• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LeeDroid 2.4 out today !

I don't like red exclamation marks in my notification bar ;)

I heard it can be a security risk as well because I think it allows debug code to be run on the phone.
It might be my imagination as well but it seemed to me the phone lags a bit more when used with a USB cable plugged in.

I must be spoiled. In gingervillain I have "USB debugging notify" option which turns off the notification.

My USB debugging is always running.

Upvote 0
What is this misconception that only HTC sense roms integrate with facebook?

Do AOSP ROMs update the contacts list with facebook status?
(Not that it isn't generally flubbery anyway.)

I have been toying with the idea of going with GingerVillain now I seem to have weaned myself off Sense ;)

What does the Contacts and dialler look like with GV?

Upvote 0
I am also interested in knowing if you can integrate Facebook contacts with your phone. I have tried GingerVillain for a week but I always seem to noticed a few things that I loved about HTC which are the dialer, contacts, gallery and camera. I did find replacement apps but its not as good as the HTC ones. I like having my shutter sound off as the one from the stock camera is very very loud (I can't keep turning off all sounds as I might forget to turn it back on).

Then Lee came out with the NoSense patch and just flashed it today, it's a little slow in some places but I think I'll stick with it for now. I have been using LauncherPro Plus for months now so I never cared much for the Sense launcher and widgets anyway.

I am also curious about the red exclamation mark you're talking about Kibbster. I have my USB debugging on all the time and I never see it, when does it appear? All the time or only when its plugged in by USB to the computer?

What does the Contacts and dialler look like with GV?
I hate the stock contacts and dialer as they're just one application so everytime I open it, it takes me to my whole contact list even if I select the Dialer from the App drawer. It also doesn't search by name when you type in the number which is something I have been accustomed to in HTC's dialer. I did find a replacement app and its called Dialer One. I think you should just try GingerVillain to see what's it about. It was very fast though.

Upvote 0
I am also curious about the red exclamation mark you're talking about Kibbster. I have my USB debugging on all the time and I never see it, when does it appear? All the time or only when its plugged in by USB to the computer?

I hate the stock contacts and dialer as they're just one application so everytime I open it, it takes me to my whole contact list even if I select the Dialer from the App drawer. It also doesn't search by name when you type in the number which is something I have been accustomed to in HTC's dialer. I did find a replacement app and its called Dialer One. I think you should just try GingerVillain to see what's it about. It was very fast though.

It only shows when a USB lead is plugged in, but as I work from home and my phone is in a deskdock that almost 100% of the time for me.
But I installed a theme to change the notification bar to white rather than black and the Exclamation mark has disappeared, still got the notification itself but I can deal with that :)

I looked at some Gingervillian screenshots and all I can say is ugh....
I'll take a look at gingervillian at some point but I think I'll be adding some new apps and widgets because parts of it look horrible compared to Sense.

Can you press the search button on the phone to search through contacts?
(didn't realise you could do that with the stock HTC one till recently.)

Upvote 0
Well my phone is all backed up so will probably take a look at GV today.
If I don't like it I can always run back to LeeDroid :)

Unfortunately I have an interview this afternoon so this morning isn't the best time to be getting a completely new phone UI because either something won't be working properly before the interview or I'll be stressing/ dreaming about my ROM through the interview lol

Upvote 0
Ah no it only shows Facebook status if you open a contact.

To force the dialer to open when you open.the phone app, simply tick the "return to dialer after call" option.

There isn't a type a number and.names come up option. There is a press the search button and type letters option though.

I like it. Very clean and simple. Works well

Edit. I'm on my way to.an interview right now. Very nervous.

Good luck

Upvote 0
I'll be checking this out when I have a few spare moments.

Interesting to see some comments about USB Debugging. I've just made a thread on something 2.3d related on the subject. In short, I've basically noticed the warning coming up whenever I put the phone on charge. I haven't changed any options re: USB Debugging, but it's just started appearing. I have no idea why though!

Good luck to those who have interviews as well!

Upvote 0
looks like a huge upgrade from 2.3d

Hmm, huge? Other than kernel and app updates, which I've done myself anyway, I don't see that much change. Plus my battery life has been ridiculously good since the last kernel update, running 2.3d.

Plus I'd have to replace the messaging APK, my framework, &c, and right now I'm lazy, especially if the benefits are so minor.

Has anyone had any problem dismissing alarms with Sense stripped off? I ran into that problem once when I got rid of Sense myself, and would prefer to never have it happen again. A battery pull while an alarm is blaring is really not so simple after a night out.

Upvote 0
Has anyone had any problem dismissing alarms with Sense stripped off? I ran into that problem once when I got rid of Sense myself, and would prefer to never have it happen again. A battery pull while an alarm is blaring is really not so simple after a night out.
I read that over in xda, someone mentioned that he was having that problem. Lee acknowledged the problem but no fix (might have it on 2.4a), Lee just said to use a different alarm app instead. I also read over there, someone verified it and his alarm was working fine, so I guess its hit or miss. I haven't tried it myself as I rarely use the alarm on my phone.

Upvote 0
I read that over in xda, someone mentioned that he was having that problem. Lee acknowledged the problem but no fix (might have it on 2.4a), Lee just said to use a different alarm app instead. I also read over there, someone verified it and his alarm was working fine, so I guess its hit or miss. I haven't tried it myself as I rarely use the alarm on my phone.

I saw that too and set an alarm and it worked fine.

Upvote 0
I've not had any problems with LeeDroid (apart from the USB debugging) but I might flash GV1.8 anyway just for fun (who'd have thought it, gone from nub to fun flasher in a week or so :p )

Should be interesting as I have started drinking, drunken flashing... yay!
Just remember to move Dalvik cache to ext partition before restoring your apps. I made that mistake and didn't read it so when I was restoring my apps through Titanium, told me that my internal storage was full (since dalvik cache was stored there by default). It was posted in the OP too lol.

Upvote 0
as its only really a kernel update, im gonna leave it be really....mines running perfect as it is...plus I REALLY cannot be bothered going through stripping things again lol

and johnny bravo, I've JUST noticed the 'occiasiona;' USB debug notification come up when charging...only twice in the last couple of days...other than that it never comes on..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones