• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leave LG Optimus V for HTC Evo V?

jeffj318

Dec 23, 2011
Okay, boys (and girls) :D

I have the LG Optimus V and bought one for my wife some months back when Best Buy had them on sale half price off. We have never activated them for phone use and I use mine for internet, music, email, etc. My wife has used hers infrequently. We both have stayed with the dumb phones for now. My wife likes the screen using her long nails as a stylus as the screens are the old ones not using the pressure pad.

Anyway, I almost had mine on and decided to wait. For what, I do not know. Just waited. Now, I see the HTC Evo V 3d 4g is on Virgin Mobile. I said wow! Now it is time to sell the phones we have and get this superb phone with the much larger screen. My wife says "Forgetaboutit" too much money. I say ditch the home phone and go all cell with better phones and she would love playing Words with Friends on the new, larger and badder screen. (Not sure she is falling for this yet.)

Give me some hints to use so I can get the HTC and she will be happy, too, and get rid of the non-used LG Optimus phones. ;)

Thanks to all and to all a goodnight!

Jeff

IMHO, I would keep the Op V's if the phones are working like they should. If you just want something a bit different (and just better overall), then I recommend rooting both phones and trying out custom roms. Right now I have Android 4.04 Ice Cream Sandwich on my OpV and it's over clocked. I love it, and I very much enjoy the ability to change roms and check out new features and options that just aren't available with the stock OpV. Right now this keeps me from spending cash I could otherwise spend elsewhere. ;)

Upvote 0
Definitely going to switch over at some point. I'm not very happy with my OV and something tells me that it runs slowly because I'm trying to do more on it than it can handle (even with BACKside).

I'm going to wait until around Christmastime though. I have a hunch there's going to be a price drop, and for all we know, there will be even better phones on the VM line by then (considering they're adding the iPhone 4S, I wonder if the Galaxy Nexus or SIII is on its way as well).

Reactions: jeffj318
Upvote 0
I think the next big thing is always around the corner, so the waiting game becomes perpetual. The key is to buy in when that next thing is just much bigger a leap in progression than the previous big thing.

For example, let's say the Galaxy S II is the next big thing. If you waited for that, you sacrifice half a year to a year without a 4.3" dual-core phone (Evo V) just so you could finally get a 4.3" dual-core in the form of the GS2, which doesn't make much sense. However if you were coming from let's say the Optimus V from ages ago and waited and waited for the next big thing that is the Evo V and bought it, you did well, because prior to it there were no dual-core phones, so you didn't sacrifice anything.

So what i'm trying to say is the Evo V is a milestone in prepaid offerings not only for Virgin but prepaid in general, as it's a very big leap forward for prepaid phones (first 3D, first dual-core, first 4G on Virgin, just so many firsts). So if you happened to be waiting and waiting to make a move due to uncertainty now's the best time. However if you were never waiting and say never had enough money for a better phone then it's not irrational to wait until you have enuogh money one day and incidentally the Evo V's no longer the latest and greatest prepaid offering. But the point is if you were waiting and had enuogh money all along, this is the phone you were waiting for, so, what the hell are you waiting for?

Upvote 0
The Metro 2.5GB/mo 4G comes out to $58/mo after taxes and $5 4G fee, and having used their LTE in the past, it was only slightly faster than Sprint 3g.

Virgins 4G comes out to $35, 45 or 55/mo no taxes, 2GB/mo before throttle. I've only used Wimax on Sprint, but it was much, much, much faster than 3g. I don't know if Virgin throttle Wimax, but depending on that, it's either comparable or much faster than Metro LTE, and hands down cheaper.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones