• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Legend Froyo Tips / Tricks / Observations

staffsmatt

Jun 7, 2010
Hi All, just thought I'd start off a thread for Legend Froyo goodness..

a few things that I've noticed:

SMS POPUP: if you don't use buttons you now need to long press on the senders name / number to get the popup options.

Wallpapers: we have live wallpapers now but can't change the lock screen wallpaper indipendantly from the normal wallpaper (as far as I can see)

Messaging: the layout has been changed a bit and the order has been put right (thank god!)

Anything else please post :)

I have also noticed that:

> There's a new "Flashlight" app that successfully uses the camera's LED light

> There's a new "AppSharing" app that allows you to share the applications on your device with others

> There are new menu animations... that have a zoom-in / zoom-out effect. For example... if you're in the settings menu... if you press the "home" button you will see the effect

> There is now a voice recognition feature. See menu\settings\voice input & output

> If your keyboard layout is "Phone Keypad" or "Compact QWERTY" you cannot minimize the keyboard which is quite annoying

> The HTC Legend now has the ability to be a Wi-Fi hotspot. See "wireless & networks"

> The "Manage Applications" menu now has more functionality, although I haven't figured out how to move already installed apps to the SD card

> The Youtube app has been upgraded (see new icon)

> There is a new "News & Weather" app

> There is a new "Videos" app

> The "FM Radio" app seems to have been updated. But all I see that is new is that the background is now blue instead of orange

> The "GTalk" app has been updated

> The messages app has now been fixed and all new text messages display first but I can't seem to change the font size of the messages. (the default size is quite big)

Upvote 0
I have also noticed that:

> The "Manage Applications" menu now has more functionality, although I haven't figured out how to move already installed apps to the SD card

Click on each application and there you will find a button MOVE TO SD CARD ... you have to do that for each application at once.

But don't forget, that not all applications are programmed to move.

RRR :cool:

Upvote 0
Mine seemed slow and clunky after the upgrade, so I did a factory reset as recommended in another thread. It seems to have done the trick, it's all ok now.
Good points I've noticed, these really got on my nerves before:
Email task-switches properly now. You can use another app and go back to your message, and it's just as you left it.
When you use backspace to reject a suggestion, it doesn't remove the space before the word any more.
Flashlight app!

Bad points:
No picture on the lock screen anymore. I really liked mine.
You can't stop Gmail sync. Now I get a reminder that I have more spam every time I boot.
You can't install Google maps 4.4.0. Well you can, and it works fine, but it's replaced with 4.5.0 when you reboot. No useful improvements in 4.5.0, just a search bar wasting screen space.
Text input does seem a bit laggy writing this.

Upvote 0
I take that back about not being able to stop Gmail sync. I just looked again and there were boxes to uncheck. I'd swear they weren't there before the reset.
I'd definitely recommend a factory reset after the upgrade. My phone was doing a few odd things that seem to be cleared up now.

Upvote 0
My phone is no where near what it was it's slow, hangs and is generally slugish. Live wallpapers made my phone so slow it was annoying, just scrolling through the home screens is chopy. I have done all of the above things including a factory reset (I had just got my phone the way I wanted it on 2.1) and just when I think its going ok it does some quite random/weird thing to prove me wrong.

The youtube app crashes most of the time, the friendstream widget takes forever to update as do the other FB apps out there, gmail will no longer sync telling me there is a server error and please try later. I havnt been able to sync my contacts with my google account since the update.

The only 2 things that are improvements are the flashlight app and the sms fix

I will look into going back to 2.1 real soon I think, thank you vodafone UK (contract)

Upvote 0
Hi there, is this happening before you install any apps (after the data factory reset)?

There may be an app that you have that does not play nicely with 2.2 (especially task killers).

You could try another data factory reset (sorry) and then don't install anything for a while and see how your speed is...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replys guys

staffsmatt, I cannot say if this was the case immediatly after the facotry reset, what I can say is that I deliberatly put just a few apps on after the reboot, ebuddy,3g watchdog and angry birds. I mostly use the HTC widgets to fill my screens so dont really need a lot of apps. Another factory reset might fix but I want to stear clear of that if I can. i never use taskillers

Martin L, thanks for that tip, I did move what apps I could to the sd card, my thinking was to keep the phone memory as clean as possible in some effort to keep my phone running smoothly (ironic). I shall move them back and see if that makes a difference.

still need to sync my contacts with google, I can do a backup of them but Im desperate to get my contacts into my google account, it will sync contacts on sim card but not on phone memory *_*

Upvote 0
Hi, where did the contacts come from originally? Did you enter them into the phone? If you go to Menu > Settings > Account & Sync are your Background data and Auto - sync turned on? Also if you tap on your google account on this screen is there a tick next to contacts?

Oh another thought is your Calendar syncing or is nothing on your google account syncing at all?

Upvote 0
Hi, where did the contacts come from originally? Did you enter them into the phone? If you go to Menu > Settings > Account & Sync are your Background data and Auto - sync turned on? Also if you tap on your google account on this screen is there a tick next to contacts?

Oh another thought is your Calendar syncing or is nothing on your google account syncing at all?

hello,

well the contacts were on my old phone (samsung tocco) I had to move all the contacts to my sim then when the new phone came placed the sim in it and moved the contacts to the phone memory.
The few contacts that have sync'd to my google account are new contacts I manualy put in when out one night that saved to my sim.

Background data and Auto - sync are turned on, if i tap on my google account there are 3 sync options

1 sync contacts- is checked but has red '!' next to the sync icon with a message at the bottom of the page saying 'Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.' It never comes back. Last sucsesfull sync was sun, nov 28

2 sync Gmail- no problems

3 sync calender no problems reported allthough when I go to my calender online it is empty

Upvote 0
Hmm you could try HTC sync to get the contacts onto your PC (probably in a csv file) and then import them direct to your gmail account on the web (contact management is MUCH easier done through gmail on the web).

They might sync then... It may be that your old phone did something strange when exporting your contacts (I know nokias put all number in Other which won't show up on windows mobile phones).

Upvote 0
I have backed up my contacts to my pc and my sd card and my dropbox account lol

im not worried about losing anything, I just want the damm thing to work how its sposed to. I WAS able to sync with my account before the update. My contacts are constantly changing and so I need my list to be updated weekly

ill give your idea to use the csv file but thats a hassle I could do without week in and week out

if i do another factory reset can i create a new google account or did i read somwhere that it is (google account) forever linked to my phone?

Upvote 0
Hi, hopefully once all of the contacts are in gmail then it should all sync ok (it sounds like new ones you enter are syncing ok already unless I've misunderstood?)... It's strange that contacts that must have been in gmail before your update are now gone after it.... They weren't facebook contacts or anything like that were they?

You can create another google account and link it with your phone but you would probably lose any paid apps tied to your old account (I'm not sure if it is possible to move your purchase history from one account to another...)

Upvote 0
So just now I downloaded & installed the 2.2 update on my legend. the horrible thing is, the phone part isn't working at all. I don't know why but when the phone starts after installing, it goes to the usual 2.1 lock screen saying NO SERVICE while in fact I inserted my usual sim card. all the 7 home screens are empty, and when I tap the (+) icon or the menu icon on the left bottom corner nothing happens. Not long after that there's the usual "force close" box saying the phone isn't working. I'm really desperate and don't know what to do.... Is there any way to soft / hard reset the phone without using the home interface?

I'll really appreciate your help. Thanks.

a little update : after trying to press anything on the phone, turns out the search button is working. I try some apps and they all work flawlessly... I think it's the problem with the home / phone part of the phone. anybody know how to fix this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones