1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Lava themed HTC IME mod.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nomnompie, Jun 11, 2010.

1. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    So, I was bored this morning and I created a skinned HTC IME mod using Gimpsta's theme generator found here: http://www.gimpsta.com/themerlo/main.php

I did it using a key template I made and a simple filter using GIMP 2, along with the "transparent" key options on the themer. Hoping to make a tutorial soon on how I did it cause it's pretty cool.

Here is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't attach the APK for some reason so I tried uploading to mediafire.
    [Link deleted]

Advertisement

2. ticho

ticho Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Slovakia
    Maybe it only seems so on these screenshots, but the keyboard is pretty much unreadable - the flame-ish clutter in the background of each key button makes it hard to figure out which key is which.

3. nomnompie

Mar 29, 2010
    Hm, it could be the screenshots or maybe your monitor is dark? The symbols actually look a bit brighter on the phone itself though.

It is kind of wild though I will admit, :eek: but it looks ok to me on the phone itself. Maybe give it a try?

I can make other kinds though, and am planning on showing how I did this if anybody is interested.

4. gimpsta

gimpsta New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    best use of my generator yet!!!!!!!!!!

So let me get this straight, you created a background with that design on it, mimicking the look of a key, and then used the completely transparent (no keys) primary/function keys?

How does it look in compact qwerty/t9 mode? Not at all right I'd guess?

Either way, extremely creative. I've seen evidence of other people trying similar (browsing through images that people upload :) ) but never seen it pulled off this well.

Kudos!

5. nomnompie

Mar 29, 2010
    Yup, that is what I did. Glad you like it. :D

I never even thought of that though but you're right, the compact QWERTY looks very strange. None of the "keys" line up. :eek:

Didn't notice as I personally never use it... but anybody that uses it will not want to use this method of skinning I guess. :eek: :p

(EDIT) In theory you can make it work for the compact QWERTY too, but you just have to use one or the other.. Either the full qwerty or the compact qwerty.

Basically I used GIMP to make "cutouts" with holes exactly where the keys are. Then using GIMP, and some nifty tools, you can use the cutouts as 'stencils'. I want to make a tutorial explaining how I did it, and I'll include the cutouts attached.

I'm assuming the HTC IME mod doesn't have ability to use a separate background for the compact QWERTY?

(edit2) I just realized that the keys dont line up on the number/symbol boards either.. bummer lol. The number row lines up but not the symbol rows. Ah well, again I rarely use those so to me it isn't a huge deal but to some it will be and they will not want to skin via this method.:eek:

6. Slug

Slug Check six!

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    The IME is HTC's property and not part of Android's open-source code, so please don't post links to it.

Thanks for your co-operation.

nomnompie likes this.
  7. nomnompie

Mar 29, 2010
    My bad mate... wasn't aware of that since there are so many customized versions floating about, never crossed my mind. :(

Just when I think I can contribute something neat.. :rolleyes: My apologies, thanks for letting me know.

Tags: