• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lesbian Awarded Damages for Prom Ban

To be fair I have always felt like I'm a woman trapped in a man's body...

Good job I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body :p

I think it is probably much easier to be a lesbian trapped in a woman's body, but that may just be me.

as long as your happy with who you are, thats good enough.
Except for my teenage years, I always have been.

Upvote 0
I think it all boils down to your interpretation of equal. As Orwell said, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." I think that some people actually do expect to be more equal than others. I also think that some people believe certain things about other groups and how things are for them in the world. Do you remember the old Saturday Night Live sketch where Eddie Murphy puts on make-up to be white? Most everyone I know laughs at that sketch because of how far fetched it is, while I am sure that some people actually believe that is how it is. They expect that kind of equality while others realize that it will never actually happen. Others actually celebrate the fact that they are different and expect people to accept that they are. Either way it all boils down to the interpretation of equality. Women have been fighting for equal rights for years and while we are pretty close, there are still some obstacles in the way or true equality.

I had not read where she wanted to go in a tux (link to article please, I am interested), but it really shouldn't matter even if she did. Unless there was a rule that stated girls have to wear dresses and boys have to wear tuxedos then it wasn't an issue. I am sure that there where some guys that that wanted to go in drag, even though they probably wouldn't admit it. One prom I attended had several straight couples that dressed in drag (men wearing the dresses and women wearing the tuxedos. It was good fun for them and they appeared to have a blast that night. Me going to the prom with my girlfriend at the time almost went unnoticed.

Yes there is problems with equality, and perhaps these extreme measures are the only way to bring these to light, but I believe that if you want equal rights, you do not have to scream it from the mountain. There is no problem with celebrating what makes us unique, but when you're called ignorant and intolerant just because you do not agree with their lifestyles, there becomes a problem. I would love to be in a world where minorities are not treated differently than anyone else, but the feeling that their time is due up for special treatment prevents this. Not trying to say all minorities are like this, but the most vocal of them are.

Constance McMillen to Settle Lawsuit - Lez Get Real

It wasn't the fact that she wanted to wear a tuxedo, or go with her girlfriend, it was how she went about it. If she REALLY wanted to go to prom like everyone else, she would have just done so, and not make it a point to tell inform everyone of her plans.

Upvote 0
Yes there is problems with equality, and perhaps these extreme measures are the only way to bring these to light, but I believe that if you want equal rights, you do not have to scream it from the mountain. There is no problem with celebrating what makes us unique, but when you're called ignorant and intolerant just because you do not agree with their lifestyles, there becomes a problem. I would love to be in a world where minorities are not treated differently than anyone else, but the feeling that their time is due up for special treatment prevents this. Not trying to say all minorities are like this, but the most vocal of them are.

It wasn't the fact that she wanted to wear a tuxedo, or go with her girlfriend, it was how she went about it. If she REALLY wanted to go to prom like everyone else, she would have just done so, and not make it a point to tell inform everyone of her plans.

I don't see where she went about it in any odd way. She wasn't yelling from the rooftops or anything. It reads as though she called the school to get tickets or to double check and make sure it wasn't going to be an issue. If it was such a big deal then they should have said something then.

As far as how she was treated, did you read any of the linked articles?

American Family Association Attacks Constance McMillen Settlement - Lez Get Real

Upvote 0

personally, and no pun intended what so ever here, but i think the girl has a pair of big brass bollocks for what she did. and she has my respect and admirations for that.

Upvote 0
personally, and no pun intended what so ever here, but i think the girl has a pair of big brass bollocks for what she did. and she has my respect and admirations for that.

As political as I can be, not here, and as outspoken as I am; I can't say that I would have had the "bollocks", as you put it, to do something like that as a teen. When I was a teen I was lucky enough to be accepted by my family and the people around me pretty quickly when I came out. There were people that had a problem with it, PTA members that swore up and down I was going to make the whole cheerleading squad gay :rolleyes:, but overall it wasn't THAT big of a deal. Like I said before, it was barely even noticed that I took my girlfriend to the prom. I couldn't imagine dealing with all the stuff teenagers already deal with on top of dealing with being hated for who I am.

Upvote 0
well my teen years were rubbish, thats why i joined the army at 17 and spent spent 13 very happy years in service to queen and country.

every one wants to be trapped in a woman's body. whether your a lesbian or not. LOL

I know about the roumors of what happens in the army but dude, are you trying to tell us something?

No offence but if you want to be a man in a womans body then you either need to step out from Narnia or rethink your posts LMAO :D:D:D:p

Upvote 0
As political as I can be, not here, and as outspoken as I am; I can't say that I would have had the "bollocks", as you put it, to do something like that as a teen. When I was a teen I was lucky enough to be accepted by my family and the people around me pretty quickly when I came out. There were people that had a problem with it, PTA members that swore up and down I was going to make the whole cheerleading squad gay :rolleyes:, but overall it wasn't THAT big of a deal. Like I said before, it was barely even noticed that I took my girlfriend to the prom. I couldn't imagine dealing with all the stuff teenagers already deal with on top of dealing with being hated for who I am.

But I save money not buying str............ Nah I aint gonna go there :eek: :D :p

I think that only happens in the movies anyway :( :rolleyes:

LMAO! I know where you were going with that. Dirty dirty mind.

No comment BTW.:p

Upvote 0

i'm glad that your family accepted you for the person you are. sadly thats not always the case. my cousin the same age as i am told his parents he was gay when he was 18 and they pretty much disowned him.
as for "coming out" during your school years. i could never image more intimidating or scary time in ones life to have to make those kind of decisions.

Upvote 0
I know about the roumors of what happens in the army but dude, are you trying to tell us something?

No offence but if you want to be a man in a womans body then you either need to step out from Narnia or rethink your posts LMAO :D:D:D:p

lol. i dont really know how to answer that one.
except to say that my meaning to being trapped in a woman's body was meant more in a biblical sense of the word.

Upvote 0
Well said dog.

Here is my back ground for light reading and relation to the thread...

4 members of my family are gay (I use this as a term for both sexes)

My uncle who was a devout Christian, he got married had 3 kids and was ordained as a minister and can still marry or bury you. He left his with and kids and came out of the closet, he then married (civil service) his partner Tony who I will always call aunty Tony and started up a psychic telephone company that he has now sold for

Reactions: ThreeDog
Upvote 0
Good for her and anyone else that follows in her footsteps.

How astute of you, she is gay. Also, women who are gay are more commonly referred to as lesbians. I am sure that you were just pointing out to others that may not understand the story that Ms. McMillen was in fact gay and not trying to use the term in any negative way about the thread, right?
wrong; he was using humor.
and your vampire avatar offends me.

Upvote 0
It still gets me, If someone has "injustice" done to them why do they need money?

Ahem...

Let me think...

Who was it and what country did the person live in that sued McDonald's after they burnt themselves after drinking a "hot" cup of coffee?

What country has sued fast food places for making them fat?

What country has people who sue company's/people because they cant use their own common sence and unless the packet of nut says "Caution may contain nuts" a person with a nut allergy can sue KP nuts because they eat some of their nuts and they was not warned that the packet of nut they have brought actually does contain NUTS!

It has become the norm to sue due to people having a lack of what is commonly known as "Common Sence"

Anyway I'm British and we like sarcasm as houmor so please take a guess at where this idea of suing anyone for anything came from :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It still gets me, If someone has "injustice" done to them why do they need money?

Yes the school was wrong, Yes they needed to be punished

HELL NO did that girl need any amount of money. Besides maybe court fees for challenging the school.

Since this has been said a few times I am curious as to how the school should have been punished and what form of compensation the young lady should have received?

wrong; he was using humor.
and your vampire avatar offends me.

And the word gay by itself is funny in what way?

As far as my avatar goes, sorry you are offended. Hope you can find some way to deal with it. Personally, I am offended deeply by your lack of avatar.

Upvote 0
Since this has been said a few times I am curious as to how the school should have been punished and what form of compensation the young lady should have received?

She should not have received any sort of compensation. Thats life deal with it.
She should be happy with the fact that she fixed an injustice. She has no need for 35,000 dollars.

And the school could still be punished by a fine. But make them give the money to something else maybe the state, a fund for something, I don't know. But a single girl does not need that money.

This is the reason why America has bums who jump from job to job hoping they can find a reason to sue so they can get bank.

Upvote 0
well gay was funny because it is a slang term used to describe anything "not cool" and yet in the situation applied to the story directly. (surely you didnt need that explanation).

though if it makes you and everyone else feel better; i find that anyone should be allowed to bring whomever they wish to such a public social event and not be discriminated against.

but im not gonna have a degradative; "i know you didnt" for what was an obvious and humorous (to some; possibly even a gay person) joke.

but way to put him in his place.
i dont have an avatar because im afraid of offending you; i guess it backfired.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones