1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Legitimate AT&T tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by StevenW., Jul 24, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    I am planning on switching to the 4gb tethering plan, which is apparently a very uncommon thing, as the only info on tethering I have found is on how to do it for free. I assume the approved version is a little different, so I have a few questions (I'll be using usb tethering).

Do I need to download anything on my Atrix or computer beforehand? Is there some AT&T or Motorola provided app I need? Are there any settings I need to adjust?

I haven't had access to wifi for months, so I haven't been able to grab the last couple updates. Will that be a problem?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but I haven't been able to find any kind of guide on this and I just want make sure everything works before I go and give AT&T more of my money.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    No biggie, I am glad you asked (asking makes experts out of all of us :D) anyways. Once the tethering plan is active with AT&T or whoever you go with, go into settings --> wireless --> tethering (or mobile hotspot, can't remember what it is called now that I am in GB) and enable wifi hotspot or usb tethering. It will check with AT&T if you have the plan, and if you do, it will activate and start working. Simple as that. Just make sure you setup a wifi password if you do :p I also recommend downloading 3G Watchdog - free app. As it will monitor your data usage so you know if you get near the 4GB limit.

StevenW. likes this.
  3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks!

I have wireless hotspot running, but I can't find any options relating to USB tethering. Any ideas?

4. Jazonknight

Jazonknight Newbie
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    make sure you are not in the hot spot go to your home screen then press menu key then go settings > wireless & networks > Tethering & Mobile hotspot there will be the usb tethering as the first check box. I noticed if you go to the hotspot app it is for the wifi only.

james27007 likes this.
  5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm. I don't have "Tethering and Mobile Hotspot" in my settings, just "Mobile Hotspot."

6. Jazonknight

Jazonknight Newbie
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    StevenW I have GingerBread OTA if you have froyo i believe it is not an option.

StevenW. likes this.
  7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Do you mean USB tethering in general is not an option? If that is the case, then that's pretty disappointing, and not cool on AT&T's part for not mentioning that anywhere. But its not really a huge deal, since I only needed the USB tethering for my desktop, and I can still use the wifi hotspot on my laptop. Thanks anyway, everyone.