• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaving Verizon, what are my best options?

GNS1310

Apr 11, 2010
My contracts up in late December, and I'm leaving Verizon and they're $100/month bill.

I work a lot and don't use my phone nearly as much as I used to. I'm 38, so I don't 'live' on my phone like I see the kids doing these days.

Just saw a commercial for Straight Talk, looked on their site and see a $30/month plan 1,000 mins, 1000 texts etc, 30MB web (I pretty much only use my WiFi) I'm thinking it might be enough for me.

I didn't see any HTC phones...my first smartphone was the Incredible, and then I went to the Rezound, which I've had for 2+ years. Was hoping to find some sort of deal on the HTC One. I definitely need a new phone, these things certainly don't last nearly 2+ years.

I was also looking into other carriers, T-Moblie for instance, that have the new 6 month upgrades, and they also carry the One...but they only have 2G in my area..but I'm on my WiFi most of the time...

I have a month to figure things out, just decided to pop in here and get some help. I want to make the right choice and not have the burden of that $100/month to pay!

Thanks for any help

Hey there I have moved this thread to the Device/Carrier Comparisons forum since you are comparing what your options in carriers are. Hope this helps, if not PM me :)

---------------------------

Straight Talk has good plans, so does T-Mobile with some of there cheap plans, I would suggest choosing one of those two carriers especially with what I am seeing as in your needs.

Upvote 0
Since you basically only use WiFi for data, check out Republic Wireless. They offer the Moto X for $299 (no contract) and a $10/mo plan that offers unlimited talk and text. You use WiFi for your data needs. If you find yourself needing data while on the road (example: vacation), you can change your plan up to twice a month... the next level up is $25/mo for 5GB of 3G speed or $40/mo for 5GB of 4G LTE speed... both still include unlimited talk and text. Then when back from your trip, change back to the $10/mo plan.

It runs on Sprint and roams on Verizon (no extra charge, but does have a 100MB data limit on roam).

Upvote 0
Another cheap carrier for minutes and texts is Ting - you get charged based on how much use use each month, and they don't charge you for any data if you only use WiFi.

$20 gets you 500 minutes and 1,000 texts, and they have free voice roaming on Verizon. If they turn out to be the best option for you the link in my signature will save you some cash. Ting has the HTC One on their site, and many other phones.

Upvote 0
Excellent help.
I think I like the $30 deal from T-Mobile. Only have 2G around here, but like i said, I'm on WiFi most of the time.
Few more questions....
Should I go through the T-Mobiles site for service, through Walmart...other options?

How can I get myself an HTC One without paying an arm and a leg for it?

Can I get the "Jump" upgrades with this plan?

Again, thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Excellent help.
I think I like the $30 deal from T-Mobile. Only have 2G around here, but like i said, I'm on WiFi most of the time.
Few more questions....
Should I go through the T-Mobiles site for service, through Walmart...other options?

How can I get myself an HTC One without paying an arm and a leg for it?

Can I get the "Jump" upgrades with this plan?

Again, thanks for the help

The $30 dollar plan is a prepaid plan, which means you have to have your own device before you start the plan. There's no Jump program, and anytime you want a phone you have to buy it at full retail. T-Mobile only allows their Jump program on their postpaid plans which start at 50 dollars a month for the plan and go up to 70 dollars at which point you get unlimited data without throttling.

Upvote 0
If your tired of the $100/month bill, then your'l want to go the prepaid route. So forget about AT&T or sprint as you'll be paying about the same.

Even T-mobile with the jump program, you'll still be looking at $100/month. Base plan $60 2.5 GB data plus say $25 month phone payment Plus $10 for jump. That's $95, not including tax. However you'd be able to get a new phone every 6 months if you want.

Prepaid is obviously cheaper. t-mobile $30 plan is very good especially if you don't talk much on your phone. Straight talk and many other prepaid options available, just check around.

Of course you'll be losing the best network, coverage wise when you leave Verizon. Take that into consideration too.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I rarely talk on the phone and use up WiFi as much as I can. Going for the $30 for sure, just trying to figure out what to do phone-wise...my Rezound works okay, but lets face facts, these phones barely last a couple years and I've had it 2+.
I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for any 'black friday' phone sales for sure.

Upvote 0
I must be blind i didn't see this til now . But can i ask why are you leaving Verizon. They are in first place for best service as prepaid and contract . Straight talk os the second place. Tmobile metropcs falls last . But they say contract is the problem skip the small print and hit the prepaid . They say prepaid is better and saves you more .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones