• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaked 2.1 or Waiting for OTA?

Leaked 2.1 or Waiting for OTA?

• Total voters
there isn't an undecided? I will most likely install this weekend, I just didn't want to do it because then I wouldnt be able to put the thing down and there is work to do families to not ignore etc. I finally got the phone how I liked it and not sure if I'm ready to blow those settings out yet. Now if I heard the OTA was gonna come out next week I'd just wait....
I'll put it on mine and leave the wife's alone for a while.

Upvote 0
wow I was a little bit nervous about doing it but I am sure glad I did. People aren't exaggerating when they say the phone is faster it feels like it is running on completely different hardware. I had previously been running OpenHome which seemed to speed things up some on 1.5 but even with Sense enabled everything is much snappier now. I won't have a chance to play with everything til later but the install only took about 5 minutes then the initial setup about another 3. I backed up all my old apps first but will most likely just download them again from the new market if possible and see what else is available that perhaps wasn't before for 1.5 If the official one doesn't come out in the next day or so I highly recommend everyone do it.

Upvote 0
One odd thing that I have noticed with the upgrade to 2.1 is that I actually have more free memory than I did before. The only app I was unable to reinstall was Weather Bug Elite and I have actually installed a few more that were not available before. On 1.5 my memory would stay around 65 Mb, but with 2.1 I am sitting at about 90 Mb right now. Just counted and I have 30 3rd party apps installed.

Upvote 0
One odd thing that I have noticed with the upgrade to 2.1 is that I actually have more free memory than I did before. The only app I was unable to reinstall was Weather Bug Elite and I have actually installed a few more that were not available before. On 1.5 my memory would stay around 65 Mb, but with 2.1 I am sitting at about 90 Mb right now. Just counted and I have 30 3rd party apps installed.

Cool.

Along the lines of free memory, I've been wondering how much of 1.5 can be removed, or is replaced by 2.1.

Upvote 0
Cool.

Along the lines of free memory, I've been wondering how much of 1.5 can be removed, or is replaced by 2.1.

Well, with the leaked upgrade (I imagine with the OTA too) the whole OS is replaced. So really everything is replaced.

I also remember having 159 Mb free memory when I originally bought the Eris. When I checked after the 2.1 upgrade, I noticed that I had 143 Mb.

Upvote 0
I'm going to hold off for a week or two, and see what materializes in the form of either an OTA version, or give the leaked version some time to work out any potential bugs and glitches.

Smart.

And, smart as it is, I dare say I am glad there are many who are not doing that and have instead installed this 2.1 leak, otherwise the mentioned issues would be hidden from our view.

Upvote 0
Smart.

And, smart as it is, I dare say I am glad there are many who are not doing that and have instead installed this 2.1 leak, otherwise the mentioned issues would be hidden from our view.

Everyone should keep in mind that many of us doubt that 2.1 is the source of these problems. The original was corrupt and needed to be patched to install. Some of the problems people are seeing may be due to the patch and not the OS itself.

Upvote 0
Everyone should keep in mind that many of us doubt that 2.1 is the source of these problems. The original was corrupt and needed to be patched to install. Some of the problems people are seeing may be due to the patch and not the OS itself.

That could be the hope.

I'm wondering, though, why that information has not dissuaded you and other intelligent Eris users from actually installing the leaked and patched 2.1.

Upvote 0
That could be the hope.

I'm wondering, though, why that information has not dissuaded you and other intelligent Eris users from actually installing the leaked and patched 2.1.

I knew it wouldn't void my warranty and I could simply exchange it for another if it messed up my phone. That is just me though. I don't think most of us knew there would be a problem with the patch when it was first uploaded.

Upvote 0
How can you have user error on something that basically requires pressing one button?

george-w-bush.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones