• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Learning Android coding

deltaforce

Android Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2012
Hello folks,

This is not a regular question. First of all, I am a geneticist, have absolutely zero experience with any kind of coding but interested in learning android coding. My son (age 4 years) has autism and as a father of a child with autism, I have a tons of ideas that could be capitalized upon. The glitch here is, we, as parents of children with disabilities, pay through our noses for the services the child needs so practically we are usually left with very little money for anything else to do in our life.

If you are a programmer, coding is your bread and butter so I can not ask anyone to code for free. The new apps arriving in the store are astronomically expensive that very few parents can afford (but many still buy a dollar burger for lunch for a week and buy for their children). I would like to break this barrier and if its possible that I could learn myself, I will code apps for my son and will distribute it for free to the community. (This situation is in the US, the conditions in developing countries are even worse.)

Hence, my question is, how difficult is it for a person like me to learn android coding? Are there any free community resources that I can use? (very respectful and understanding where a newbie is coming from. I have a VERY BAD experience of Ubuntu forums, hence still using windows)

Many thanks for all your input.

Learning to code with no prior experience isn't impossible, but requires a lot of time and dedication. Do you have the free time? You would need to read a couple of books first, do some practice with some general coding exercises and then start programming a real application. It would take months even you are willing to spend 4-5 hours per day.

There is an "Application Requests" here that you can ask for help. I believe that many community members will be willing to help you. You would need to describe your ideas. Most of us aren't familiar with the needs of an autistic child. I expect that many will be willing to help you for free.

Reactions: jonbonazza
Upvote 0
As mentioned above, when there is a cause such as this involved, it isn't unusual for seasoned coders to band together and help you out. Often times they will ask for permission to distribute it as an open source solution so that it remains free and cannot be easily competed against by other products. In the end, this approach is beast for you (given your above desires) as well as it ensures that there will ALWAYS be a free alternative to costly products available. Since most (dare I say none?) or us have any idea what an autistic learning app would entail, it would defintiely take some guidance from you to get us started, but I am sure there are enough people on the forum who would love to help out a cause such as this. I am not sure that I would have the time to be a heavy hitter on this project, but I certainly wouldn't mind helping out here and there if given access to the code repository. Go ahead and post a thread in the App Requests section that tells your story (it can be a repeat of this, or go into more detail, up to you) and make an earnest request for help. making it clear that it will be an open source effort with no desire for money will better bring people to the cause. I suppose the least I could do is set up a code base as a starting point and act as admin of the repository, granting, monitoring, and revoking contribution permsissions and such.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones