1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Leaving the Android Army. Or how I learned to worry and hate MetroPCS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by leeuk321, Jun 29, 2011.

1. leeuk321

leeuk321 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    MODERATORS - PLEASE DON'T THROW THIS POST INTO THE 'UPDATE' FORUM. IT'S NO LONGER 'ABOUT' THE UPDATE.

Hey everyone, I posted here a week back about my Ascend constantly restarting after installing the 2.2.2 update. A lot of folks gave suggestions of reinstalling the update and such forth - which I'm grateful for - but ultimately nothing worked. Since then I went back to the store, which is a 1 hour total drive, and here are my adventures since...

- 2nd visit to MetroPCS (1st was to originally buy the phone) - The manager said that the update most have been installed wrong, so re-flashed it in-store saying it would clear the problem up. After an hour of getting home, it started restarting again. Decided to go back next day.

- 3rd visit to MetroPCS. Manager couldn't believe that didn't do the trick. He said that he didn't have a 'replacement' (i.e. refurbished) phone in store, so would have to order one in. I said that wasn't acceptable. He then rang a couple of local stores, of which didn't have any in either. I guess these Christmas-cracker phones are getting returned everywhere. I almost asked him to ring the dollar store to check their supply. He then said he'd exchange it for a new phone, so got a pre-updated one from the back (I'm assuming this was done in store). Got home and it started doing the exact same thing. Unbelievable.

- 4th visit to MetroPCS. Manager couldn't believe it. He didn't know what it could be, but just to be absolutely sure he replaced the battery & SIM card (I originally kept mine when I exchanged for new). Got home and big suprise (not really) - it started happening again. And again. And again...

- This time I rang MetroPCS. The manager said he had no idea what it could be. He said he'd ring a few stores then call me back. I told him before he rang some stores that at this point I was at the end of my tether. I'd had enough of the Ascend and wasn't being paid by MetroPCS to test them out, so why should I be doing it. I said I'd only accept a full refund or a free upgrade to the LG Optimus M, so didn't want him wasting his time ringing other stores. The manager nonetheless said he'd proceed to ring some stores to investigate the problem, so I assumed he wasn't entertaining the idea.

- The manager rang me back about an hour or two later, and left me a voicemail (he must have called during a restart). He said that none of the other stores had any idea about the problem. He said that he couldn't give me refund or exchange for another product. He said it was under warranty and could only exchange for another Ascend, of which he would have to order in to store (therefore not willing to give me another new one).

So this brings me back to where I am now. I think it's unbelievable that I've had to go through all this hassle, and they're almost acting as if I'm being difficult. The phone started messing up after about 10-14 days after purchasing it. Why should I have a refurbished product? I wouldn't even be willing to entertain a new replacement Ascend at this point, because I've lost all faith in the product, let alone a refurb.

I think the only route I'm left with is to stop my payments to MetroPCS and go with another provider. I'm not putting up with this shoddy customer service. I've had to drive up there an hour each time to try to sort this problem out. The deadly cocktail of MetroPCS-Huawei-Android was what made me so cautious about getting this phone in the first place, and all my fears became a reality. It's a shame because of another provider with another phone I might have had a wonderful experience with Android. I guess I'll never know.

I'm going over to Verizon and getting an iPhone. Yes, I hear everyone's screams at this point about the lack of versatility etc etc etc. But ya know what, the software and hardware is made for each other, and there's only 2 providers (of which there's provider-specific updates etc), so I can imagine it being a lot smoother than this ordeal. Before anything (apps, gizmos, games, whatever) the most important thing that I need is an easy life. That comes first. I imagine a lot of people have the same stance. What's the point in being in the Android Army when all you're doing is getting flack from the people (MetroPCS / Ascend) who are meant to be on your side of the trenches.

I'm sickened with the experience. Going to get a credit card refund and complain to the BBB.

Never again.

Advertisement

2. greyopaque

greyopaque Member
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    I have an Android Evo phone, and an iPad 2. If I had magical powers, I'd change this iPad into an Android in a split second.

3. leeuk321

leeuk321 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    If I had magical powers I'd turn MetroPCS and Huawei into a giant dog turd.

Oh no wait...

4. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Doesn't pay enough
    The Gate
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Nobody likes having a phone that doesn't just WORK. However, I do have a suggestion or two.

Since your phone worked fine (I assume) before the upgrade, and seems only to have had the problem on the 2.2 version (original and replacement phone), have you considered flashing a different ROM or MOD to see if that fixes the issue? I ran the Metro 2.2 with PlayfulMod flashed on top of it for a couple weeks, and I didn't encounter a single problem. Alternately, there are the CM6 and CM7 ROMs, which are also great.

I do realize that you may not want to deal with flashing a recovery and then flashing a ROM, but it is a valid step in determining whether it is JUST the official MetroPCS 2.2 that causes the problem.

The other step I would recommend is calling Metro's corp headquarters and making a complaint at that level, rather than to a store manager, whose job is to give away as little as possible.

214-265-2550
    214-570-5800

MetroPCS Communications Inc.
    2250 Lakeside Boulevard
    Richardson , TX 75082-4304

MetroPCS Wireless, Inc.
    PO Box 601119
    Dallas, TX 75360

The corp office phone numbers are not listed on the website, so these numbers were found on complaint websites. It's worth a shot, since corp has the power to get things done, if they want to.

twizzysolo, leeuk321 and KOLIO like this.
  5. RobotGo

RobotGo Newbie
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    User Error? ;)

6. Taterhater88er

Taterhater88er Well-Known Member
    None

May 22, 2011
    That really does suck and I really feel sorry for you. I'm through Cricket and while the phone quality isn't great the affordability is nice. There is no Metro where I live so I'd never even heard of it before I got on here.

At any rate, I don't think you should give up on Android just because you had a bad experience with a lower-end phone. It all comes down a personal preference in the end, but you can make Android work for you rather than being forced to succumb to Apple's whims.

I just think you aren't giving Android as an OS a fair chance. But it isn't my place to tell you what to think. That's Apple's job. Cheers mate.

KOLIO likes this.
  7. intrdrgn

intrdrgn Android Expert
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    Male
    Distribution
    Brandon, Florida
    4th visit to MetroPCS. Manager couldn't believe it. He didn't know what it could be, but just to be absolutely sure he replaced the battery & SIM card (I originally kept mine when I exchanged for new)

our Ascend dont have a sim card, or does it?

8. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Something similar,but,it's internal & I'm fairly confident that wasn't replaced.

More likely it was the SDcard that was replaced.

I'm 100% positive anyone here w/a month of ASCEND TIME on their resume' would have that phone up & running in about 20 minutes or less.

9. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State

sim card? wth...no our ascens doesnt have sim card.

DMajor239 likes this.
  10. leeuk321

leeuk321 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for everyone's replies. To everyone questioning the 'SIM Card' part of my post, I apologize - that was a simple typo and meant to be 'SD Card' (micro). BlastGT1 - I've thought about installing a different ROM but then I'd void the warranty, and wouldn't have a leg to stand on. And besides, that should be a choice, not a necessity. It should work out of the box and with official updates.

I'll be sure to give corporate a call today. I did call the MetroPCS customer service number, first speaking to a lady called Claudia (nice but no power), then to her supervisor called Jonathan (no help, sounded like he was in long need of a nap) and then to 'the manager' (you have to just take their word for it eh) who was called Gabriel (ID 7813).

Gabriel was extremely unhelpful and arrogant. He just kept saying 'well as per the terms and conditions that you did indeed sign sir' not caring that I'd driven up to the store on countless occasions. He didn't even give me anything that remotely resembled an apology. At one point I explained to him that because of this service I'm going to stop my payments to MetroPCS ($52 a month) and tell everyone I ever meet for the rest of my life on this planet to never, ever go to MetroPCS. Silence. I asked him if he was still there. 'Yes' he simply said. I asked him why he didn't respond and he said 'I've said all I've got to say on the matter'. This is what I've been dealing with.

I then rung Huawei customer service, and spoke to a chap there called Daniel. He was pleasant enough but said that MetroPCS deals with the warranties and repairs (it's subcontracted to them because Hauwei is Chinese I guess?). That was interesting because the reason for the main run-around I'd been given by MetroPCS was because they said 'It's a manufacturer warranty and therefore has to be like-for-like'. Bollocks. It's with MetroPCS and therefore they could have swapped it for an LG Optimus M with ease. I'd have even been willing to pay the difference. But this is how MetroPCS treats their customers.

Anyway back to the chap from Hauwei. I asked him if he thought it was reasonable that I go through all the hassle that I've been through. He apologized for it but said there was nothing that could be done. I asked him how many phones / trips I should have to go through before it becomes 'unreasonable'. He said 10. I couldn't believe it. I should have to go up and down from Merrimack to Manchester NH (1hr round trip) like a yoyo 10 more times before they deem it as being unreasonable. I said it's no surprise that they didn't put that on their marketing strategy.

I asked to speak to the manager from Hauwei but he said that the two top guys from the customer service dept (Alex and Jason) were in a conference call at the moment with the VP of operations at headquarters. He said someone would call me back in an hour. I'm still waiting for that call.

So here I am. I did call the manager back at the Manchester store (Marc) who said that he'd spoken to Brian Conway, the regional manager (New England) of MetroPCS, and said that he'd put his foot down on the matter and therefore his hands were tied. Marc has always been nice to deal with, and seems like he's had to follow strict, disgusting corporate policy. Either that or he's simply a stickler for the rules who's not willing to bend them to sympathize with a situation and keep a customer.

It seems like Huawei and MetroPCS act like a couple of bandits, running a small town without a sheriff, simply after the quick buck. Get the gold and run. Not interested in life-long relationships or reputations. Every person I've spoken to about this matter I've asked 'do you not care that because of this you're going to be losing my $52 a month, I'm going to tell everyone I know not to go with you, and that I'm going to complain officially to the BBB?' All I've got back is a mouthful of t&c gobbledygook.

I guess no-one from Huawei or MetroPCS gives a damn. Well at least I found out earlier rather than later.

11. stamper

stamper Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    Exec Chef
    Duluth, GA
    LEEUK,
    You are correct, if you flash a ROM that is not from Metro you will void your warranty.
    Saying that, did you know that there is a way to flash your phone back to the original 2.1 Android OS that came on your phone and the Metro people would be none the wiser.

So, if you want to try CM6 / CM7 or any of the other ROM's that are out there, go ahead, you can always go back to a non-rooted base factory load if you want to sell the phone or IF Metro actually gets back with you and says they will replace the phone again.

I say ENJOY the world of ROOTED ROM's and have some fun on your Android Ascend.

leeuk321 likes this.
  12. newbytodroid

newbytodroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    Florida

Okay where do I begin? Okay I will start with your problems with Metro, I do apologize that your having these issues and it is total BS. However kind sir please take into consideration that your true dissappointment comes from the provider, not the phone. Maybe you received a bad phone and yes they should give you a new one not a refurbished one. However please dont let this experience ruin the Android os for you, as it is a wonderful os. You do have other options, if you do switch to Verizon they have some kick ass Androids that im sure you would enjoy much more than an apple Iphone (just a thought). The other option if you dont like contracts is to maybe consider Boost mobile (I did, and I love it!) they have a nifty little android phone called the Galaxy prevail. It is much better than the Ascend (though I still love my Ascend, and the community support) You will also pick up true 3g data speeds with Boost and its the same price $50/mo with a $5 deduction every 6 mos. you pay on time. I have not had a single problem with this phone or the service as it runs off of sprints cdma network. I am only offering my 2 cents because I truly believe that the Android O.s is the best there is (its open source, no limitation) and I would hate to see someone miss out on that experience.I truly hope you give android another chance, and I also hope I was somewhat helpful to you. I know I cant solve the Metro issue (nobody can) but I do hope I gave you a little insight on the joy of Android. For what its worth just google the galaxy prevail and boost mobile, you may like it!!:D:D GoodLuck!!!

leeuk321 likes this.
  13. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State
    metro warranty sucks anyway, but they wouldnt know if you root/flash your phone if it hit them in the face, aand this device is un brickable...

14. leeuk321

leeuk321 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
  15. Treydude

Treydude Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Austin Texas

You can undo ANYTHING you do to the phone..

16. leeuk321

leeuk321 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    stamper - Well at this point I don't think I'd have any need for the phone, having decided to abandon MetroPCS. But just to entertain the idea, if I did root the phone then would it be sell-able? Or would it prevent someone else taking it to a store to sign up with it or whatever?

newbytodroid - thanks for your post. It's a shame that this has tarnished my experience with android. The big thing I was afraid of before I went to MetroPCS is that it's a hit-or-miss combination between carrier-phone-OS. iPhone users have always shouted about 'compatibility issues' with android devices (i.e. the Android OS / updates are not tailored for each device), but I dismissed them as just irrational chants by fanboy fear-mongers. But what do you do it actually happens? Their warnings actually happen? Your phone messes up twice in a row and neither carrier or manufacturer have any idea or take responsibility (proper responsibility)?

I did originally consider Boost but their lack of coverage in western america (we're heading to California soon) put me off. MetroPCS seemed like the only prepaid carrier to actually have decent coverage. So I think Verizon looks like the no-brainer option. The iPhone appeals to be because:

1) it's not an Android. Yes I know that Android does have a lot more freedom & potential, but at least for another 6 months or whatever I don't want to roll the compatibility dice.
    2) for contract phones, they seem to be best value. It's a $199 phone with a $650 retail price. Obviously I know that Apple bloats their retail price tag, but at the end of the day the price is the price. If I want to sell my phone on ebay in 4 months and upgrade (maybe to an Android) I can say with confidence that I'll get more money back than any $199 (contract price) Android phone I'd buy today. I've even seen some Android phones like the LG Revolution with a $249 contact price and $559 retail price. That's a $310 difference (less than the $350 Verizon buy-out cost) as opposed to the iPhone's $450 difference.
    3) I like a phone that's slim and light, like the Ascend. There's no point in having a fancy phone if it's too big to fit nicely in your pocket eh. If I'm to purchase a phone that's around $550-$600 (contract price + buyout price = true price), I'd like it to be light & slim plus have the bells & whistles (amazing photo, video etc). I can't find an Android that meets that criteria.

But that's not to say that I'll never get an Android again. Before I went to MetroPCS I read up about the OS and I truly believed in it. I've just got stung by my first experience...so I have to go onto contract...and I don't want a clunky device...and I don't want my phone value to plummet in 6 months...which leaves me with the iPhone. I've been put in a corner, so it seems like the only option. I'm looking at it more as an investment.

I'm 90% decided on it now, so I think that's what I'm going to do and then review the market in 6 months. By then I think I'll be ready to give Android another shot, so hopefully there'll be a slim & light device out on the Android market by then. I'll definitely be looking to move over if Apple implements their rumored patent for shutting off your camera at concerts / events. I mean - if you spent a few hundred dollars going to a music festival for the weekend with a bunch of friends, and couldn't photograph the occasion, you'd be pretty damn pissed eh?! But I'm going off-topic a bit here...

The most important thing to note is that MetroPCS is the worst provider on earth. Before people start saying that they've had no problems with them - that's probably because you haven't had a problem yet. It's no good a provider being great when things are going rosy, they also need to be great when the shit hits the fan and things start ****ing up. They need to recognize that a relationship isn't just about quoting what the customer has signed in the contract. They don't care about customers being happy. They don't care about customers actually remaining customers. They just care about gloating that you are bound to the terms are conditions.

Well, here are my terms - I'm off to Verizon!

17. leeuk321

leeuk321 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    What I mean is - would it good selling point (i.e. a buyer gets an Ascend without the bloatware, faster, etc) or would it be a bad selling point (if the buyer had to mess around resetting it to factory settings in order to use it with a new MetroPCS number)?

18. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Doesn't pay enough
    The Gate
    I can't say that I know exactly what is involved in changing phone numbers, but my best guess says they don't have to have the phone in stock condition to change it. Calling *228 gives activation/transfer as an option.

As to the value of the phone rooted or with a custom ROM, it would definitely be worth more when you point out how badly it performs in its stock state. I've shown my Ascend to several other Ascend owners i know, and they all want me to drop a ROM on theirs after playing with mine. Honestly, it's not all the phone's fault as far as performance, it's also the bloat and the crappy stock launcher. Running with 256MB RAM and a 600Mhz CPU, no GPU, and a bloated stock ROM make for a bad combination, not to mention your experience with MetroPCS, which sours your experience with the phone itself even more.

I wish you luck with your iPhone and your contract, and if you go back to an Android phone in the future, I'm sure you'll find it more enjoyable with a more powerful phone.

leeuk321 likes this.
  19. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    to port a # over you have to call your provider, then its all done by calling *228. Tho I changed the # on my phone itself myself on my DX by dialing ##PROGRAM, but that doesnt seem to work on the ascend lol

KOLIO and leeuk321 like this.
  20. leeuk321

leeuk321 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks guys, and that does sound tempting, I'll definitely keep it in mind. For now, I've started proceedings to get my money refunded and also filed a complaint with the BBB. Let's see what happens, I'll keep everyone updated.

KOLIO likes this.
  21. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State
    hope all works out for you!!!;)

22. xtreemgreen

xtreemgreen Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    Propane/Lawn Care
    New Port Richey,Fla
    Isnt that why most people come here? Interested in seeing what there phone can do? Root there phone, Rom there phone... Give your ascend a chance, Root then pick a rom and install it..CM7 is awesome on this little droid.. I had my stock 2.1 on mine for a few hours until I installed icarus.. That lasted a day or 2.. then went to Cm6..CM6 was cool, but Im the type that wants the latest and greatest.. So 2 days later Im on CM7...OC'd to 748 and runs like a champ..

So at least give it a shot.. For shits and giggles and its fun...

23. shutterpoet

shutterpoet Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Keeping up with my 11yr old son.
    Tucson, AZ still Wild Wild West
    Ditto: First Android anything. Out the box I didn't even know how to touch it. (sad but true) Within a month or two I was rooted, and hooked on AF (thank all of you). I'm still on CM7 0514 @ 748 + dt's ap2sd. Works so well I haven't tried any of the newer stuff. Just a happy camper - give it a shot.

spyder likes this.
  24. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh, PA
    WOW. Just got a wierd..."how 'bout that" when I read this. I have had 4-5 ROMS on my phone since the 0514....But recently I had a small problem and wanted to flash something new on there. Well I've always just kept with the latest.....

THIS TIME: I went back to 0514, 748MHz Kernel flash, DT a2sd. LOL..EXACTLY what you have. My Benchmark #'s are higher than I ever have had with ANY ROM (I use Antutu Benchmark).

So, that's just shows me I didn't just randomly like it but there was some truth to my thinking that this was one of the best. There are still the small glitches on this build (The USB mounting thing, but I have NO PROBLEMS, with anyting).

Before long, we will have a nice new one I'm confident, now that PlayfulGod had grabbed the reins, his rom was really good. But I just wanted that 748 support, etc....

OK..SORRY FOR THE OFF TOPIC (sorry to the OP):

Back on: First, I am with Cricket, so I cannot relate 100%

Justa couple things: No Matter What: This phone can be put back to stock "out of the box" in about 15 minutes. NO MATTER WHAT.

Some phones like alot of Motorola ones, have actual Hardware blocks in their kernel, to avoid messing, so you can literately "BRICK" the phone on the hardware side, no coming back from that. My Bro has the Droid X...AWESOME phone, but yea, you can't mess with the Kernel too much some sort of harware block.

The Ascend-I don't care what you do, you can get it back to store bought position in no time.

I will say: My local Cricket store, WILL NOT let you leave without you being happy. They would get you a phone and mess with that ROM till you are happy. I you choose to come back for it , on you, but they will NOT GIVE UP ON YOU...EVER...I had an issue w/ my last phone, (Not a smart phone but major problems, took them 2 hours, but they had it fixed. told me ahead of time, they would get me a new one if this didn't work out.

One last thing:

First to put in perspective: THIS IS ALL RUMOR + Second hand Rumor at that, so please give NO credence AT ALL.... But the mgr. down at my Cricket store said he had heard (the second hand part...LOL), that Metro was under financial Probs....and rumors of Buyout were flying around??

Now he never said he heard Cricket would swallow them up, but it was just an off the cuff thing.....Personally I would LOVE to see Cricket buy out as then Cricket would get their 4G stuff, which they have none.

My only complaint w/ cricket, they suck at getting info out, and updates too. I didn't even know Metro had a 2.2 for Ascend till I read this, I don't think Cricket even does, although we have been promised one forever. They suck at that, but no matter to me now, as I am sticking to CM7 regardless.

My only other thinking right now....I REALLY WANT That Nexus S (comes w/ full blown Gingerbread, you see how Vanilla CM7 really is!!!), but it's only on Spring and T-Mobile, I was considering getting one off contract, and having it flashed to Cricket??

I don't know enough of the process. SOME people that do it use custom ROMS to get all the Cricket Stuff on, At my local store they don't, it will keep the ROM I get w/ it. BUT then I was also warned, if I flash a ROM or something, I may lose the Cricket stuff?? In that case the store said they would redo it for me, but knowing me, that would be weekly...LOL..ONLY prob. I don't like. NO SD Card, just 16 Gig in the phone, that's it, But ONLY phone to come with Gingerbread. Awesome...Anyway.

Sorry I wavered from topic a bit....BUT MY BOTTOM LINE: Don't come down on the OS due to how you are treated by these !#@@Holes

IS CRICKET strong in your area??? They would flash that right over in 5 min, and you go to them without having to buy a new phone, etc.

Just a thought....

Anyway, good luck...
    Spyder5157