1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Leaving iOS

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by GrumpyGourmet, Aug 13, 2014.

1. GrumpyGourmet

GrumpyGourmet Lurker

Hi, I'm new here.

I am getting extremely bored of the iOS system (been a user since iPhone 1). Although I love how smoothly it runs and how well it performs with my macbookpro, the layout, design, and all are just getting bland. Thinking of going Android when I'm up for a new phone in Sept/October. I'm excited to see what the iPhone 6 has to offer, but after hearing that the iOS would virtually be the same, I'm disappointed. I had the same itch a couple of years back and got the Galaxy S2. I lasted one month before I went back to iPhone. The android was so glitchy and slow and the music player sucked. But now that I see Android has come a long way, and iOS feels out of date, I think it might be time to jump ship again.

These are the apps I use the most: The usual social stuff (FB, twitter, IG), ESPN, BleacherReport, Final Fantasy, and Keynote Remote (to control my iPad presentations at work via bluetooth).

I'm a teacher and teach forensics. Any good apps that are there to assist teachers and enhance things? Being able to control my iPad (keynote) through bluetooth is pretty important to me.

Been watching a load of videos and see it comes down to Galaxy S5 (or prime if that comes out), LG G3, and HTC One M8. Especially loving the LG G3. I don't want any lag or anything like that, so what do you all recommend? Is there a G3 prime coming out?

Thanks in advanced for any help. I am still going to wait until the 6 comes out and see how it is, but as of now I'm 70% sure I'll be switching.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

So is the iPad hooked in to a projector?

You might be able to use Teamviewer as an alternative. It would use WiFi rather than BT though.

3. Dpadre

Dpadre Member

Hang in there, I too was just an Apple fan boy, but I love all the options to express myself with an Android device. I made the switch for the simple reason of a bigger screen. I know Apple is going to up its game and hopefully a bigger screen, but with all the Apple products you use, hang in there and stick with them. However, an Android phone in the pocket as a daily driver is simply nice. You can have both and you will find advantages in both. I too am looking for something new at the end of the year. I too have . . ."Been watching a load of videos" . . and see it comes down to Galaxy S5 (or prime if that comes out), LG G3, and HTC One M8. Especially loving the LG G3.

Those are exactly the phones I've been looking at. My decision will probably be the new Note 4. I already know the Samsung layout and I want the biggest screen with all the horse power and memory. I know how to manipulate them well to do what I want. I've thought long and hard about Rooting it and ditching all the bloat ware this next time.

Good luck on your choice. Apple is a strong product that just works, like an HTC one M8, but I really like to tweet and characterize my stuff so I am going to stay in the Samsung line, but buy the best they have to offer.

4. GrumpyGourmet

GrumpyGourmet Lurker

Thats why I'm waiting until the 6 hits the market to see it and fiddle with it before I make a decision.

I love the customization options of android. It just looks...fun. Not to mention the Android os looks good.

Any word of when the all the prime versions get released? Also, I've seen a lot of complaints about Samsung lately. But their screens look the best from what I've see at the best but test center.

My iPad is hooked up to a projector. I don't know if the school's wifi would allow me to connect to my ipad. I've just done bluetooth.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

OT.

I was looking into using an iPad as an alternative to using a laptop for teaching with a projector. I know iPads do have digital video out, but all our projectors are older ones with VGA analogue only. Do know if you can plug an iPad into VGA? Everyone here uses laptops, which have VGA out.

6. GrumpyGourmet

GrumpyGourmet Lurker

I connect the iPad to an older model (4-5 years) Eiki projector using the Apple VGA connector they sell for around $29. I've connected it to newer projectors and those older Eiki ones at my campus. I haven't encountered any problems yet.

mikedt likes this.
  7. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Another thought is you could upgrade to an Android and then just keep your old iphone sitting in your desk solely as a remote for your iPad.

8. Blackflag4

Blackflag4 Well-Known Member

I have heard so many good things about the G3. If I ever plan on switching, that would be my phone of choice . The specs, design, and all of the features LG has jammed into the G3 make it a great daily driver for anyone.

9. !on

!on Android Expert

Totally get you on how apple products work well together. iPod is my main music player with proper headphones whereas Android is my main music player for short, casual journeys with ear phones when I want to travel light.

It's good to have both for flexibility.

10. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

depends on the product. not the operating system. Samsung devices work as well together as Apple devices. same sync, same UI consistency and compatibility between different devices sharing different form factors.

expecting Android and Apple to talk to each other is akin to using a PC floppy disk in an Apple //e

11. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

Good choice to move to Android. I get what you mean. iOS does get a little bland.

12. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert

A more apt and less political analogy than I'd have chosen :p

13. Blackflag4

Blackflag4 Well-Known Member

Mobogenie Is an aftermarket app store, which you would need to enable installation of third party apps, and if something went wrong, you would be on your own.

If you plan to do this, it might be a good idea to get a decent antivirus program that scans an app before installation, and if something is found, gives you the option to delete before any damage can be done.

mikedt likes this.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

^^^^^
    I do concur with this.

Gamease Age Digital Technology Co., Ltd.
    East Tower, Jing Yan Building, No.29 Shijingshan Road,
    Shijingshan District,
    Beijing,

15. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Nexus 5, or wait for the new nexus. Never had any lag whatsoever with it like i have with previous Samsung's

16. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

I've never had lag with any of Samsung's TouchWiz devices. Not sure what you're doing wrong. The last time I had lag was with those cheap low end Straight talk prepaid phones. But then I strip the Google apps from Samsung products and use their app store so maybe it helps?

17. amirac

amirac Lurker

Funny, i just made a similar thread. We're almost in the same boat. Glad to see i can look around and see the opinion of others in similar situations.

18. James d Jones

James d Jones Lurker

I too have pondered the possibility of doing something similar to that. Will my old iPhone still function without a carrier? Can I still run apps by wifi?

19. James d Jones

James d Jones Lurker

I recently switched from iPhone 4s to Samsung Galaxy S5 for several reasons. Being a fisherman, I like the fact that it's water proof down to 3ft, and perhaps more importantly, it can be opened up & dried out, if necessary. I was also interested in a couple of apps that were not available for iOS. Such as XBMC and similar apps. However, I am now finding that a few of my favorite iOS apps are not available for android. These were really nice little apps that I had set up to my liking & I have been unable to find anything even close. Nothing exists that will allow me to import & run these apps, nor is it likely to happen. So can anyone offer any suggestion? Can I use an iPhone or any other iOS devise just to run these apps without a (verizon) carrier?

20. mikedt

mikedt 你好

iPod Touch, it's basically an iPhone but without the phone part, runs all iOS apps. Or iPad, if you want something bigger. iPod Touch is Wifi only, but you can WiFi tether it to your Samsung, if any of your iOS apps do need internet access. You can use an iPhone without a carrier as well with WiFi, but you'll be paying the full unsubsidized price for it.

#20 mikedt, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014