• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LauncherPro: What does it add over Sense?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
I was reading a bit about the latest updates to LauncherPro and wondering why you would use it. Some of the features and latest updates seem similar to what I already have on my Evo, such as 7 homescreens and a "Friends" widget like the Friendstream widget. I can see how non-HTC users might like these things, but what does LauncherPro provide besides small additions like this?

The most noticeable (at a glance) seems to be the dock bar, but anything else?

(Also, does it require a rooted phone to use, or is it just an app that replaces whatever launcher you're currently using?)

I have an EVO, and i like both sense and laucherPro, but i've now stuck with launcher pro for a one big reason: CUSTOMIZATION

MY quick summary of pro's and con's of LauncherPRO vs HTC SENSE on EVO

PROs:
LauncherPro allows you to use the home screen in Landscape mode (I use kickstand a lot)
The Dock buttons on the buttons can be customized, you also can scroll the bottom docks for more buttons.
Swipe gestures (you can set dock buttons to perform seperate actions for swiping over the button as opposed to pressing the button)
App Drawer has smoother animations, and cleaner look.
You can resize widgets (i haven't really used this feature much)

Cons:

Some of the very nice Sense widgets do not work in Launcher Pro (there are alternatives like beautiful widget, launcherpro widgets, and music mod widgets)

For me, the pros edged over the cons. It will grow on you afer you put some time into customizing it. Beautiful widgets is a must for me. Take some time to download and play with it, you can always switch back to sense. (you do not need to be rooted)

Reactions: JohnJSal
Upvote 0
You can change the icon for everything on your screen, so it can all have have a nice contiguous look. You can also change the dock bar background. Mine is a football field on the dock now, and all my homescreen icons are blue to match my Chicago Bears wallpaper.

I like being able to choose how many rows and columns I have on the screens too.

Homescreen in landscape is awesome.

Launcher Pro PLUS has the awesome option to resize widgets and icons, and there are some special widgets for that edition.

No root required.

There's a whole website dedicated to Launcher Pro, where you can get some great ideas about functionality and stuff. www.launcherpro.com

Reactions: mcatdtDROID
Upvote 0
I'm liking that football field picture for the dock... my theme is Florida State football, and that would tie in nicely. can you add the image on here so I can look to see if it would work for mine.

Custimization of LP is great.... that's why I use it. the few cons that were mentioned I have also noticed, but there are ways to do the same things you lose from sense, on LP

Upvote 0
I'm liking that football field picture for the dock... my theme is Florida State football, and that would tie in nicely. can you add the image on here so I can look to see if it would work for mine.

Custimization of LP is great.... that's why I use it. the few cons that were mentioned I have also noticed, but there are ways to do the same things you lose from sense, on LP

I'm way behind in replies, sorry. I don't have the image file for the football field dock, it's actually part of an app called LauncherPro Icons. You can get it in the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones