1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

LauncherPro vs. GO launcher EX

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Killingmoon123, Jan 23, 2011.

1. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    The GO product line isn't free. They're using your information. I prefer to pay outright for my programs - plus I like LauncherPro Plus better anyways.

Advertisement

2. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Yeah I tried Go, and it was a good launcher... I just really like the launcher pro plus widgets and launcher pro in general more.

3. Bayint Naung

Bayint Naung Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Naypyidaw
    How do you know they are using information? I check launcherPro permission. it includes internet permission too.
    I'm currently using Go launcher. but thinking to buy either adw or launcher pro.
    I tried both free adw/launcher pro, I don't like as much as GL. Perhaps because free version does not have much features?

4. reinbeau

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Because I read it over on the XDA GO SMS thread. I just prefer to pay outright. Yes, Launcher Pro has internet permissions, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with the new licensing thing. I've got the old e-mailed the password thing here.

5. Bayint Naung

Bayint Naung Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Naypyidaw
    I'm going to buy launcher pro because it has widgets. which I think looks cool.
    Hopefully it has features like GL,
    1. swap home screen by dragging
    2. select which screen to go when press home screen
    3. resize widgets, rename icon. (I can use my native language font with GL! )
    ??
    Free version does not have them. :=|

6. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Female
    Go lets you resize widgets. LP, you have to buy the paid version to do that. I use the resize because I like 5x5 grid, and you have to force Beautiful Widgets, Fancy Widgets, etc clock/weather widget to stretch all the way across the screen when you have 5 across.

7. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    Link to the particular content you are referring to? The GoSMS thread at XDA has over 278 pages...

8. Bayint Naung

Bayint Naung Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Naypyidaw
    I have bought launcher pro. I still prefer go launcher. =|
    I can rename, change icon easily in GL.
    Adding and swapping home screen is easier in GL.
    Edit: Actually default home launcher is even more capable in some customization like adding home screen than launcher pro! gEEEEE!!!!

9. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    I follow all the GO threads on xda and have never seen any reference to this. I saw a couple intsances where users inquired as to why they're developing all this for free, and threw out some paranoid speculations, but were found to be a reputable organization by other developers at xda. I've yet to see anything in those threads that indicate they use your information.

10. reinbeau

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Search on my name, you'll find the discussion.

11. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Those of you who are using GO Laucher - don't miss the huge amount of themes (Menu - themes)! :)

12. ekaminar

ekaminar Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I"ve been having some battery usage issues with Go Launcher. It definitely drains a little faster than normal (with the same amount of use as before), and oddly, in my battery usage breakdown, "Android System" now eats about 30% as opposed to 8%, which is what it used to average at.

But the GO Launcher app itself only says it's using around 4% of the battery. I'm wondering what's causing the Android System to use up so much more power.

13. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Female
    "Android system" doesn't even show on my battery usage (using Go).

84% Display
    9% Cell standby
    4% Phone idle
    3% Voice calls

14. ekaminar

ekaminar Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Hmm odd. Or maybe my Atrix is whats odd. It looks like your phone might lump everything you do while the screen is on (with the exception of calls) into "Display" (ie. texting, gmail, what have you.)

15. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Female
    Dunno about that. Here's a screen shot of another Epic user's battery status.

[​IMG]

16. EdAndInn

EdAndInn Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    :)

I never used Launcher Pro. I tried ADW launcher and Zeam Launcher. Did not like those. I am using Go launcher Ex. It has all the features I need, it is responsive and stable.

Latest version has a lot of new improvements too!

:)

17. stueycaster

stueycaster Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    LauncherPro feels way smoother and faster than GoLauncher to me. I just gave GL a 2 day trial and my phone never felt right. Back on LP and it feels good again.

18. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    I've used them all pretty extensively. Launcher Pro was no doubt nice, but it just didn't have the features I was looking for. Go Launcher EX had everything I wanted (plus far more) and it was quick. Can't complain there.

Unless a major re-write comes out for Launcher Pro or ADW, I don't see myself trying the others. I felt like I've spent enough time toying with them at this point so I intend to stick with my decision for quite a while unless otherwise well warranted. :cool:

19. pageisgod85

pageisgod85 Newbie
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Pune, India
    I might be in the minority here, but after over a month of using Go Launcher EX as my default launcher, I'm back to Launcher Pro as it's simply smoother than Go. I use a ZTE Blade and have tested this on two other phones too. The screen transitions on Go Launcher are choppy, but the screen preview is simply horrible.

I miss the ability to use more than 7 screens on Go, but that is something I can live without. Launcher Pro is far smoother in the app drawer, screen transitions as well as screen preview. Unless the Go Dev team work on making Go Launcher as smooth as LP or ADW, I don't see myself going back to it.

20. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Female
    I am back to LPP, too. I flashed a new rom, and it came preloaded with LP and a few others, but no Go. I have not felt the need to ditch it for Go. Plus I still prefer the dock on LP.

21. atkjhi

atkjhi Newbie
    None

Nov 14, 2010
    The performance of these launchers varies from phone to phone. Zeam which many claim is the lighest/fastest launcher performs poorly on many of the newer phones but seems to work well with older phones.

22. Mooksy

Mooksy Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2011
    Hi everyone I am a new member. Awesome site thanks.
    On my Galaxy S2 launcher pro is good but not good enough for the icandy needed for this caliber of smartphone if you know what I mean? I switched to GL EX and it seems to fit the phone better in terms of the myriad of tweaking you can do, and may I mention that it's free to use making it an instant win considering how well it's implemented within the android UI.
    It's smooth and at present I use the 'iphone' theme which is super sharp on the AMOLED + screen. I have the GL EX ' clockwidget' which is THE ONLY clock widget available that actually animates as it updates (love the retro wood clock); If anyone can tell me of a theme clock that does this I stand corrected. :)
    The APP drawer is better than LP i think. Adding buttons onto homescreens using GL EX is light years more intuitive then any others I've used.
    email, FB, Twit etc has better homescreens on LP though. So in that respect I use touchwiz 4 widgets instead for that side of things. (I love andriod)
    Only thing I do not like is the lack of skins available for widgets in GL EX at present.

23. krospyke

krospyke Member
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Male
    tried GLEX today. uninstalled and went back to LPP after some fiddling

LPP > SMOOTHER, stable, faster, smaller in size (3.02mb)
    GLEX > nice ui but laggy at times., i do like the folder widget. larger in size (5mb). oh and i really liked that you can see your wallpaper in the app drawer.
    ...but it cant beat the smoothness of LPP... but thats just me.

24. Lindalulu33

Lindalulu33 Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2011
    I downloaded go launcher ex a week ago and now I'm not getting all my picture mail, it just says downloading. Please help

25. tracsportva

tracsportva Member
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Male
    PE Teacher
    Gainesville, VA
    Do you think LPP will upgrade soon? a newer version etc..

One thing that I love about go launcher is it updates frequently.

I like the variety of things you can do with it too, but if LPP is faster, and well less space, I am all in. I have a sprint LG optimus, a little phone not alot of push so I could use all the help I can get.