• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaving my phone charging at 100%

So, I keep my phone plugged into my computer when I get home and work at my desk. After it charges to 100%, I still leave it plugged in. Would this hurt the battery life at all? (HTC Inspire by the way)

From what I've read online, I've seen both positive and negative- so no definitive answer. Personally, I haven't noticed any issues with my battery life, and I do the same.

Upvote 0
Everything I've heard or read about batteries points to the fact that manufacturers know that people leave their phones plugged in when fully charged, don't discharge their batteries fully before recharging, etc. and have been steadily improving them to the point where these things aren't really much of an issue anymore. The only time I've ever caused my battery to fail early the past few years has been by using the wrong charger.

Upvote 0
No problem.

After it's at 100%, it runs off of the battery until it hits a set point, between 92 to 96%, and then starts charging again - even though it may show 99 to 100% charge when that's happening.

Depending on when you take it off charging, it takes a few minutes to show the real charge. This leads to the rumors that leaving the phone on the charger causes it to lose charge rapidly, but as you can see, that's not what is happening.

These things don't trickle charge at all.

What you're doing is no problem.

Upvote 0
No problem.

After it's at 100%, it runs off of the battery until it hits a set point, between 92 to 96%, and then starts charging again

A quasi-confirmation: when my phone is charging in the car with the radio on, the radio squeals like a pig. But when the charge hits 100%, the squealing stops -- I assume that means the charging stopped.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Some older/cheaper electronics are affected by this (I had an electric shaver where this practice completely destroyed the battery). However, I doubt it has much effect on modern cell phones. Think of it this way, you probably keep your laptop plugged in at all times, and nothing happens (well my battery actually died, :p but only after 2 years of use, which is pretty standard).

At the end of the day, one of the advantages of owning an Android phone is being able to replace your battery.

Upvote 0
My 20 month old Desire has been charged this way every night. Left plugged in for around 8-10 hours so a good proportion of this time it must be at 100%.

Has also used various kernels that claim to change the way that the 100% limit is reached - stock it used to show between 90% and 100% depending on when you unplugged it. Now I always get 100%.

I've not noticed any bettery deterioration over this time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones