• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

learned my lesson

boathead

Android Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
i bought a clone s4. didn't expect all that much as far as quality goes, but i at least expected to receive the display resolution and RAM advertised.

nope.

it is still a pretty cool device for the price i guess. i opened a dispute with paypal, though i doubt it will lead to anything.

i was warned, but couldn't resist. this is why i never have any spare money. lmao.:rolleyes:

i'll try to get some pics up later.

the cost was 180, and was supposed to be 2gb ram and 1280 display.

i will say for anyone who goes down this route to go thru paypal. because just a few hours ago i put in a claim, and i just agreed to a $30 refund. paypal is the bomb. i might have been able to do better, but i had no confidence that i'd win if i pushed too hard.

i have learned the antutu and a cpu checker somehow are fooled by the device. it shows an exynos octa. yea boi.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I got a cheap $60 Trio tablet that actually works well despite it being a cheap Chinese tablet, it has the usual low-ppi screen but is smooth and holds a decent charge, and can be used as a WiFi phone. they're not all bad, even though they shortcut screen quality among others. Download root checker. A lot of cheap phones and tablets are pre-rooted and make excellent guinea pigs for aspiring devs.

Upvote 0
i don't believe any of it. there is too much evidence that some sort of coding tricks the benchmark analyzers. i read on the antutu sit e that they are struggling with this themselves.... in other words these apps cannot be relied on to ferret out the truth.

i received no documentation, and quite frankly i have no idea what i have under the hood.

it handles plex and netflix well. speakers are ok. display is about the same as my gnexus. i don't do gaming...unless you count chess...which it handles without a stutter.:D

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Download root checker. A lot of cheap phones and tablets are pre-rooted and make excellent guinea pigs for aspiring devs.

mine was not pre-rooted. took me awhile to get it rooted. but i have a few apps that are struggling with it... link2sd for instance...i get the superuser request, but then the app hangs up indefinitely.

oh well. i have in fact learned my lesson. i sort of like knowing what i have, and quite frankly, i don't know what i have.

Upvote 0
the htc one would have pissed me off even more...cuz the bottom speaker is a dummy. haha.

anyway, this is what is written on the antutu site:

We have received multiple scores query of Chinese Pads, which including Ainol, Ramos. These products have been modified the scores on RAM and display any scores they want on AnTuTu Benchmark. The real score is only half of the score it displays. This behavior has severely impacted the accuracy of AnTuTu Benchmark. We hope all the dealers can query the test reports when test the performance of Chinese Android devices. Only by this way can such cheating behavior be terminated.

Upvote 0
Lol really true guys ;)
i have one question though mate.. if you were gona buy a cloned phone, why not get a good looking one like the Xperia Z or HTC One? Lol sorry samsung owners :p

Have you seen the Samsung fakes? They're so ugly that even me who actually kinda like the Samsung design actually abhors them.

Upvote 0
I know about Samsung S4 knock-offs. Yeh some are highly specced, some are absolute garbage. Never mind the Antutu numbers, I think there's a serious safety issue with them with the front glass. Friend of mine in the UK bought a Star S4. Front glass broke within weeks. It's not gorilla glass, it's ordinary window glass, and very thin as well. Which means these things can be potentially dangerous.

If you got KIRF S4, or any knock-off for that matter, put a screen protector on it, it might save you getting shards of broken glass in your face.

The KIRF Samsung I have myself is actually plastic on the front. Which means it's not dangerous, but is rather prone to scratching.

Upvote 0
one further thing that just occurred to me.

antutu came pre-installed on the device. as a system app. so i'm thinking of course they fiddled with it, and the test it ran was simply a video or something pre-installed.

so i deleted it with root uninstaller, but the device won't let me now download antutu from the play store.

so something is up for sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones