• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Leave root or unroot?

lodom

Dec 1, 2009
When 4.3 came through I was rooted and it updated anyway, loosing root. A quick revisit to Wug's and was back in business. Why wouldn'tbe the same case with 4.4? Is there a lag time after an OTA update before an exploit is released.

Until I know for sure I think I'll let the updater loom in my upper left corner.

The current wugs will work with 4.4 if you lose root and don't know how (or can't be bothered) to re-root manually, so you can't really lose :)

I just updated my Nexus 7 to 4.4 manually (sick of waiting for the OTA) and of course lost root in the process, so rather than re-rooting manually I thought I'd see what wugs made of it purely so that I could answer questions like yours. It worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
You never need an exploit on a nexus device.

The option is really up to you. You'll be able to easily reroot one way or the other after the update

Hi, I've seen this mentioned numerous times in numerous places, in various ways (e.g. Nexus devices are always rootable), care to explain why this is the case, and if possible, why it isn't so for non-Nexus devices?

Upvote 0
Hi, I've seen this mentioned numerous times in numerous places, in various ways (e.g. Nexus devices are always rootable), care to explain why this is the case, and if possible, why it isn't so for non-Nexus devices?

Well for the non nexus devices the either carrier or OEM patches the exploit on the device that is being sold it's patch them the ui is added on top then the carrier bloat etc I think nexus devices are always rootable because Google promotes rooting/deving idk that's just a bit of a guess on my part (the nexus part)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones