1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Launcher questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gordonwd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    With Android devices, it's sometimes hard to tell if a certain feature is native Android or if it's part of the vendor customizations. This could also all be moot once ICS comes out in a week or so and takes care of some of these issues. However, I haven't quite figured out how a couple of basic operational things work.

First off, I'm surprised that there's apparently no way to group launcher icons in folders. After all, my Android 2.2 phone has this feature, but I guess that's actually part of the "HTC Sense" interface. And besides, I think that ICS does have this, and you do it by simply dragging one icon on top of another.

The thing I'm curious about now is what I see when I tap the Apps icon in the upper right and all the apps are displayed. At the edge of the screen are some glowing outlines in various shapes -- what the heck are these for? Tapping one just takes me to the next screenful of apps, and I don't see any obvious way of doing anything with them.

Anyone know what these are for?

Advertisement

2. beallpatrick

beallpatrick Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Neuroscientist
    Those are the outlines of the adjacent column of apps on the next screen in that direction.

My guess is that they're just there for cosmetic purposes.