• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaked OTA: Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advise, Knitewulf (fellow wulf!) and kishin14. Where are the official instructions now that the original thread's initial post was deleted? I downloaded the file but not the instructions. I have not rooted my phone, but by the time you guys reply, I'll probably have left for my vacation. Even if the official patch prevents rooting, isn't it possible that someone will find a new way to re-root it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advise, Knitewulf (fellow wulf!) and kishin14. Where are the official instructions now that the original thread's initial post was deleted? I downloaded the file but not the instructions. I have not rooted my phone, but by the time you guys reply, I'll probably have left for my vacation. Even if the official patch prevents rooting, isn't it possible that someone will find a new way to re-root it?

1. Download it and place it on your phones sd card.
2. Turn off your phone and reboot it into recovery by pressing and holding the power button and x.
3. Once your at the screen with an Android and an exclamation point press down the volume up and volume down buttons at the same time.
4. Go to apply update via sd card(or something similar I don't remember exactly what it said, but you'll see what I mean).
5. Find the file you downloaded.
6. Click it and just wait for it to load itself.
7. Reboot phone and there you go!

I hope you haven't left for vacation yet :p, but if so just follow these directions when you return home or you could do it while on vacation if the file is already on your phone.

Upvote 0
I agree about the notification icon....it shows 100% when setting s show 90.....even still I get a full day now, where before I was lucky to make it till lunch

I have noticed this as well. It seems like after the update the first drop on the status bar battery indicator is at the 90% point on the graph. The second drop doesn't seem to come until the 60% point on the graph. I personally prefer it like this since it's more in line with what I was used to on my OG Droid.

I would also like to comment that my pictures most definitely DO NOT have a blue tint to them any longer. I was trying to post some links to pictures, but this is my first post, so it won't work. The difference is amazing though.

So glad I found this forum! Thanks everyone! I'm sure I could have just waited for the OTA, but the Cell Standby/battery and blue tint issues have just grated on me too long to wait.

Upvote 0
i put it on my SD unzipped and when i clicked on the file that had the patch and it just brought me in to the subfolder with al the other folders inside... i thought it was just supposed to start installing?? :thinking: maybe ill try not unzipping the file first.

Ah! that was it. gotta leave the file zipped.

EDIT:

ummmmm so i finished installing the update...and then I rebooted the device. upon bootup i went to settings to check the version that it applied correctly. the version of the update was correct. Then a window pops up on my phone saying ''an update for this device has been detected. press copy to download or later to install later''

im confused. i JUST installed the update and now its telling me to download the same update. maybe i got the real OTA?

eitherway i downloaded it and am installing it. *shrug* see what happens.

Upvote 0
What's the behavior of the backlights now, katoom? By "gone," do you mean that the lights remain on? That's what I'm hoping for, but some users want them to remain off.

Or do they just behave more in tune with ambient light conditions? That's good too. ;)

they come on with ambient light conditions and stay on as they should...before mine would come on, then shut off...back on...off...

They now work like you would expect them to. no more random reboots and battery is dramatically improved!

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
There is a way back to stock, it's on XDA. It's the equivalent of doing an SBF, but it's an update file instead.

Since applying this update, my cell standby has gone from 50%+ to 5% after a day of use. Standby battery life is at least tripled, if not more. The blue tint is also fixed. This is actually the official update for those that are leery about updating. The version numbers match up and someone was able to confirm it over on XDA.

Upvote 0
Since applying this update, my cell standby has gone from 50%+ to 5% after a day of use. Standby battery life is at least tripled, if not more. The blue tint is also fixed. This is actually the official update for those that are leery about updating. The version numbers match up and someone was able to confirm it over on XDA.

It makes Wi-Fi use A TON less battery as well! I've been keeping my Wi-Fi on at all times while I'm at home. It's sitting at 5% after 3 hours right now, which is awesome. This effectively turns my D3 into a "faster than 4G device" while I'm at home :)

Upvote 0
I wonder why the official firmware update hasn't been made available yet. :thinking: I may just say the heck w/ the official and go w/ the hacked version (which I guess is the same as the official version, according to aostang).

It's been a longer period of time than I expected, you might want to hold off "just in case" it's not the actual update at this point. I've heard on the Moto forums word that some D3s coming straight from Verizon now with the updated firmware. It's an odd situation altogether.

Upvote 0
It's been a longer period of time than I expected, you might want to hold off "just in case" it's not the actual update at this point. I've heard on the Moto forums word that some D3s coming straight from Verizon now with the updated firmware. It's an odd situation altogether.
Thanks. I just want to update the thread that when I checked last night, the OTA update was available from my phone. I ran the update this morning since my battery was down to 10% last night. I downloaded the 57.2 MB file via Wi-Fi and it took about 12 min. to install it, which is a couple min. more than the 10 min. it said it would take. I noticed a typo in the message where it said "upto" instead of "up to". Nothing big, but makes you wonder if an editor looked at their message. Finally, Swype defaulted to Spanish, so I changed it to English. I remember that bug from the leak, so apparently that wasn't fixed.

Upvote 0
Finally, Swype defaulted to Spanish, so I changed it to English. I remember that bug from the leak, so apparently that wasn't fixed.

Sure speaks to the usefulness of Motorola's testing, that... :p

Yes, you can change the Swype word completion system back to English, which is good, but if you figure out how to get the Swype Help system back to English, share, por favor. Otherwise, I'm learning me Spanish some (probably easier).

Glenn

Upvote 0
Now that the official OTA has been released, in the interest of continuity, let's talk about it in the (now renamed) old thread about it:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-3/412337-droid-3-ota-released.html

276415832.png

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones