1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support less apps on home screen than Note 1!?!?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by old git, Aug 5, 2013.

1. old git

old git Lurker
    None

Oct 22, 2011
    Hi. I've just upgraded from a Note 1 to a Note 2 and it seems as if the Note 1 could have 25 apps on each home screen (5 accross & 5 up/down) but the Note 2 only manages 4 each way, so 16 in total - or 9 less than the old phone.
    Is this right or have I missed a setting somewhere? Can anyone help?

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste
    None

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    That's right for Touchwiz. Try Holo HD or Nova Or Apex launcher. Some allow up to 10 x 10 grid if you need lots of icons.

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I don't know about the Samsung software, but you could always use a third party launcher (Nova, Apex, etc). Most of those let you set your own preferred grid size.

4. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    You are correct and not imagining things with the screen.

You have to remember that the screen aspect ratio and resolution are different between the Notes. The Note 1 has a 16:10 ratio and 1280x800 resolution (allowing the 5x5 home screen). The Note 2 has a 16:9 ratio and 1280x720 resolution (allowing for 4x4 home screen).

But, as previously stated, you can use a third party launcher to overcome this. But you will lose TouchWiz specific widgets if you use them as they do not scale properly with other launchers. If you stick with TouchWiz, this is the limitation you will have to deal with.

5. NeuDroid

NeuDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2012
    I've tried using other launchers and aside from the ability to squeeze more apps on the screen, I just don't see the big deal. I still find myslef going back to touchwiz over and over.

6. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

Jul 30, 2010
    Nova Launcher Pro!!! Currently running with 8x8 grid, but can go up to 16x16.

7. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    Why install a new launcher? Use Multicon if you need to.

But there is an issue being skirted here--that is this 4x4 nonsense of Android. These phones are bigger and bigger nowadays, there's no reason we can't have 5x5 on the home screens. I've used Android for 3 years and preached about its strengths, but there's been some issues with the overall implementation and carrier specific-mods that are *really* ruining it's efficiency.

Look at the Note 2 on Verizon. To turn on GPS, users can't just hit the toggle, they have to acknowledge a stupid disclaimer as well. It's ******ed.

The columns/rows? Really? We have HD phones nowadays and we get stuck with 4x4?

Google needs to man up. Apple isn't putting out any significant differences in carrier versions of iOS. Why's Google being someone's prag? That's prison-property-of-another if you are unfamiliar with the show "Oz."

I was uber excited about the Note 2, I waited several months for my upgrade in order to get it(even bought a used Bionic to get me by). I was anticipating 5 icons rows like the Note 1, and was disappointed when I saw only 4. The phone was great when it came out, but after the few updates it's received, it's become terrible with battery life, lots of browser memory problems(freezing and crashing). I'm not doing a full phone wipe and starting over, I don't care about Titanium backup, I've had problems with apps not working correctly afterwards.

I have an iPhone from work, I hate it and will not be turning that direction. But honestly, I'm at the point where I might actually give a Windows phone a shot because of this nonsense. There's certain(actually functional) widgets that I interact with on my main screen. Having to swipe left 3 screens to get to them is not efficient.

8. Munky78

Munky78 Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2013
    This is my setup with Apex...not too crowded once you adjust sizes and such.

Attached Files: