-closures. ADW should fix it. If they fix it, probably i will shift my default home app from Launcher Pro to ADW.

Hope this helps folks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones