• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Leaked FroYo Radio (Root!)

Iliketrains

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
Well, I sure haven't been here in awhile. But I bring tidings of good will! The great fellows over at XDA have gotten their hands on the newest radio for our device, and its ready for all of us to use.
First off, let me answer some question that will likely arise from this:
1. What does this do? A: this installs the newest software for the radio. It brings improvements like better battery life, and a much stronger signal (I got an instant increase from 0.5 MBPs to 3.0 MBPs)
2. I want it! Gimme! Where is it? A: right here [RADIO] Newest Radio from Froyo OTA 1/21/2011 - xda-developers
3. How do I do this? What do I do? A: Well first off, you MUST be rooted. No ifs, ands, or buts. I wrote a guide on how to do it: check out the section titled "All Things Root". Once you're rooted and running the ROM of your choice (Look up CyanoGinger. You'll be glad you did), just boot into Clockwork (From ROM Manager, (After pressing "Flash Clockwork Recovery"), just press "Reboot into Recovery"), after you have placed the appropriate file on the root of your SD Card (not in a folder), go to "Install Zip from scard", then go to "select to zip" (or whatever it is, I can't remember. You'll know it when you see it), and finally scroll down to the radio, select it, scroll down 50 billion times to hit yes, and wait. It will freak you out, don't be alarmed.
Oh, and this should go without saying, but do a Nandroid backup before doing this. You can do that from ROM Manager by selecting "Backup ROM".

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE. IF YOU TRY TO BLAME IT ON ME, I WILL LAUGH AT YOU. VERY HARD.

Now, enjoy. If you have any issues, or if the installation goes well for you, I would bery much appreciate a comment or a thanks. I'm jus' sayin' :3

it should also be mentioned that the entire OTA has been made into a rom by ChiefzReloaded and is up for grabs at xda. everything works and is rooted!

Ah yes. I should have made note of that last night. I didn't because its just the files. As of now, there is no way for us to even use it (aside from the rom you linked to). We can't apply it (to my knowledge). Its not like a flashable .zip, its like the contents of said zip. However, it gives dev's some more resources to toy around with, so there's that.

Upvote 0
Ah yes. I should have made note of that last night. I didn't because its just the files. As of now, there is no way for us to even use it (aside from the rom you linked to). We can't apply it (to my knowledge). Its not like a flashable .zip, its like the contents of said zip. However, it gives dev's some more resources to toy around with, so there's that.

nope, you're wrong on this one. check the link in my post again. it is a FULL rom of the froyo ota and i have it loaded on my old slide right now! flash it through clockwork recovery like ALL roms. its fast too.

Upvote 0
If you have any issues, or if the installation goes well for you, I would bery much appreciate a comment or a thanks. I'm jus' sayin' :3

thank you?? for what? what is it you think you did? posting a link to someone elses work on someone else thread? yeah right! "i'm jus' sayin'" no thanks bud. but big thanks to the ones that actually did the work! THANX CHIEFZRELOADED AND KRYLON360!

Upvote 0
Nevermind I played with my taskiller a little and the ROM is snappy now. My GF loves it after I installed ADW over top of it

snap20110127_074517.png

snap20110127_153305.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones