• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LED Notification Light Discussion Thread

Looks like an interesting App for controlling your LED notifications. Try it out and report your findings!

Light Flow - LED Control

For anybody using Light Flow - LED Control, can someone confirm if I can set the LED to do the following:

- solid light while charging
- different color solid light when fully charged.

That's really all I want to do. The other notifications aren't as important to me, but this one is important.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
For anybody using Light Flow - LED Control, can someone confirm if I can set the LED to do the following:

- solid light while charging
- different color solid light when fully charged.

That's really all I want to do. The other notifications aren't as important to me, but this one is important.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Drex,

You can choose one color for a charging battery, and different color for a charged (full) battery. See below!

Mlm81.png

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
I'm thinking this is going to be a Handcent issue they will have to resolve. But just in case its my phone. Does anyone else using Handcent have this issue? No LED notification on received text or while testing in any color.

I also use Handcent SMS on my Photon and have no issues with seeing LED notifications for text messages. Works just fine. Maybe you've done something to the notification settings of either the Photon, the default Messaging app or Handsent?

Upvote 0
Thanks, but can you confirm that it actually works? When I tried it, it didn't do anything. The LED didn't stay lit...LOL.

Hey Drex,

I got atleast the charging LED to work. Here are my Settings:

General Settings:
- Enable Light Flow (obviously)
- LED flash rate: Always on
- Notifcation - Charging - Priority Only

Notifications
- Enable Notification
- Clear Notification Style - Manual
- Enable Light - Priority 1 (highest) ...you could probably change the priority for your different notifications...like maybe the charged battery is higher and then charging is at #2
- Light Duration - Do not auto switchoff

Give it a go!

Best,
K

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Hey Drex,

I got atleast the charging LED to work. Here are my Settings:

General Settings:
- Enable Light Flow (obviously)
- LED flash rate: Always on
- Notifcation - Charging - Priority Only

Notifications
- Enable Notification
- Clear Notification Style - Manual
- Enable Light - Priority 1 (highest) ...you could probably change the priority for your different notifications...like maybe the charged battery is higher and then charging is at #2
- Light Duration - Do not auto switchoff

Give it a go!

Best,
K

Awesome! Thanks so much. I'm gonna give it a go this afternoon.

The only other thing I read about on the app was that this takes over the LED notifications entirely, so I'll probably have to take a little time to make sure that all the current settings I have set, I actually translate those over to my phone.

Nontheless, really appreciate confirmation on the charging part!

-EDIT-
Still doesn't seem to work for me. Set all the settings needed, but the LED light isn't lighting up if the phone is on or off, while charging. Set all the settings exactly the same as you mentioned.

Upvote 0
Awesome! Thanks so much. I'm gonna give it a go this afternoon.

The only other thing I read about on the app was that this takes over the LED notifications entirely, so I'll probably have to take a little time to make sure that all the current settings I have set, I actually translate those over to my phone.

Nontheless, really appreciate confirmation on the charging part!

-EDIT-
Still doesn't seem to work for me. Set all the settings needed, but the LED light isn't lighting up if the phone is on or off, while charging. Set all the settings exactly the same as you mentioned.

That's really weird.

1) Plug your phone in to charge and Try the Test Notification. Turn the screen off using the power button. I've noticed that it does flicker for a sec and turns off. If the light goes on and off, that's what I experienced.

2) Unplug your phone from the AC, make sure all LF notifications are cleared and then plug your phone in again. Turn the screen off using power button. It seemed to work for me this way.

Upvote 0
That's really weird.

1) Plug your phone in to charge and Try the Test Notification. Turn the screen off using the power button. I've noticed that it does flicker for a sec and turns off. If the light goes on and off, that's what I experienced.

2) Unplug your phone from the AC, make sure all LF notifications are cleared and then plug your phone in again. Turn the screen off using power button. It seemed to work for me this way.

So, it only works when the phone is on standby? Or do you mean completely powered off?

Upvote 0
Okay, so it doesn't work when screen is on? That was my main thing. I tried it in standby and it didn't work, but I'll download the app again and continue to try. Maybe I need to power cycle the phone to get it to work.

I think it won't work when the screen is on because the status bar might conflict with that LED notification. I mean, why would you need both right? But I see what you're saying. I'm really not sure what could be the issue. Try wiping the cache and rebooting and reinstalling the app.

Best,
K

Upvote 0
I think it won't work when the screen is on because the status bar might conflict with that LED notification. I mean, why would you need both right? But I see what you're saying. I'm really not sure what could be the issue. Try wiping the cache and rebooting and reinstalling the app.

Best,
K

Hahaha...Okay, I figured it out. It's because there are certain colors that don't work with Motorola phones and the ones I was using (sky blue and purple) don't work...LOL.

Thanks again for sharing the settings. It works and will probably be usable for me in different instances when i don't need the phone on.

Part of the reason that I want it to be able to work while the phone is on is because I use a desk clock app. There's a battery percentage indicator on it, but it's not completely accurate, so I was hoping the LED could provide me a more accurate reading when I'm charging while using the desk clock app.

Nontheless, it is working for me now.

Upvote 0
Ok so I sat down with my photon yesterday really tested out the LED notification light feature. I can honestly say to the best of my knowledgr all my notifovations work like they were meant to. So with that being said there are at least 5 colors on the photon. I jut discovered the last one yesterday while conducting this test lol. So here are my results from yesterday. Please read carefully.

The colors are red, green, blue, orange, and pink. Some may see the orange as white or erhaps yellow, and the pink as perhaps white.

CHARGING: all LED NOTES were with the phone powered off and a wall charger, no usb.

Plug in charger: LED NOTE solid green for a couple seconds indicating the charger is working properly.

Phone charge at 5%: LED NOTE solid red

Phone charge at 10%-80%: LED NOTE solid orange

Phone charge at 90%-100%: LED NOTE solid green

ALL LED NOTES WERE WITH THE POWER ON BUT THE SCREEN OFF

Low battery 10% or lower: LED NOTE flashing red...this actully is the only LED tht notifies u with the screen on s well

Missed messages, texts: LED NOTE flashing green

Missed IM: LED NOTE flashing blue

The last one I just discovered yesterday. When you ower on your phone keep an eye on the LED when your homepage. While it loading the SD card and other things the LED NOTE will flash pink a couple times, but blink and you will miss it.

Hope this helps with a few of your issues guys, and if anyone would like me to try another way to get an LED NOTE, just let me know.

Upvote 0
Wanted to report another slight bug with this app (and it has to be this app because I haven't installed any others that would have made a difference).

I noticed that with this app on the phone and functioning, it causes a "slight" delay bringing up the CAR DOCK mode on the phone, when using the Motorola Car Dock. It's not a big deal to me because I really don't use that thing at all, but just wanted to let people know that this app somehow affects the car dock loading immediately, once the phone is docked.

Upvote 0
I can now confirm six colors for led notication...

Previously had....green, red, orange, pink, blue...and I can now confirm purple

If u get an IM in skype the light flashes blue...in yahoo it flashes purple

Also note...if u have the window open the message appears in...when the screen turns off u wont get a notification light...if somone sends a message

Upvote 0
The notification light on my phone has been constantly blinking green...I have no new emails or texts. Has anyone had this issue?

I did a battery pull but it started again once the phone restarted. Suggestions?

I noticed this happens rarely to me...but it never happened until I installed juice defender...so its possible an app is causing this

Upvote 0
I can report that this app works on the Photon 4G, in fact it works very well. :D

But you have to be rooted, and the leds only work when the display is off.

Tested the following colors
Yellow = Missed call
Calendar reminder = Orange
Email = Lime
Enhanced Email = Bright pink
InoMail = Cyan
K9 = Not tested
MailDroid = Not tested
Moxier mail = not tested
Yahoo mail = Blue
SMS = Magenta
MMS = White
Gmail = Green
Low Battery = Red
Bluetooth On = Blue
Charged Battery = Not Tested
Charging Battery = Not tested
Google Talk = Yellow
Ebay = not tested

Colors available are Blue, Bright Pink, Cyan Deep Orange, Gold, Green, Indigo,
Red, Green, Purple, Lilac, Magenta, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, Sky Blue, Turquoise, White and Yellow.
The app was able to know that the phone was a Motorola device and gave a compatibility message stating...

Notes:
1-The SMS led notification includes support for Handcent, Chomp, Go SMS and SMS popup.
2-You can also give a led notification to any contact from your contact list.
3-You can set the led flash speed from very slow up to always on.
4-There is a Wimax control as well but its not enabled for some reason (maybe the paid version enables it)
5-There is a setting that allows you to put all notifications to sleep at a certain time of day (or night)
6-Also a setting to switch it off when in charge mode.
7-Other settings for
-Allows you to test all colors,
- back up your settings and restore them as well.
- language setting in Danish, French, German, English (US, or UK), Spanish, Italian and Russian.

Bottom line, awesome app. Definitively buying the paid app which is only $1.00 supporting the developer.

TS out

I was excited about Light Flow as well, but on my phone it seems to have caused a Partial Wake lock which degrades battery performance.

See this thread on the Motorola owner's forum - my post #43 is near the bottom of the page. I have contacted the developer directly.

Also, I found elsewhere on this forum that the Sprint Photon manual is in error about how and when the light is supposed to function.

I still love my MoPho :)

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones