• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Legitimate AT&T tethering

StevenW.

Lurker
Mar 4, 2011
I am planning on switching to the 4gb tethering plan, which is apparently a very uncommon thing, as the only info on tethering I have found is on how to do it for free. I assume the approved version is a little different, so I have a few questions (I'll be using usb tethering).

Do I need to download anything on my Atrix or computer beforehand? Is there some AT&T or Motorola provided app I need? Are there any settings I need to adjust?

I haven't had access to wifi for months, so I haven't been able to grab the last couple updates. Will that be a problem?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but I haven't been able to find any kind of guide on this and I just want make sure everything works before I go and give AT&T more of my money.

Thanks.

No biggie, I am glad you asked (asking makes experts out of all of us :D) anyways. Once the tethering plan is active with AT&T or whoever you go with, go into settings --> wireless --> tethering (or mobile hotspot, can't remember what it is called now that I am in GB) and enable wifi hotspot or usb tethering. It will check with AT&T if you have the plan, and if you do, it will activate and start working. Simple as that. Just make sure you setup a wifi password if you do :p I also recommend downloading 3G Watchdog - free app. As it will monitor your data usage so you know if you get near the 4GB limit.

Reactions: StevenW.
Upvote 0
Do you mean USB tethering in general is not an option? If that is the case, then that's pretty disappointing, and not cool on AT&T's part for not mentioning that anywhere. But its not really a huge deal, since I only needed the USB tethering for my desktop, and I can still use the wifi hotspot on my laptop. Thanks anyway, everyone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones