1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support LED Notification Light

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KupKrazy, Feb 15, 2011.

1. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast

Am I right in assuming that the LED notification light on the Inspire is not multicolor like the Desire was? I think I've only seen Green and Amber so far, but I notice that Handcent (SMS app) on the Inspire doesn't give the option to change the color of the light whereas Handcent on the Desire does?

I know it's kinda nitpicky but I liked that on my Desire. :) Otherwise, I'm extremely pleased with the phone!

Advertisement

2. gtalum

gtalum Well-Known Member

I know I've seen green, amber, and red, and I think I've seen white too. It can probably make any color with the right software.

3. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

its an led so any color is theoretically possible. its getting a program to do that sounds to be the issue.

4. KupKrazy

Thanks for the info - it's very strange though why the same app on two phones is showing me controls to change the color of the LED on one, and not on the other. I assumed it detected something. I just checked that it's the same version of the app as well. Interesting.

5. kstruck

kstruck Well-Known Member

I have Touchdown installed for getting my Exchange email and it has options to change the color of the LED when I get a new email. I went and changed the color to RED, but it does not seem to work on the Inspire as it blinks GREEN wen I get the email.

It would be great if we could change the color so if someone figures it out let that would be great.

6. jacquespdx

jacquespdx Lurker

No, LEDs don't work that way.

7. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

It could work only if the LED is an RGB unit (Red, Green, Blue.)

8. Manny05

Manny05 Newbie

i thought i was the only one that had that problem.
    i wanted to change it to blue or red

9. Blanco720

10. ktoth04

ktoth04 Lurker

Most LEDs are single color only actually. Just because it is an LED doesn't mean its possible. Though it doesn't mean its impossible either.

11. ktoth04

ktoth04 Lurker

Right, thats one specific LED, which is actually made up of 3 LEDs. The three LEDs on that 'tricolor' LED have light which mixes, like the 3 colors of ink in your printer, to produce light in 'any' color. The point was that it isn't one LED, its 3. So a normal LED really doesn't work like that.

12. Blanco720

LEDs come in two types: RGB (tri color) and RGY (iirc). As far as I know, it isn't three LEDs, its one that is capable of RGB value inputs. If this is the case, you can easily alter the values of RGB to produce, in theory, any color in the visible light spectrum. I couldn't find any information on the exact type of LED that is used in the Inspire.

13. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

Geez guys, don't OCD on this. It's three LEDs that are so close together that it appears as a single component. Different colors are produced by quickly strobing the different LEDs to produce any color.

14. aparis99

aparis99 Newbie

lol, ok, so have we established if this is a single wvaelength LED or a RGB LED?

15. Blanco720

Ok, this guy emailed HTC and asked if it was TRI colored LED. It is. Linky below.

DHD LED - Tri-colour Confirmed - xda-developers

Text is as follows:

kstruck likes this.
  16. Gobbles

Gobbles Newbie

I had a thought the other day. Even if the color can't be changed it might be kind of neat if the LED could flash in a sequence. Say you get a text, then you could set it to do quick double flashes for every flash. Or if you get an e-mail, then you could set it to do 3 quick flashes during every flash. Then if you had a text and an email, it would rotate between a double flash and a triple flash. Not sure if I explained that very good or how well it would work, but it may work....somehow.:D

17. Blanco720

They have apps like that for blackerrys. Not sure why we cant with the Inspire. Maybe its just a matter of time.

18. This is already available. For instance with chomp sms I can change the way the LED flashes.

19. Gobbles

Gobbles Newbie

Hey that's pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up. I'm an android noob.

20. No prob :)

21. KupKrazy

LOL, it's confirmed? I read that thread and it looks like they're saying that it's just a green/orange led. (well, greed and red but mix it together to get orange or something like that - haha)

22. LittleAnt

LittleAnt Well-Known Member

Yea, i don't think this is resolved at all. I just read the HTC Inspire manual, and it states that there are only two colors currently used for notifications: Green & Red. However, my phone only shows green and ORANGE. I've never even seen it go RED on my phone!
    Regardless, it seems that this all still can be done with a DUAL color LED (green & red).

Is there any confirmation of Blue (or any non-red-green shade??), let alone the ability to change this?

23. brounmoney

brounmoney Android Enthusiast

ok so I just downloaded "LED me know" app from the market and it does work on the inspire. You can change the notification light for different apps like sms, email, and missed calls. The only thing is it only lets you use amber and green. I know this is not much but it is much better than just having the green. You can also change how fast it blinks. I like it better than just the green.