• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LauncherPro vs. GO launcher EX

I have been using LauncherPro since i got my DX 2 weeks ago, but on appbrain today i saw GO launcher EX and it looks pretty nice but I'm not sure how it is and don't want to try it before hearing peoples opinions. Have any of you used it and prefer one over the other? Would i uninstall lancherpro before installing it? I guess over reactions on the two would be very helpful.

Thanks

I am an avid ADW EX user and have not tried either of the 2 launchers you mentioned but general rule of thumb is you can have both launchers installed but strip the unused launcher of all widgets to avoid conflicts. Use a program like Home Switcher (or Home switcher for Froyo) to easily set the default homescreen and switch back and forth.

Home Switcher - Android app on AppBrain

Reactions: darkrequiem
Upvote 0
I am using Go Launcher EX.
What I love most is that I can create folders on the app drawer and keep my app list clean. That was what I was looking from the first day I bought my phone.
On app drawer page, you have three tabs, All/Recent/Running. If you have 100 apps, don't want to use folders and you use the same apps all the time, you can just hit Recent and choose from there your favourite app.
On the dock, you can put 15 shortcuts. I never used, but some find it cool.
Instead of having 4x4 apps per page, you might have 4x5 or 5x5 apps per page.

And if you want to know anything else, you can post a pm to me :)

Reactions: 23-D
Upvote 0
I used Launcher Pro Plus for months and months, then when 'Go Launcher' came out back in December I gave it a whirl.... it blew my socks off. I honestly can't remember LPP much anymore, I never looked back once installing GL. I'm now on 'Go Launcher EX' and it's pretty much just like GL only you can theme it.

Some of the things that I like better, when moving an app from one home screen to the next as soon as you pick up the app and drag it over to the edge, all of your homescreens appear so you can drop it into any home screen you want it in. Also, you can move entire home screens around just by picking them up in the multi-view mode and moving them anywhere you want them. Also, you can add up to 30 home screens if you wish (I'm up to 11 right now). Also, I have customized it so that when I swipe down on my home screen my notification bar disappears.... swipe down again for it to reappear. Swipe up and it takes me to multi-view mode.

The app drawer is totally kick ass too IMO. So anyhow, I say definately try it out. The worst that could happen is you find out you like LP better and stay with it. Or you may be like me and find out that you like 'Go Launcher' better.

Either way, you win.

Upvote 0
I used Launcher Pro Plus for months and months, then when 'Go Launcher' came out back in December I gave it a whirl.... it blew my socks off. I honestly can't remember LPP much anymore, I never looked back once installing GL. I'm now on 'Go Launcher EX' and it's pretty much just like GL only you can theme it.

Some of the things that I like better, when moving an app from one home screen to the next as soon as you pick up the app and drag it over to the edge, all of your homescreens appear so you can drop it into any home screen you want it in. Also, you can move entire home screens around just by picking them up in the multi-view mode and moving them anywhere you want them. Also, you can add up to 30 home screens if you wish (I'm up to 11 right now). Also, I have customized it so that when I swipe down on my home screen my notification bar disappears.... swipe down again for it to reappear. Swipe up and it takes me to multi-view mode.

The app drawer is totally kick ass too IMO. So anyhow, I say definately try it out. The worst that could happen is you find out you like LP better and stay with it. Or you may be like me and find out that you like 'Go Launcher' better.

Either way, you win.

I felt exactly the same way! Go Launcher is extremely amazing. Only thing I miss from LPP is the contacts widget. I haven't really been able to find another one like it... So far I've been using Animated widgets.

Upvote 0
I think Go Launcher has a bug. Whenever I'm on a diff home screen page, and I press HOME, it shows a blank HOME screen with just the wallpaper + Dock. I have to press HOME again to get my stuff to show up.
Yes, that's been reported elsewhere. They know about it and according to their twitter feed, they are hopeful they'll have an update tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I think Go Launcher has a bug. Whenever I'm on a diff home screen page, and I press HOME, it shows a blank HOME screen with just the wallpaper + Dock. I have to press HOME again to get my stuff to show up.

I thought that was a privacy function :) :) :)

Does it on mine too, minor annoyance in an otherwise great product. I used to run LP, but now I'm quite happy with Go EX.

Upvote 0
I guess I just gotta find the time to uninstall LP then install ex and set it up how I want it.

You don't need to uninstall LP to try GO EX. I had GO, ADW, LP and Zeam all loaded for a while as i slowly got each one configured and tried them all out. I used Launcher Switcher to from one to another until i settled on one.

FTR - I ended up sticking with GO Launcher.

Upvote 0
Are any of you using Tasker and do you change your wallpapers with Tasker? Also, are any of you using Widget Locker?

I think Tasker and GO Launcher and Widget Locker (possibly the specific combination of all three)...made GO Launcher unstable...

1) My homescreen went blank TWICE...First time just the widgets got deleted, but my 6 home pages remained...2nd time all the widgets got deleted AND my homescreen of 6 magically became only 1

2) Widget Locker widgets also disappeared when the above happened.

3) I got a call, and I could clearly see the Accept / Reject sliders BUT I couldn't slide either and the phone froze

4) I have autoprofiles set up in Tasker, where volume, lock, and wallpaper change automatically depending on my location or device contexts.

So, I'm thinking my way of using my phone made GO Launcher choke...

Anyone else have the same 4 combos? Or similar combos? Have you had any issues like I've had?

I would love to give GO Launcher another shot, but not being able to answer the few calls I get is not acceptable.

BTW, all my probs went away after uninstalling GO Launcher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones