• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaked OTA: Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down to 80% after 2 hours of light usage... I'm thinking no improvement

Well, that's too bad it hasn't led to an improvement in battery life for you. I guess it won't help everyone. Like I said, my battery life was good even before the update, but now it's really good.

Still, watching a movie I downloaded sucks the same amount of battery before and after the update, but I use a third-party app I downloaded from the market for playback, which the update obviously didn't improve. I guess, the tweaks only really helped with system stuff.

But it's still nice when I haven't used my phone in a few hours and check my battery to see it at the same level it was at the last time I checked. Before the update, my battery would drain about 10% every 2-3 hours or so with push gmail and corporate email enabled, and Pulse reader updating every hour. Now its more like 4-5 hours.

Upvote 0
I was away from home today, had to go to a friend's wedding, I was unplugged for much of the day. I texted, used the camera, etc, and I can definitely see an improvement in my battery life.

I've been testing since Friday afternoon and definetly notice a HUGE improvement in battery life. although it's hard to tell as I don't use the phone as much on the weekend, but the battery doesn't move on standby like it used to.

Upvote 0
I'll give VZW about a few weeks to make this patch official, otherwise I'll probably just install this hack.

I understand the eagerness to get those improvements the OTA is rumored/talked about to provide, but why not wait until the finished product?

Following the OTA we can always re-root our Droid 3, that is, if you've rooted yours.

Mine remains rooted and "cleaned out," I'll wait a bit longer before un-rooting and putting the "required" junk back in because I think the official OTA won't be along for at least a few weeks, perhaps longer; might as well keep my device fast and furious for as long as I can. ;)

Reactions: beowulf7
Upvote 0
I understand the eagerness to get those improvements the OTA is rumored/talked about to provide, but why not wait until the finished product?

Following the OTA we can always re-root our Droid 3, that is, if you've rooted yours.

Mine remains rooted and "cleaned out," I'll wait a bit longer before un-rooting and putting the "required" junk back in because I think the official OTA won't be along for at least a few weeks, perhaps longer; might as well keep my device fast and furious for as long as I can. ;)

One of my biggest fears, and it may just be an irrational one, is that the OTA, should it be different, may have a fix for the root exploit currently being used on all Moto GB phones. That could be one reason why the current soak test leak, which really does seem to resolve a lot of the issues people have been having with the D3, hasn't been released yet. Of all the phone makers out there Moto is the most notorious at attempting to prevent root. But like I said, this is just me thinking out loud. I guess only time will tell.

Upvote 0
Is the radio fixed in the sense that it doesn't randomly drop all signal or do the 3g/1x thing?

Well, I can't be sure about the switching between the 3G/1X as I live in NYC where that happens a lot anyway. It did with my DX and it still does with my D3.

As for the random signal drop, there's been two occasions since I've applied the update where I've unlocked my phone and noticed no 3G/1X signal at all, like it went into data saver mode. It's never cut off in the middle of actual use, however. And it came back on a few seconds after I unlocked the phone, unlike before, where I would have to turn on and then turn off airplane to get my signal back. And it also hasn't happened nearly as much as it did prior to the update (sometimes, my 3G signal would drop 2-3 times a day randomly before the update). But it does happen, at least on my phone.

Reactions: ekyle
Upvote 0
The way I look at it, this is a great update, I'm seeing better performance, and when an official OTA is available I have the luxury to upgrade to that if I read that it's a legit improvement. (and I can wait a bit to see) If it stops people being able to root, I won't bother with it, and I'll be happy with what I have.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't be sure about the switching between the 3G/1X as I live in NYC where that happens a lot anyway. It did with my DX and it still does with my D3.

As for the random signal drop, there's been two occasions since I've applied the update where I've unlocked my phone and noticed no 3G/1X signal at all, like it went into data saver mode. It's never cut off in the middle of actual use, however. And it came back on a few seconds after I unlocked the phone, unlike before, where I would have to turn on and then turn off airplane to get my signal back. And it also hasn't happened nearly as much as it did prior to the update (sometimes, my 3G signal would drop 2-3 times a day randomly before the update). But it does happen, at least on my phone.
Well, that's an improvement I suppose. Thanks for the update

Upvote 0
Well, that's an improvement I suppose. Thanks for the update

It's enough of an improvement in my opinion, especially when taken with the other fixes (the better battery life during standby and GPS not taking a year to find my location when I want to utilize nav probably being the biggest). And the ability to finally vchat. In my view there was just simply NO excuse by moto/verizon to launch a phone with a camera that essentially served no purpose (except as a mirror). To me, that's a tease and you don't tease your customers.

Btw, our good friends at TBH seem to be working hard on a possible SBF, which obviously is great news. I also recall P3Droid (from TBH) tweeting that he was playing around with his wife's D3. Having experience with their mods and leaked files with my DX, it gives me great joy and confidence that these awesome dudes are working for our benefit. I already bought there app, but if they get this to work, I'll be donating again for sure.

Upvote 0
Other forums and posters are adamant the blue was fixed and posted pics to show. Strong sugar pills?

I absolutely LOVE this update. Plan on showing my improve in batt life with a few pics in my next post, but the blue tint issue has not gone away for me. It may be a little bit better. You guys can be the judge:

2011-09-06_11-51-43_500.jpg

Upvote 0
Other forums and posters are adamant the blue was fixed and posted pics to show.

I'm seeing discussion about it here and there in other forums.. still seems to be uncertainty about that fix.

At this point I just have to say that I've been taking pics and videos by the dozens with my new D3 (kid in college marching band, pets around the house, new siding on house, etc) and have never detected any blue tint or other serious issue with the quality.

I've turned the phone over to other people and had them look at the pics and they say nothing of a blueish tint whether I tell them to look for it or not.

*shrugs*

Upvote 0
I've read many times before that you should give your phone a few days after an update before judging improvement in battery life. Well, it's been a week for me. Here are some pics:

CAP201109061108.png

CAP201109061106.png

This is after more than 12 hours with light to moderate use. The screen (not the phone) was probably off for about 2/3rds of that time, so we're talking about 4 hours of actual screen time. Nothing too crazy, though, like video playback. But I did check out two free RPG-type games I downloaded off the market (Inotia 3 and ThirdBlade) for about 15 minutes each before deleting them. Checked and responded back to work email, read off of Pulse, checked my stocks and made two phone calls that probably lasted a total of 15 minutes. Nevertheless, this is the most impressed (and happy) I've been with the battery life on this phone. Still, you guys can judge for yourself.

Upvote 0
I've only noticed it with the flash on.
It happens with a lot of phones when they have the flash on. The same thing happens with my brothers Iphone 4, I don't think its a Droid specific problem.

Also I don't know if it was installing this OTA or what, but my battery in the notification bar is now inaccurate to what the settings say.

Upvote 0
It happens with a lot of phones when they have the flash on. The same thing happens with my brothers Iphone 4, I don't think its a Droid specific problem.

Also I don't know if it was installing this OTA or what, but my battery in the notification bar is now inaccurate to what the settings say.

I agree about the notification icon....it shows 100% when setting s show 90.....even still I get a full day now, where before I was lucky to make it till lunch

Upvote 0
Wow, that's an impressive battery stat that kishin posted. Mine on the stock firmware, unrooted, is pretty horrible. I posted in another thread that my battery drained from 100% to 50% in less than 2 hours and all I did was stream iheartradio and ESPN Score Center and my display was off for most of that time.

I think I'll do this firmware update hack when I return from vacation. I don't want to risk bricking my phone just before I leave.

Upvote 0
Wow, that's an impressive battery stat that kishin posted. Mine on the stock firmware, unrooted, is pretty horrible. I posted in another thread that my battery drained from 100% to 50% in less than 2 hours and all I did was stream iheartradio and ESPN Score Center and my display was off for most of that time.

I think I'll do this firmware update hack when I return from vacation. I don't want to risk bricking my phone just before I leave.

There's nothing to be scared of I assure you. Its as easy as 1-2-3. Give it a shot before you go on vacation and you won't regret it.

Upvote 0

Knitewulf is right. Just make sure you follow the instructions. If you're not rooted, the likelihood of bricking is about zero. If you are rooted but have not removed any bloat, bricking is also very unlikely. If you froze apps, just unfreeze them before applying. However, if you removed apps, you will need to replace them or the update will fail.

But as you may know by now, taking this update will jeopardize your ability to take the official OTA, which is expected to drop sometime at the end of the month or early October. Then again, there's also a good chance that the OTA may patch the current oneclick rooting exploit (at least according to dev/hacker P3Droid, whom I have a good deal of respect for). This could mean no way to root after applying the official drop. Fair warning either way. No regrets on applying for me. It's been nothing but a good experience.

Anyway, here are more recent pics, this time with a little more usage, including several more calls and watching the last 25 minutes of a 720p rip of True Grit:

CAP201109070754.png

CAP2011090707541.png

This is on the standard battery. Like I said, no regrets.

Reactions: beowulf7
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones