• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The S8+ is basically the S8 scaled up a bit (a bit taller, a bit wider).

And yeah, this one was so comprehensively leaked that there was nothing that wasn't known already. They could at least have told us whether the "Bixby Button" can be repurposed (I'll bet it can't without root, but it would be nice if it could).

(Disclosure: I didn't even bother reading any live blogs, just read the summaries and thought "yup, I could have written that a week or two ago").

Upvote 0
Kinda ruined the unveiling today.

I don't get overly hyped up by new phone releases any more, but there was literally nothing about the S8 & S8+ we didn't know. The actual unveiling felt a little anti climactic.
I agree, but just imagine how iPhonies feel during most years of unveiling when there's nothing to unveil. They typically find out what was taken away from them.

I feel the S8 can be considered as a feature rich upgrade to replace my daughter's S5.

I'm surprised how dead this S8 subforum is leading up to today. It'll be interesting to see if members start to chime in with pre-order confirmations, showing willingness to fall on their swords should this release have issues. I for one will not even dare to pre-order. I had almost done so with the N7 and glad I decided not to at the last minute. I'm thinking to hold out for 3 months to see if this one bodes well.

Upvote 0
Kinda ruined the unveiling today.

I don't get overly hyped up by new phone releases any more, but there was literally nothing about the S8 & S8+ we didn't know. The actual unveiling felt a little anti climactic.

I think the S8 leaks were more like a waterfall this time around for Samsung. I would not put it past them that they were the source or the leaks, though. They needed to make some additional buzz after the Note debacle to stir up more anticipation and provide more info to keep others from upgrading to other devices before the S8 was released. Just my opinion...

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Hmm, arstechnica are reporting a launch price of £690 in the UK, and CPW seem to be offering it at that price. If so LG are going to have to drop the G6 price or offer some incentives: asking slightly more for a phone with an older processor, half the storage and a weaker brand, and which you can't even order yet in the UK, does not sound a strong strategy to me.

£690 is still pretty steep, but TBH I was expecting them to come in slightly higher.

Upvote 0
£690 is still pretty steep, but TBH I was expecting them to come in slightly higher.

It's much better than I was expecting.

I've not checked out other carriers, but EE are pretty expensive Their cheapest is £45.99 pm and £150.00 up front for the S8 (1GB data, unlimited everything else). The S8+ is £150 up front and £50.99 pm after that (2gb data though).

If you want that Dex thing with it, the prices start to become obscene.

Edit - I just checked Vodafone and they're much better. £30-£50 up front dependant on the model you want and £40-£47 pm with 24GB of data.

Upvote 0
I feel the S8 can be considered as a feature rich upgrade to replace my daughter's S5.

And my LG G4!

I'm surprised how dead this S8 subforum is leading up to today. It'll be interesting to see if members start to chime in with pre-order confirmations, showing willingness to fall on their swords should this release have issues. I for one will not even dare to pre-order. I had almost done so with the N7 and glad I decided not to at the last minute. I'm thinking to hold out for 3 months to see if this one bodes well.

Me too, I'm surprised given the amount of hype there's been.

I'm not pre-ordering (I haven't even decided if I'll upgrade now or wait to see what the rest of the year brings yet). I'm desperate to be shot of my current handset and given the lacklusture showings by LG & HTC so far this year, I was leaning towards the S8 but I definitely don't want to be an early adopter.

Reactions: SolApathy
Upvote 0
Yeah, S4 to S8 is a good upgrade, I would definitely make that jump. THere has been a lot of innovation in the past several years and it will be something you will truly enjoy.

Yeah I've been stuck on this bum s4 since it came out. and with my grandfather unlimited plan now thing of the past and a true unlimited , I can know jump on the 2 year deal with unlimited everything. haaaaaaaaa lol. I'll be so lost on the new phone.

Upvote 0
I love everything about the S8 except for...

-The Bixby button
-The removal of the physical home button

TBH I really wouldn't jump to the S8 if you have an S7 or an S6, It just seems and pointless to make the jump that early. I have an S7 now and I'll probably wait another year or 2 before jumping to the S8.

Upvote 0
Hmm, arstechnica are reporting a launch price of £690 in the UK, and CPW seem to be offering it at that price. If so LG are going to have to drop the G6 price or offer some incentives: asking slightly more for a phone with an older processor, half the storage and a weaker brand, and which you can't even order yet in the UK, does not sound a strong strategy to me.

I suspect some of that, like the odd extra £90, is due to Brexit and the sinking pound.

Upvote 0

Looks like I called one thing right: the G6 has now popped up for pre-order at Clove for £649 rather than the £699 that was being predicted.

(Not seen an official price from LG yet).

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I've not checked out other carriers, but EE are pretty expensive Their cheapest is £45.99 pm and £150.00 up front for the S8 (1GB data, unlimited everything else). The S8+ is £150 up front and £50.99 pm after that (2gb data though).
As usual you can get a better deal by not buying from EE themselves. CPW will give you 5GB on EE for the same £41/month + £150 upfront, or the for £46/month + £80 if you can't manage the up-front (but that works out more expensive overall). Or for £36/month + £200 they'll offer 2GB, or 7GB if you pay £220 upfront. And the handset won't be locked to EE and won't have EE messing with the firmware and delaying updates.

(There's no Vodafone reception indoors where I live, so they aren't an option for me).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones