• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Leather pouch with magnetic closure OK for Droid X?

Cumby

Sep 19, 2010
I have been researching the different leather pouch cases out there for my Droid X. I like the ones with the magnetic closure flap. Im wondering if they are safe to use with my Droid. I read on a post where someone said the Verizon pouch they bought was velcro, and on another post, someone said the magnetic pouch cut their phone on whenever they put it in the case. Can anyone confirm if there would be any issues with using a magnetic case? Ive also noticed that many of the cases have the metal contact for the magnet exposed. Seems to me that this would potentially scratch the phone over time with pulling it out against the strap. I am looking for a horizontal case with a swivel belt clip that is roomy enough to fit the phone when it is in a thin silicone or plastic shell.

I work as a firefighter and a secure case was important. I am working on a review of the ripoff velcro pouch designed for the military , fire, ems, construction etc. Your phone won't fall out of this . Hope to have a review by the weekend. talking to the owner for some time on the phone on why the do a velcro closure(loud) over a magnet and the answer was security magnets aren't strong enough if your case goes upside down.

Upvote 0
I find the case to be nice and secure. Verizon has cheap leather cases for the other Droids where the sides are as thick as paper and easily ripped and worn. This one is thick secure leather, and the sides have thick leather as well as elastic. I have no fear that it will rip like the others. The bottom of the beltclip has a stainless steel cover to keep the leather area from prematurely wearing or the stitching from fraying. The flap is great also. It is also very thick, and they curved it inwards to the center so you can feel to grab it to open easily if you are lefty or righty. I haven't had any issues with it going into car mode or dock mode, I think the leather is thick enough where it isn't setting off the magnet. Try it in the store, if you see that the screen is on, ask for another case.

Upvote 0
I had no luck with dock blocker (would stop car dock from launching, but wouldn't keep my bluetooth/gps from turning on automatically).

Also no luck with DOCK NOTHINGNESS.

I found an app called 'NoDock' (root). Instead of changing what the phone does when it detects a magnet, it basically makes it stop detecting the magnet, so it's as if nothing's there at all.

Works like a champ!

Here's the post I put on DROIDFORUMS.net:

Is there an app or service I can disable or freeze to stop magnetic sensing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones